List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think the ppl pandering for more high end draft picks should go and have a look at that 3peat. Even with me saying that i am setting a really high bar we do not need to be that good. So look at the lineup at ask ureself how many were traded in how many from the rookie draft etc. I am sure someone has already done this. Get back to me with the numbers
I think you probably want to google the definition of pandering…

Not to derail the thread.

The Richmond and West Coast sides from 2017 and 2018 weren't full of first rounders either.

I've gone of record of saying this before, but our Fab 5 are Newcombe, Day, Sicily, Moore and Lewis. Only one was a first rounder. All 5 would be walk up starts to any side in the competition.

The number of first round picks means nothing. How you develop the players you have means a hell of a lot more.

I haven't looked at WCE, Geelong or the Pies yet, but Richmond certainly had their share of first and second round picks.

Richmond 2017, 2019 and 2020:

R1 - Pick 2) Cotchin ***
R1 - Pick 3) Dusty ***
R1 - Pick 7) Caddy (trade) **
R1 - Pick 9) Vlastuin ***
R1 - Pick 9) Prestia (trade) ***
R1 - Pick 11) Lynch (FA) **
R1 - Pick 13) Reiwoldt ***
R1 - Pick 15) Ellis **
R1 - Pick 15) Rioli ***
R1 - Pick 18) Rance ***

R2 - Pick 19) Grigg (trade) *
R2 - Pick 25) Balta *
R2 - Pick 26) Edwards ***
R2 - Pick 29) Bolton **
R2 - Pick 31) McIntosh ***
R2 - Pick 35) Astbury ***
R2 - Pick 35) Nankervis (trade) ***

R3 - Pick 42) Houli (PSD) ***
R3 - Pick 53) Graham *

R4 - Pick 67) Butler **
R4 - Pick 67) Broad ***

R1 Rookie - Pick 11) Short **
R2 Rookie - Pick 18) Baker **
R2 Rookie - Pick 29) Castagna ***
R2 Rookie - Pick 32) Townsend (trade) *
R3 Rookie - Pick 46) Lambert ***
R4 Rookie - Pick 68) Soldo *

R1 PSD - Pick 10) Grimes ***

R1 MSD - Pick 14) Pickett **

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To anyone that thinks we don't already have a solid base or we need more high draft picks, I really think you need to have a closer look at things.
The point is, the club believes we have not just the nucleus but a list now that will deliver us sustainable success in time as these players naturally develop. With the players we know we're getting in the draft we're comfortable enough to head into 2024 with a full list.

We draft for a purpose. We didn't take Henry at 37 because we thought we'd take a chance and we didn't take Max because we had a spot open so why not? We picked them both because we saw both as becoming integral parts of our next generation success. I've picked those two as examples because the club is very big on both in the next two years. I think you'll see Max playing regular senior footy from early next year and Henry cementing a spot after the bye.
They're precisely the type of players we want - we saw ourselves as needing - and yeah they could turn out to be busts but right now we have faith they'll become what we think they can achieve. That's why we drafted them particularly.

The elite nucleus is there, the base is very definitely there and the talent is coming out. We'll be approaching 2024 with a full list and a fair bit of confidence.
The base to compete is there if they all/most come on. This is going to be the big challenge for our list in the coming years is continuing to fill out our list while turning potential into performance.

It’s probably the hardest part to do. Plenty of teams end up with a lot of talent. Not many ride that talent to the top of the ladder.

The big ask is being able to now get our players to be the best they can be while also gelling more as a team. Not all will come on. It’s about being able to fill holes that emerge and have enough come on that we can be a premiership threat.

Yep. Wants 2 years and they'll do it.
Be foolhardy in the extreme if the Hawks were to give Chad a two year contract with his injury history and coming of an Achilles.

Pies very much in the win another flag now mode before their core of vets in Pendles, Sidebottom, etc pull the pin which is fair enough but that's not where the Hawks are at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back