List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Gunston and Breust have both recently signed 1 year deals so they are going nowhere.
Their combined forward craft IQ is worth the extra year without doubt. Both will feature heavily, as they have said themselves, in the development of our young forward line. Dear, Watson, Ginnivan, Scaife, Bennett's, Ramsden, and Butler will relish the lessons and the team their growth into their respective roles. Even some of the older heads like Moore, MacDonald and Chol will benefit.

Not convinced by this. He is probably playing a final in 4 days' time. If we win he might be playing more.
true and fair points, I just think after our season is done (whenever that is) his manager will have the sit down with the hard numbers. It'll be hard for harry to refuse I reckon.

North dont have much draft capital to use so will be chasing FA's - plus their list situation is dire and they need to bring in some experience.

He's a deadset walk up start in their best 22 (plus we know Clarko loves him) and probably a consistent top 10 BnF performer there too. Vs playing essentially half of the games he's available for in the last 2 years at Hawthorn.

With salary cap increases, and clubs scrambling to retain / add players prior to Tassie entering the comp, a player like Morrison could attract an absurdly lucrative contract from North. 4 x 750k or something similar. They will need to reach the minimum salary cap payments. He wouldn't be getting anywhere near that with us.

The total player payments will jump from $15,022,778 in 2023 to $15,788,222 this year, before rising to $17.76m in 2025, $18.29m in 2026 and $18.44m in 2027.

I think everyone has a similar top 4 to 6 players who may not be at Hawks next year.

I also see a lot of people saying Serong should look for opportunities elsewhere as he is too good for VFL.

Serong is only 21 and has several players ahead of him that are heading towards 30 yrs old +. Just perhaps he is OK to stay and fight for his spot and may even overtake some ahead of him next year. I hope he does and still believe he could be a 10 yr player for us.

We have given him 3 years of excellent development so would be silly to throw that away now. He is contracted, so we do have the leverage to convince him to stay. If he was a first-round pick, we'd be excited by what he is showing.

What about Bennetts don't you think is good enough?

For his height, what's his weapon, and position on field? We have too many small forwards in the 22 as it is.

He doesn't have elite physical attributes, not speed, not great endurance. His kicking is neat, but not a weapon - closer to Ward than D'Ambrossio. He's small.

As a Cat B/Rookie that's ok, but with our shortage of list spots I couldn't see us upgrading him this year.

However, I also read we can have two Cat B's, so he can stay outside the list. If that's true, then happy for him to stay.

I think everyone has a similar top 4 to 6 players who may not be at Hawks next year.

I also see a lot of people saying Serong should look for opportunities elsewhere as he is too good for VFL.

Serong is only 21 and has several players ahead of him that are heading towards 30 yrs old +. Just perhaps he is OK to stay and fight for his spot and may even overtake some ahead of him next year. I hope he does and still believe he could be a 10 yr player for us.

We have given him 3 years of excellent development so would be silly to throw that away now. He is contracted, so we do have the leverage to convince him to stay. If he was a first-round pick, we'd be excited by what he is showing.
I don't think anyone wants Serong to go. More a fear he will want out.

JZedd Any reason for the disagreement
I think if you're gonna blame DGB's issues on lack of commitment and application, you should back it up.

From everything I know about the guy, he's thrown everything into this and is passionately dedicated to his footy and the club, but has had some fairly significant physical setbacks including injury. Maybe some are insurmountable, but I'm not sure how you connect that with commitment.

I think if you're gonna blame DGB's issues on lack of commitment and application, you should back it up.

From everything I know about the guy, he's thrown everything into this and is passionately dedicated to his footy and the club, but has had some fairly significant physical setbacks including injury. Maybe some are insurmountable, but I'm not sure how you connect that with commitment.
Fair point Mercy, was purely an observation based on current output and improvement over the last 4 years

Whilst this season has clearly been hampered by an injury I was not aware of

His development has been disappointing, I was a huge fan of DGB, but the constant issues in game behaviourally have been a point of frustration

But again, your point is more than valid and I take that onboard

For his height, what's his weapon, and position on field? We have too many small forwards in the 22 as it is.

He doesn't have elite physical attributes, not speed, not great endurance. His kicking is neat, but not a weapon - closer to Ward than D'Ambrossio. He's small.

As a Cat B/Rookie that's ok, but with our shortage of list spots I couldn't see us upgrading him this year.

However, I also read we can have two Cat B's, so he can stay outside the list. If that's true, then happy for him to stay.

I see a bit more in him. His stats at VFL level surpass Breust in his first two years. If we can give him more time he could make a good high half forward or maybe wing. He is well liked at the club. His main concern is that the position he is vying for is well stocked and, just IMHO, one of the easier positions to fill.

With salary cap increases, and clubs scrambling to retain / add players prior to Tassie entering the comp, a player like Morrison could attract an absurdly lucrative contract from North. 4 x 750k or something similar. They will need to reach the minimum salary cap payments. He wouldn't be getting anywhere near that with us.
I see your point, if he gets an offer well overs it would be attractive. When we lost Suckers to a similar situation I thought he really only had one choice as he hadn't set himself up post football at that time. I think Harry is different and would be more willing to stay, but within reason. 750k is close to double what he's getting now, you'd think.

