Game Day Hawks v Pies official practice game - Thursday March 2 @ 5:10pm - UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

I want him to get away with it but if you think tackles that end up in players making high contact with the deck don’t get scrutinised, well, you can’t have been paying attention over the last few years.

There are three scenarios on the table - doesn’t get treated as a classifiable offence, gets a fine (careless) or cops a week(intentional).

Could go any way.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It will be looked at, but no way he gets suspended for that.

I think DeGoey is in trouble.

If the same tackle was applied by Joel Selwood or Trent Cotchin they’d have won a holding the ball free kick but it wasn’t them, it was JDG.

1-2 weeks will be a big blow given our tough draw and how good he looks, especially with Lippa also now missing.

Just once I’d love to see DeGoey play a whole season. Just once! But looks like it won’t be 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

2 weeks.....🤣

Obviously not good news about Lipinski, however, we have so much depth that it gives someone like Carmichael a great opportunity. And we have seen how good this kid can be.

Yes impact was low but contact was high - esp given that tackles are assessed on the “potential contact”. If the sling is classed as intentional rather than careless, he cops a week.

If it gets treated as a classifiable offence, careless v intentional becomes the only question.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With dangerous tackles, they're also meant to factor potential into impact as well, so the impact is a question as well. I think it'll be graded as careless, but medium impact and he'll cop a week.

Not many mentions of Frampton in this thread since the game. Could it be that he’s improved slightly already?
This is my hope. That with time and better instruction he will become slightly better each week.

Some thoughts after watching replay….

Scodog10 - I’m def in the camp that Adams/Mitchell 50/50 fwd gives us a better look than gini. It’s how we will set up going into the first few rounds and I thought Adams was dangerous.

Defensively we were horrendous at stopping the easy out. All down to work rate. Not sure this is fixed by “practice match work rate”….my major issue.

Stoppage…again plenty of first hand fumbles….reduce this and our losses are mitigated.

Can’t play JDG and Naicos in middle together as both as one and done….

Apart from that; liked what I saw from a lot of it.
Score irrelevant. Umps have some work to do on basic calls. Counted 4 goals that were really at the scale of wtf?!?

Glad naicos was tagged…he needs to learn from what opp will do and our coaches need to learn about how to break it….probably the single biggest lesson (and stupidity from opp) f on tonight.

Hill was great…but I’m sure Gini will walk back i to his spot in round 3 😂😂
That’s the way I lean as well given our strength of draw for the first month. I’d rather the locked and loaded impact of Adams/ Mitchell over the enigma that is Ginnivan.

Are the nerves lifting yet for anyone else over JDG’s availability? I’m conflicted because the basic premise of the ****wits on the Fox commentary team discussing it is to set the agenda. Anyone that’s listened to Lyon and Watson in the morning will know what I mean because they talk about it like it’s this pee your pants funny standing joke. It’s what football media has descended into these days vox pop style sound bites. I’m conflicted though because you’d have to be living on the moon to not grasp how the concussion issue is ratcheting up and I’ve always been an advocate of punishing the action not the outcome.

Unfortunately I’m 50/50 on it and won’t really argue the toss if he gets a week. The catch for me is they’ll still apply the grading which I think comes back as low impact and to the body, IMO. I think that gets him off.

With dangerous tackles, they're also meant to factor potential into impact as well, so the impact is a question as well. I think it'll be graded as careless, but medium impact and he'll cop a week.

Game has gone too soft if he goes for that.

And I know he's likely getting one at least because of the framework around it being a grading system rather then judgement of a panel.

And I know he's likely getting one at least because of the framework around it being a grading system rather then judgement of a panel.
I’m not sure whether you posted that fully informed, but this is why it’s going “soft”…

The AFL is absolutely ****ing petrified of this.

How do people call Ginnivan an enigma? As if he is inconsistent for role? The guy kicked 40 goals and set up many more he was a regular to stand up. He is clutch.

Adams will still play but I don't think its at Ginnivans expense.
Me I called him an enigma quote next time…

In the space of 12 months he’s been involved in 6 agenda setting stories and only one was positive. He’s 19! That’s an enigma.

Outside of goals and drama what else does he add to this current mix? Let’s pick the discussion back up in Rd 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sure whether you posted that fully informed, but this is why it’s going “soft”…

Yeah I know she is, as I posted in an earlier post what a joke.

You enter the game knowing full well it comes with risk, rules have changed to stop deliberate head high contact.
In fact they've changed to outlaw ANY high contact through actions of a bump or tackle, whether incidental or accidental or otherwise.

Wait till knee in back of head in high marks get banned. Bye bye speccys...

There must be a point where the onus comes on the individual who engages their respective sport. Ie AFL NRL NFL etc.
That they are aware of the risks and whilst the league will do its best to reduce likelihood and also provide care for injury that if you take the field it's at your own risk.

High court needs to get involved and lock in frame work that protects our sports.

Yeah I know she is, as I posted in an earlier post what a joke.

You enter the game knowing full well it comes with risk, rules have changed to stop deliberate head high contact.
In fact they've changed to outlaw ANY high contact through actions of a bump or tackle, whether incidental or accidental or otherwise.

Wait till knee in back of head in high marks get banned. Bye bye speccys...

There must be a point where the onus comes on the individual who engages their respective sport. Ie AFL NRL NFL etc.
That they are aware of the risks and whilst the league will do its best to reduce likelihood and also provide care for injury that if you take the field it's at your own risk.

High court needs to get involved and lock in frame work that protects our sports.
👎

Sorry mate I can’t engage with thick. These are peoples lives it’s no longer a game to them.

I don't think the AFL has a choice. They've got to try to get tackles like judge out of the game.

Me I called him an enigma quote next time…

In the space of 12 months he’s been involved in 6 agenda setting stories and only one was positive. He’s 19! That’s an enigma.

