List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
if we are looking for a temporary stop gap forward for one season....Buddy? I know he's cooked but even an overdone Bud would kick 30 goals in the 16 games he'd play (managed rest for 4 games and 3 games suspended through the year for accidentally walking into to someone I mean it is Buddy)

not the dumbest idea I've heard even if I do say so myself

if we are looking for a temporary stop gap forward for one season....Buddy? I know he's cooked but even an overdone Bud would kick 30 goals in the 16 games he'd play (managed rest for 4 games and 3 games suspended through the year for accidentally walking into to someone I mean it is Buddy)

not the dumbest idea I've heard even if I do say so myself
Honestly he played one year too many already, he is super, super cooked. And that’s no disrespect to Buddy it’s just his age.

Much rather Chol as we could get 4 even 5 years out of him if his body holds up and he applies himself.

For those not wanting Chol as a 'stop gap', there are several reasons why (IMO) he'd be good for us to have.

Firstly, Lewis is yet to play more than 15 games in a season. Obviously it's ideal for us if that could start changing but it's not guaranteed. It got pretty ugly at times this year with our forward structure and I don't think we want another year of our mids trying to feed a forward line like they had to this year. They need better than a Kosi-Greene-Brockman mould in terms of marking targets. When Lewis doesn't play next year, I'd much rather have Chol leading the charge with Ryan and maybe Rama around him than just the latter 2 by themselves.

And when Lewis DOES play, I think Lewis-Chol-Ryan as targets with Breust, Moore and another small (Watson?) around them is actually structurally sound and potentially damaging enough as a combination to pose a threat to at least average AFL defences. We want our mids developing with a competitive forwardline to reinforce good habits when attacking.

Again, if Lewis should happen to be injured - what would happen if a Ryan-Rama-Meek combo doesn't work? It could get ugly, and we may see more experimenting with Scrim and/or Frost down there or maybe worst of all - Sicily, given someone not in the team will be able to play his role in the meantime. I can't say I'd be optimistic on any of the above getting results.

As other have mentioned, Chol's ability to relieve in the ruck is also a positive because I can't remember the Reeves/Meek duo working well together and he's an upgrade on Kosi and Nash in that space. Maybe the intention one day is Rama could do this but he doesn't look nearly ready for it.

And the last thing I'll add - hypothetically in 3-4 years if we are competing and we do in fact have some other good KPF and R/F supporting Lewis who we have either picked up as FA or through the draft... Every good team needs depth and Chol would be a more-than-capable replacement in those positions should he happen to be needed (and players in those positions often are!).

If that's where this all ends up, that's still a good result for this transaction (and that's without factoring the potential for the deal to also be our shot at getting Pick 4 off them over the other teams!).

For those not wanting Chol as a 'stop gap', there are several reasons why (IMO) he'd be good for us to have.

Firstly, Lewis is yet to play more than 15 games in a season. Obviously it's ideal for us if that could start changing but it's not guaranteed. It got pretty ugly at times this year with our forward structure and I don't think we want another year of our mids trying to feed a forward line like they had to this year. They need better than a Kosi-Greene-Brockman mould in terms of marking targets. When Lewis doesn't play next year, I'd much rather have Chol leading the charge with Ryan and maybe Rama around him than just the latter 2 by themselves.

And when Lewis DOES play, I think Lewis-Chol-Ryan as targets with Breust, Moore and another small (Watson?) around them is actually structurally sound and potentially damaging enough as a combination to pose a threat to at least average AFL defences. We want our mids developing with a competitive forwardline to reinforce good habits when attacking.

Again, if Lewis should happen to be injured - what would happen if a Ryan-Rama-Meek combo doesn't work? It could get ugly, and we may see more experimenting with Scrim and/or Frost down there or maybe worst of all - Sicily, given someone not in the team will be able to play his role in the meantime. I can't say I'd be optimistic on any of the above getting results.

As other have mentioned, Chol's ability to relieve in the ruck is also a positive because I can't remember the Reeves/Meek duo working well together and he's an upgrade on Kosi and Nash in that space. Maybe the intention one day is Rama could do this but he doesn't look nearly ready for it.

And the last thing I'll add - hypothetically in 3-4 years if we are competing and we do in fact have some other good KPF and R/F supporting Lewis who we have either picked up as FA or through the draft... Every good team needs depth and Chol would be a more-than-capable replacement in those positions should he happen to be needed (and players in those positions often are!).

If that's where this all ends up, that's still a good result for this transaction (and that's without factoring the potential for the deal to also be our shot at getting Pick 4 off them over the other teams!).
Very well put 👍

It makes sense on pretty much any metric you care to mention.

The he only concern is his attitude but I think if anyone could get the best out of him it would be Sam.

Why would we want D'Ambrosia?
Where would he play?
I just cannot see the point in chasing him.

I'm hoping High half forward. Wingard replacement.

Elite kick, has a bit of dash and good goal sense.

Question - does anyone else think we need to take one more step backwards, before we can move forward with our list?

Did our late season surge inflate our sense of where we all think we might finish next year? We are definitely on the rise and our development program is coming along really well.

I just worry we might not have the cattle to escape that 8-14 mediocrity zone just yet.

Question - does anyone else think we need to take one more step backwards, before we can move forward with our list?

Did our late season surge inflate our sense of where we all think we might finish next year? We are definitely on the rise and our development program is coming along really well.

I just worry we might not have the cattle to escape that 8-14 mediocrity zone just yet.
Nah building through the draft is gonna get tougher and tougher. The sooner this young group starts playing in big, high pressure games the better. And the sooner we start playing in those games the sooner we can start attracting FAs and trade targets to supplement our young core.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

False dawns have been the curse of many a side. But I reckon we have been pretty realistic and honest as a club about where we're at. I think the club knows we still have a few gaps, hence the hard chase for McKay and the talk of Chol. And hey, some more highish draft picks never goes astray, along with the accelerated development of our kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back