List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t think so.Where did you read that?
Nothing officially announced on either yet, which is why I've left their contract status unchanged as yet in the sticked contracts thread.

The media skuttlebutt is HFC will definitely re-sign Gunston and certainly Breust has made public he is keen to go around.

I believe the Hawks will need to see how the list spots shake up after trade period as you may see either of them moved to the rookie list if required.

Nothing officially announced on either yet, which is why I've left their contract status unchanged as yet in the sticked contracts thread.

The media skuttlebutt is HFC will definitely re-sign Gunston and certainly Breust has made public he is keen to go around.

I believe the Hawks will need to see how the list spots shake up after trade period as you may see either of them moved to the rookie list if required.
Reckon if we win a couple of finals and LB plays his 300th, we may not see him in 2025. He is just about cooked.

Morrison is a UFA and might take an offer elsewhere?
I heard whispers Reeves might be traded?, with Ramsden and the arrival of JUH 2.0 as backup rucks
Wingard - retired
Stephens, Butler, O'Sullivan, B.MacDonald, DGB and Tucker would all be delisted depending on contract status imo
Scaife and Ethan Phillips are just doing enough

Morrison is a UFA and might take an offer elsewhere?
I heard whispers Reeves might be traded?, with Ramsden and the arrival of JUH 2.0 as backup rucks
Wingard - retired
Stephens, Butler, O'Sullivan, B.MacDonald, DGB and Tucker would all be delisted depending on contract status imo
Scaife and Ethan Phillips are just doing enough
Phillips unfortunately is gone mate

Would like to hold on to Reeves unless he wants to leave. Retaining quality ruck insurance is prudent. He had an interrupted pre-season this year and the change of rules for rucks disadvantaged him initially. Then had back problems this year. His back end of '23 was good against quality opponents. Get Ned fit again and he could still show upside.

Several of our recently delisted players have been picked up by other clubs and performed middling to well,( Long and Bramble). With mid season player trading probably happening in '25 we should be re-contracting as many players who show promise as possible. They may be a valuable commodity mid year, even if they are struggling to make the seniors.

Phillips unfortunately is gone mate
Yea that makes sense, because if you're just doing enough and you're new and an older player he could be seen as excess to our needs, also with incoming Barass and Battle (and Frost playing well with Blanck recovering) we don't need Phillips.

Q about draft order. Is it the position of a team after the home and away rounds or after the finals? I assume after the finals. There must be some calculation done about order of finals teams eliminated in the same weekend, too? ie. if Bulldogs and Lions are eliminated this week who finishes lower?

Scaife just doing enough

Just doing enough?

He came over from interstate mid-season, played a handful of games and has impressed in most.

He's gotten quieter the last few, but thats 100% down to a step up in class, travel, stress etc etc

Scaife has shown more than enough to get at least 2 yrs in the AFL system with us.

In his first five (of 7) he kicked 12.10

He's shown plenty more than "just doing enough" IMHO

Q about draft order. Is it the position of a team after the home and away rounds or after the finals? I assume after the finals. There must be some calculation done about order of finals teams eliminated in the same weekend, too? ie. if Bulldogs and Lions are eliminated this week who finishes lower?
After finals.

If Dogs and Lions both lose then I believe Dogs will have the better pick. But if Carlton lose they'll get the better one.

2020 final series Eagles lost their EF in 5th and ended up with the selection (they'd future traded it the previous year) after the Dogs who lost their EF in 7th.

After finals.

If Dogs and Lions both lose then I believe Dogs will have the better pick. But if Carlton lose they'll get the better one.

2020 final series Eagles lost their EF in 5th and ended up with the selection (they'd future traded it the previous year) after the Dogs who lost their EF in 7th.
Yep your right works off ladder position after the finals, This is also how they work out fixture double-ups for 2025. This year if Hawks win the flag they will end up with 18th pick, if lose first week will be pick 12 or (11 if Blues win).

Last edited:
Just doing enough?

He came over from interstate mid-season, played a handful of games and has impressed in most.

He's gotten quieter the last few, but thats 100% down to a step up in class, travel, stress etc etc

Scaife has shown more than enough to get at least 2 yrs in the AFL system with us.

In his first five (of 7) he kicked 12.10

He's shown plenty more than "just doing enough" IMHO

I reckon there is a few on here making assumptions on players based on 1 final they watched on the weekend.

Scaife is 100% a keeper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a regular watcher if Box Hill so can someone give me a run down on why we will be likely to get rid of Phillips?

Whenever I have checked his stats from Box Hill he seems to be getting plenty of the ball and he looked decent when he played his one senior match this year.

Is he just too slow / not athletic enough to be a AFL key defender?

Are we nit two over on the main list (Phillips and Scaife)? Add Battle and Barrass as a minimum we need to delist seven.
I have us at 46 which is two over but this is post adding JUH as Cat B rookie and assumes Cat B counts to the 44 max total.
Mix is wrong though as we have 7 Cat A rookies but max is 6.
So we have 44 spots and with Barrass and Battle we have 42 spots available with 46 on the list. Less Chad who has retired is 45. So 3 to come off plus another 3 to reach minimum for National Draft although we could delist and re-rookie existing players.