Outside of goals and drama what else does he add to this current mix? Let’s pick the discussion back up in Rd 3.

You and one or two others who have similar views on him. I got no issue quoting you.

Wow he had controversy over not receiving head high contact that he should of.

He provides not only goals but creates goals, creates space, directs forward traffic constantly, footy smarts, excellent inside 50 kick, clutch moments, performs under pressure player. He is one of the best footy IQ players on our list despite being 19.
I don't think he is limited to being inside 50 player either long term.

Hill for example touched it 6 times for a goal and 5 score involvements.
That is much more inigimatic performance.

Round 3? why not round 5, 12 or end of season.

If Ginnivan doesn't cone straight back in he will be back soon enough and won't go back out.

👎

Sorry mate I can’t engage with thick. These are peoples lives it’s no longer a game to them.

Haha "with Thick"? What's thick about that?

Thick is you not understanding choice to play is involved.
Plenty of people being knocked out from juniors up where's your concern for them? Who do they sue?

Jockeys have more concussions then anyone maybe they need to ride a virtual horse?
After all it's their lives we are talking about.
Same with muay thai, mma, boxing etc are they all going to have to do body shots only?

There is no difference, contact sport comes with risk.

They enter a sport knowing that these things can happen through incidents if your susceptible.

Not everyone is.

The study also is still ongoing as to why some people get it (cte) and others do not. As in what other factors are at play.

You and one or two others who have similar views on him. I got no issue quoting you.

He provides not only goals but creates goals, creates space, directs forward traffic constantly, footy smarts, excellent inside 50 kick, clutch moments, performs under pressure player. He is one of the best footy IQ players on our list despite being 19.

If Ginnivan doesn't cone straight back in he will be back soon enough and won't go back out.
Spot on Loki, not sure where the ginni stuff is coming from but I can assure everyone that come the last game of the year for us, Ginni will be firmly entrenched in that side. He's only getting started, he has lots more ability to give including going in the midfield

I don't think the AFL has a choice. They've got to try to get tackles like judge out of the game.

Yeah there has to be an end point though, I don't get how Boxing for example is not liable but another sport which involves a ball that has done many rule changes to minimise incidents to head contact is.

A large part of the CTE lawsuits in USA is based around them doing the study knowing about it then covering it up and not informing the players. Ie they took the players choice away by not revealing the possible damage concussion can cause.

Haha "with Thick"? What's thick about that?

Thick is you not understanding choice to play is involved.
Plenty of people being knocked out from juniors up where's your concern for them? Who do they sue?

Jockeys have more concussions then anyone maybe they need to ride a virtual horse?
After all it's their lives we are talking about.
Same with muay thai, mma, boxing etc are they all going to have to do body shots only?

There is no difference, contact sport comes with risk.

They enter a sport knowing that these things can happen through incidents if your susceptible.

Not everyone is.

The study also is still ongoing as to why some people get it (cte) and others do not. As in what other factors are at play.
It’s actually remarkably simple. You said you were informed and still don’t get the seriousness of this topic. That to me says you either aren’t actually informed or you’re thick for taking this POV. Legislating actions such as JDG’s is the AFL’s way of protecting the game from individuals who make poor choices.

This might be better placed in another thread, but sideswipe what impact would there be on the league if a class action of say 500 ex players seeking $2m each in damages were successful? I assume the league would be protected from the full whack by insurance or Andrew Dillon cooking up some legal protection so this is purely out of curiosity. I mean a $1b class action against a national sports league that’s exposed to the full payout kills the sport.

enigma

ĭ-nĭg′mə

noun​

One that is puzzling, ambiguous, or inexplicable.

We are having an argument over the use of a word that doesn't even apply.

Does Ginners have the fitness base to play further up the field? Hopefully he does.

Hill is fair better suited to the McRae style. In both games thus far there have been occasions where he is involved in the whole length of the field. His defensive side of the game is also very good.

The player i am intrigued to see is Josh Richards.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

It’s actually remarkably simple. You said you were informed and still don’t get the seriousness of this topic. That to me says you either aren’t actually informed or you’re thick for taking this POV. Legislating actions such as JDG’s is the AFL’s way of protecting the game from individuals who make poor choices.

This might be better placed in another thread, but sideswipe what impact would there be on the league if a class action of say 500 ex players seeking $2m each in damages were successful? I assume the league would be protected from the full whack by insurance or Andrew Dillon cooking up some legal protection so this is purely out of curiosity. I mean a $1b class action against a national sports league that’s exposed to the full payout kills the sport.

What you don't seem to understand is the law suites in the USA have been opened up due to the studies they did and hid the findings from players taking away their informed choice to continue or not.

Seriousness of topic? I understand it I just don't agree that the AFL is as culpable as the NFL due to the above reasons.
Since CTE has been made public there is no one who continues to play or took up the game in that time who did NOT make an informed choice like that chick suing Collingwood. Pies followed their duty of care.

The afl has largely changed many rules there is no need to zone in further you can't protect against every incidental head knock. Which he didn't even get in the jordan tackle.

If you don't want to risk that you can get injured stay home and watch the game like the rest of us.

We all drive cars despite knowing the risks if you get in a car accident.
People go sky diving, bungee jumping, show rides etc.

Last edited:
enigma

ĭ-nĭg′mə

noun​

One that is puzzling, ambiguous, or inexplicable.

We are having an argument over the use of a word that doesn't even apply.

Well I took it as he was getting at him being inconsistent with high games 5 goals vs dipping off inexplicably. As if puzzled by his inconsistency.

He sounds like he's talking about Jacks media attention on read back with his reply.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Hawks v Pies official practice game - Thursday March 2 @ 5:10pm - UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back