Autopsy Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Hartung was good. Make some bad tired mistakes late but he was otherwise among our better players tonight. There are others who should be in the firing line tonight

Yep we played like crap tonight and made a shit side and players look like superstars. Hodge brilliant Captain and player but turn-overs and any speed is all but gone.

Sicily abusing Mitchell was disgraceful and a couple of second efforts equally so. Has talent but seems like real dickhead to be honest. However, I thought he was treated very unfairly by the umpires in most decisions.

Having said that I thought the umpiring was the most biased and mind-boggling I have seen in 40 or so years.

Had it been non-biased and fair then Hawthorn would have won by 3 goals.

Easy to say, hard to prove.
From what I see the negatives outweigh the positives
Did you see how many times he was the release player from a stoppage?

Go watch the game again. He literally had a hand in almost every second forward foray from a bounce or throw in.

Might have helped if bruest just ran at the ball instead of avoiding contact, cats a spots stuff that, umps were paying mark interference all night but bruest didn't want to be apart of that.
Agree, it was bruise free footy from alot of players tonight. We are very poor in alot of areas which have been glossed over by parts of the gameplan. Tackling, defensive pressure, marks inside 50 etc. If this doesnt get addressed in the off season expect another sub standard year next year. Cant afford to cruise around the field anymore and rely on individual skill. High intensity aggressive footy is the new norm.

They actually specifically target retaliators because they think retaliation generally results in worse incidents, I've heard it said, it's the most bs line of thinking because it has led to the current state of the league where cheap shot artists are everywhere and getting away with it.
It's fine if the retaliator punches them in the head, but some of the ones they paid against him were identical to what he was copping all night.

Treat each action on it's own merits. Not judge it differently if ones an instigator and the other retaliation. Pay a free kick to the instigator, and you'll stamp that behaviour out for the rest of the night.

Lot of over reactions here imo

Bar the Richmond game we've had a real decent 6 weeks or so , but that effort has taken a heap out of the guys especially the younger group
We've paid the price for such a terrible start to the year

We look ordinary last week and gave Carlton who may be poor side but are good defensively a huge leg up with that first quarter
It just played right into there hands

Thought for the most part our forward line was dysfunctional and our decision making in general was poor, and we never looked threatening

Positives - we've got a decent bunch of games into the young guys , add in Cyril and Birchall next year and we have a decent competitive group
Good trading and we may even be better then that

Really feel we lost this at the selection table. We are already thin in the midfield, and without Shiels and playing O'Meara on his first game back, Mitchell had to shoulder even more load than he usually does. Really wanted the club to keep the option of playing O'Meara for a string of consecutive games in the VFL, but now we've disqualified him for VFL finals, and he only gets to play 1 more game for the year whereas he could have been playing up to 5 more. O'Meara probably does need some AFL games to pick up the pace of the game again (his higher handball to kicking ratio seems to be all about the pace of the game, because he didn't have that ratio in the VFL), but this was the wrong game to do it in given other results were falling our way, and it would have been great to get at least 1 finals game into the likes of Brand, Burton, Hardwick and O'Meara. On the positive side he did show some glimpses of what we have to look forward to.

Perhaps Hartung's best game, a great pity people will remember his final quarter blunder(s) and not all the good work done in the first 3. Disposal/Decision making under pressure still his achilles heel.

Burton surely wrapped up the rising star now.

Hopefully we can win for Hodgie's final game, having O'Meara sing the song after playing in a win for us would also be good to see.

The new game plan we have is only starting with 4 forwards so when we break forward we are never going to have anyone to kick to and if we do it will be a 6 on 4 or even 7 on 4. I think Clarko sees this as the next wave of AFL game style, almost similar to soccer where everyone starts behind half way and you slowly crab the ball up the field allowing the forwards to get up there.

Also this plan suits Etihad even less than other venues.

Sicily absolutely r*ped by the Umps tonight. Been a long time since I felt the Umps influenced the result. Carlton got all the 50/50 free kicks. In saying that, the Blues played well, and their 6 wins / Ladder position, doesn't reflect how competitive they've been this year. Our Backline will be back next year, so some Forward structure may return. Positive signs ahead, all is not lost!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jags 17 touches and 10 contested, would be interesting to see his game time, doubt he played more than 65% in total. Pretty happy with his performance, had no impact in the 1st, so really it's a 3qtr performance.
88,16 minutes
5 clearances
3 tackles
159 metres gained

I can't agree with this. Sicily was targeted and got no protection from the umps. I wouldn't blame him for giving the game away if he was going to be umpired like this for the rest of his career.
Hmmmmm. Maybe hes gonna go to the syds. Buddy copped that shit, but change colours and he gets the green light to dish it out.

As bad as the umps were towards him, I dont think he got anywhere near the support from teammates that he needed. Really hung out to dry I thought, but still did well given the circumstances.

Final point on the umpires and the AFL in general. After Poppy got pinged early for a good tackle players seemed to not want to bring their opposition to ground in a tackle and chose to correl more instead of attacking the man. This whole 'tackling is legal unless you tackle in a way that MAY cause harm is farcical and has really ruined the viewing experience. I don't care if a player gets concussed in a tackle if it is fair and in play. It's a contact sport and these things happen from time to time. Now we have a situation where players only half tackle and don't want to bring their opponent to the ground as they could cop a big financial sanction and a week off. It's pathetic, reactionary shit from the AFL and they need to fix it. In saying that, the AFL is run by a bunch of incompetent idiots so no doubt they'll fix it by banning tackling and making it a game of touch.

On the game, we were awful, rounds 1-4 kind of terrible. We had small bursts of actually making consecutive effective disposals but really we just looked tired, lazy and failed to do the basics. Hartung played 3 decent quarters and then crumbled in the last quarter, Henderson burnt the ball at crucial stages and seems to lack some awareness. Schoey was poor, Duryea meh, Sicily had a shocker and that doesn't help when he gives away frees for breathing in the direction of a Carlton player yet when he has his arms blatantly shopped in a marking contest its play on. Will learn from it.

O'Meara isn't quite ready, I'm still of the opinion he should have spent an extended period at VFL level just to find some continuity and ensure his match fitness was there. Played less than 3 quarters of game time tonight so clearly has a long way to go. Mitchell is a gun, has no support in the middle and thinks through most disposals whilst many others in our side burn the ball with panic kicks to nowhere.

Disappointing way to end our chances of making the 8 but probably for the best as the team has really lost the form they had since the bye in the last few weeks. Hopefully we can come out next week and get a win for Hodge in his final game.

The usually nonsense in here I see.

Panicked Lynch mob.

We played pretty shit but cmon.

That was a mugging.

The Blues were the better team tonight, they came out fighting from the start. Yeah it's crap we lost, but truth be told, we have probably played better than expected with all our injuries and youth for most of the second half of the year. It's going to be a good 2018!

While I'm gutted about finals, I see no point bitching and moaning about certain players. Fact is if we had a fully fit team there are a number of 'depth' players that wouldn't get a regular game. They are on the list to fill occasional gaps (which they usually do well). No point in trading them as they are more value to us than their trade value.

Go Hawks!

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Umpires did not cost us the game. Billy Hartung did not cost us the game. Carlton wanted it more and we let them want it more.

The Hartung hatred is amazing. Kid has played 60-odd games, what do most people expect from him? To be Dustin Martin?

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Piss off isaac smith and hendersons bomb the ball at all costs.

Piss off howe taking a mark and immediately playing on like he has express pace ... he then does 2 x 360s and chips it sideways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, Henderson and Smith are to blame for this piss poor four man forward- line structure. :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back