I'm not a regular watcher if Box Hill so can someone give me a run down on why we will be likely to get rid of Phillips?

Whenever I have checked his stats from Box Hill he seems to be getting plenty of the ball and he looked decent when he played his one senior match this year.

I'm surprised he's gone - thought there was an (unwritten?) agreement early this year we would extend. That said:

His "one wood" is his ability to read the flight of the incoming ball. He is KPD height, but he plays it like Sicily/Hodge - 100% backing himself to be in the right position ahead of his opponent.

He seems to have spent much of this year "unlearning" his marking and positioning queues, playing from behind, goal side, spoiling his opponent as first priority - playing as a typical dour KPD. For a while, we saw unwanted outcomes - easily outmarked/outpositioned when he was too reactive - spoiling when in best position, etc - but over time he has found that balance.

He's not a particularly pro-active or aggressive disposer of the ball - comfortable link in the chain, but rare to see him creating something through run, vision or kick.

At AFL level, he will be slower than most/all of his opponents, and doesn't appear great in body-work under the high ball.

We don't really have a need for a slowish, tallish intercept CHB/3rd tall whilst we have Sicily and Scrimshaw (and Barass and Battle!), and I feel like Sam prefers his FB to have the physical abilities to cover all types of forwards - so I'm not surprised.

He could do very well at a team like North, playing as the support tall (like McGovern/Weitering, backing their better judgement to leave the 2nd/3rd tall and help the FB). Just not with Hawthorn.

Yep. Younger but slower and ultimately not as good a version of Barrass. Would love to find a way to keep Serong think he’s going to be pretty good but then you have:
KPD - Barrass Frost Blanck Philips
Interceptors - Sicily Scrimshaw Battle Serong McCabe DGB
You can only play 4 of those maybe 5 absolute max and probably 3 are backup so you assume the last 2 leave for better list balance.

Actually over the moon how good a nick Gunston and now Bruest is in. Our conditioning this year across the whole group has been so quality. This break probably works in our favour even more.

Bruest and Gunston may just wind the clock back and put on one of the all time finals performances

Reckon Bruest will finish up. His language around next season has changed. From AFL website when asked about 2025.

“We’ll see how this finals campaign goes. But I’m excited to be part of this group — it’s been building for a few years now and I still think I can play a really good role for this side – whether that’s on or off field,” he said.

“I’ve had a few hiccups this year with my body. If I do go on, I’m certainly keen to rectify that. I feel like if I can get my body right again I can play some good footy.”

I'm surprised he's gone - thought there was an (unwritten?) agreement early this year we would extend. That said:

His "one wood" is his ability to read the flight of the incoming ball. He is KPD height, but he plays it like Sicily/Hodge - 100% backing himself to be in the right position ahead of his opponent.

He seems to have spent much of this year "unlearning" his marking and positioning queues, playing from behind, goal side, spoiling his opponent as first priority - playing as a typical dour KPD. For a while, we saw unwanted outcomes - easily outmarked/outpositioned when he was too reactive - spoiling when in best position, etc - but over time he has found that balance.

He's not a particularly pro-active or aggressive disposer of the ball - comfortable link in the chain, but rare to see him creating something through run, vision or kick.

At AFL level, he will be slower than most/all of his opponents, and doesn't appear great in body-work under the high ball.

We don't really have a need for a slowish, tallish intercept CHB/3rd tall whilst we have Sicily and Scrimshaw (and Barass and Battle!), and I feel like Sam prefers his FB to have the physical abilities to cover all types of forwards - so I'm not surprised.

He could do very well at a team like North, playing as the support tall (like McGovern/Weitering, backing their better judgement to leave the 2nd/3rd tall and help the FB). Just not with Hawthorn.
So probably AFL level but not really the type of player the Hawks currently need given we will be getting Battle and Barrass.

Players that can intercept mark are a pretty valuable commodity, hopefully he gets a other crack as a club like North.

Reckon Bruest will finish up. His language around next season has changed. From AFL website when asked about 2025.

“We’ll see how this finals campaign goes. But I’m excited to be part of this group — it’s been building for a few years now and I still think I can play a really good role for this side – whether that’s on or off field,” he said.

“I’ve had a few hiccups this year with my body. If I do go on, I’m certainly keen to rectify that. I feel like if I can get my body right again I can play some good footy.”
This week gets him to 299 games.
If he gets to 300 this year he will hang them up.
Not so sure he will want to end on 299.

He should not be going anywhere

He should not be going anywhere
He isn’t he will stay at Box Hill just not as a hawks listed player. He was only brought in because blanck went down and since then we have Frost and Scrimshaw in career form, Barrass and Battle coming in and Blanck hopefully on the mend as depth for 2025. Where exactly does he fit? Shouldn’t we look to have someone fill more of a position of need with that list spot?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back