It's just a 'shame' that we are getting Battle as a UFA so no chance of any compo if Morrison moves on.
So you’d prefer we trade for Battle , which would be a 1st Rnd pick & get compo for Harry, most likely a 3rd Rnd pick.

Good list management

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tucker couldn’t get a game for box hill on the weekend, he’s gone.
How can he when you have Reeves & Ramma playing?

Ramma IMO plays better when he also rucks but Reeves took most of the contests & Ramma was largely unsighted.

You can see Reeves is trying to be more than just a tap ruckman to adapt to new rules. Have seen some +ve signs from Tucker over last few months & think he deserves another yr or 2.

Bennetts I would keep as well and same for BMac.

Chad - retired

Delists -
Stephens,
Sullivan,
DGB( may be rookied)

Trade -
Reeves
Morrison(hopefully to Saints else will go free as UFA)
Frost ( stays only if extend him to 2026 with triggers, he will be getting better offers)
Serong ( same as Frost, we have to extn him or his head may turn with better offers & hope Trade offer matches it)
Seamus( same as Frost & Serong but we don't have to extn him as he is DFA & if he goes at end of 2025, we may get something)

Not convinced by this. He is probably playing a final in 4 days' time. If we win he might be playing more.
If Day and CJ didn’t get injured he would not be playing this week. He does not have a contract and Ward will be preferred ahead of him if he were to stay on next season. He would get more money and length of contract (job security) at a side like the Kangaroos and play most, if not every week there.

How can he when you have Reeves & Ramma playing?

Ramma IMO plays better when he also rucks but Reeves took most of the contests & Ramma was largely unsighted.

You can see Reeves is trying to be more than just a tap ruckman to adapt to new rules. Have seen some +ve signs from Tucker over last few months & think he deserves another yr or 2.

Bennetts I would keep as well and same for BMac.

Chad - retired

Delists -
Stephens,
Sullivan,
DGB( may be rookied)

Trade -
Reeves
Morrison(hopefully to Saints else will go free as UFA)
Frost ( stays only if extend him to 2026 with triggers, he will be getting better offers)
Serong ( same as Frost, we have to extn him or his head may turn with better offers & hope Trade offer matches it)
Seamus( same as Frost & Serong but we don't have to extn him as he is DFA & if he goes at end of 2025, we may get something)
Frost resign (1 year extension) just over a month ago so he's under contract. Yes he could ask for a trade but at 30 I find it hard to believe that he would especially with he and the missus expecting a bubba you'd think the most important thing for him will to be settled.

After going from GWS where the sucked to Melbourne where they sucked even more to then Hawthorn where we're just coming out of the doldrums I couldn't see him leaving something that he's been a huge part in turning around. He'll stay and fight for his spot which mind you he falls clearly in our best squad of 26 players. As many have mentioned here already deep list win premierships.

Now that the Box Hill Season is done and we are 1 over in total on the Cat A rookie list. Of the players OOC this year now Breust and Gunston have resigned, Chad retired Stephens delist Philips delist are the 3 certainties. That allows battle and barrass to come in. Morrison will leave. Denver you expect goes somehow, JOS probably hasn’t shown enough and Bennetts stays on Cat B. That’s the 3 spots we need for the National Draft. Take 1-2 picks Anderson as NGA and commit to re-rookie someone like JOS feels like where it lands. For the first time I’m keen for sleepy Mark to enjoy his slumber. He’s earned it last few years and now we need stability and tinkering we already have our 2 main targets that’s fantastic.

Now that the Box Hill Season is done and we are 1 over in total on the Cat A rookie list. Of the players OOC this year now Breust and Gunston have resigned, Chad retired Stephens delist Philips delist are the 3 certainties. That allows battle and barrass to come in. Morrison will leave. Denver you expect goes somehow, JOS probably hasn’t shown enough and Bennetts stays on Cat B. That’s the 3 spots we need for the National Draft. Take 1-2 picks Anderson as NGA and commit to re-rookie someone like JOS feels like where it lands. For the first time I’m keen for sleepy Mark to enjoy his slumber. He’s earned it last few years and now we need stability and tinkering we already have our 2 main targets that’s fantastic.
Are we nit two over on the main list (Phillips and Scaife)? Add Battle and Barrass as a minimum we need to delist seven.

Some tougher calls this year. A few guys are contracted (eg BMac to 2026) who otherwise would be at risk and were already over on list spots due to Phillips and scaife before needing space to add battle and barrass.

It’s apparently a deep draft so we’ll also want to take some picks to draft.

Wouldn’t be surprised if a few guys eg Morrison, serong leave for more opportunity.

Chad - retired
Tucker - delisted (rookie)
Stephens - delisted (rookie)
Phillips - delisted (rookie)
JOS - delisted
Morrison - UFA

Battle - UFA
Barrass - trade

That means a net change in our primary list spots of -1, but we need to get to -3, is that correct?

DBG may be delisted and re-rookied, that takes us to -2.

Clubs will come for Serong, Hustwaite, Ward, Reeves. One of them may go.

Delist/retired
Wingard
Breust - delisted and rookied
Stephens(rookie)
Philips(rookie)
Tucker(rookie)

Trade/FA ?

Morrison
DBG
Serong
Butler
O'Sullivan

If those delist/retired changes happens that's 2 off the main list and 2 off the rookie list. How many more changes to the main list would we need?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back