Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A close source of mine said that Bennell is back to his old ways and hanging with the wrong crowd.
Moving interstate might help fix that. I'm more concerned about his body not being able to stand up to the rigours of playing AFL.
2 games in 4 years at Fremantle.
Can't help but think of Xavier Ellis. Skilled, smart footballer who had a horror run with soft tissue injuries.

Moving interstate might help fix that. I'm more concerned about his body not being able to stand up to the rigours of playing AFL.
Can't help but think of Xavier Ellis. Skilled, smart footballer who had a horror run with soft tissue injuries.
I would be concerned by both on field and off field behaviours as it's a reflection on both the club and the player.

Ahhh Xavier Ellis. We all know he has a ‘buffet’ of issues 🍔🍟🌭🍕🍗

Bennell...Garlett MKII
For every Garlett there is a Stack. Some players wake up, some don’t. He sounds like he really wants to give it another go. Once again I would back our medical team to get him on the park which would go along way to helping him get his act together. Awesome talent worth the risk. Silk would be an amazing role model for him.

It's not about getting his body right, it's about his attitude off the field that is letting him down and the influencers around him.
He should know what is right and wrong by now.
I don't know how many chances he can have.

What about and what will they have to pay their superstar captain and their superstar young forward.
So if you pay Cogs $1.4m, when the captain comes knocking and you pay him $1.4m and your young KPF forward superstar $1m that amounts to $3.8m between three players. There are 35 other players on your Roster
Sustainable !! ??

Foundation to success ?? !!

Good luck to them and the players receiving the superstar bucks.

Alternatively to the argument above.
I am aware we have amended our scales to pay Cogs in line with it, with some players receiving adjustments. This is to pay him about $950k.

What is the sustainable model ??

The closest thing Carlton have ever come to doing anything sustainable was make Judd a Visy ambassador.

It's the free-est of free hits, for one unbelievable talent.
Not quite free.....there is "oppurtunity cost"

We could take a young man who is 100% committed to his afl journey V a young man who had more than one chance and failed.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

And your solution is ???????

Not sure. It may just be a cycle mate. Contending teams can get stars for unders, teams closer to the bottom leverage money. Perhaps we are viewed in between, success isn't guaranteed and the finances are below elsewhere. Even Clarko and our proven past success may not be enough.

My main point is, I don't agree with a narrative Coniglio went elsewhere for money only. It doesn't lend itself to critical evaluation of where we sit as a destination. We are all to invested so you view things differently to someone that isn't might. It's why many businesses bring in external consultants. On here, it's Coniglio is dumb if he doesn't come to us.

Honestly, I'm not saying he won't land with us. Only a discussion if not.

Last edited:
I know it's a long shot now, but Bennell had top 10 player potential, so if he was able to even get back to 80% of his potential then we will have a quality player on our hands.

I doubt that there are any 20 year olds in the league capable of getting 30 and kicking 6 against a quality Geelong side, like Bennell did.
If Benell is willing to cross the whole width of the country once again it means anything is possible in terms of attitude, his body is the only question mark.

He'll cost nothing and has a very very small chance of giving us a huge spark in attack for 4-5 years.

Wingard/Bennell in the same side means a headache to rival Franklin/Rioli proportions. But this is based on a large number of ifs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Benell is willing to cross the whole width of the country once again it means anything is possible in terms of attitude, his body is the only question mark.

He'll cost nothing and has a very very small chance of giving us a huge spark in attack for 4-5 years.

Wingard/Bennell in the same side means a headache to rival Franklin/Rioli proportions. But this is based on a large number of ifs
I would think we'd ask Jaeger what he thinks/knows of Bennell.

Not sure. It may just be a cycle mate. Contending teams can get stars for unders, teams closer to the bottom leverage money. Perhaps we are viewed in between, success isn't guaranteed and the finances are below elsewhere. Even Clarko and our proven past success may not be enough.

My main point is, I don't agree with a narrative Coniglio went elsewhere for money only. It doesn't lend itself to critical evaluation of where we sit as a destination. We are all to invested so you view things differently to someone that isn't might. It's why many businesses bring in external consultants. On here, it's Coniglio is dumb if he doesn't come to us.

Honestly, I'm not saying he won't land with us. Only a discussion if not.

Thank you.

If Stephen accepts the big money, I have no problem with his decision

Any reasonable and independent assessment of the pedigree of the two organisations has one well ahead.
Substantial superior money, no matter your spin, is an alluring alternative.

Carlton don’t even have an appointed and contracted coach, let alone one that has reached iconic status.

Medical prowess, coaching prowess, mateship connection, PEDIGREE against a pot of gold.

As I said earlier, take the pot Stephen and we move on.
It will be a blow but we get on with it and I am confident which organisations plan I support.

I repeat I have not heard anything that suggests this will be his response.
I sincerely believe he stays at GWS before he takes the golden ticket.

Anyway, in the end, nothing will surprise.

Should he take the money, Some will rejoice on the notion “we are no longer a destination club”. Bunkum frankly !!! And yes I will be happy to argue same on the back of TL and then Cogs.
The football media and commentariat will rejoice and poke the bear......good luck to them.....I know which principled and well managed organisation I am happy and proud to call mine.

Thank you.

If Stephen accepts the big money, I have no problem with his decision

Any reasonable and independent assessment of the pedigree of the two organisations has one well ahead.
Substantial superior money, no matter your spin, is an alluring alternative.

Carlton don’t even have an appointed and contracted coach, let alone one that has reached iconic status.

Medical prowess, coaching prowess, mateship connection, PEDIGREE against a pot of gold.

As I said earlier, take the pot Stephen and we move on.
It will be a blow but we get on with it and I am confident which organisations plan I support.

I repeat I have not heard anything that suggests this will be his response.
I sincerely believe he stays at GWS before he takes the golden ticket.

Anyway, in the end, nothing will surprise.

Should he take the money, Some will rejoice on the notion “we are no longer a destination club”. Bunkum frankly !!! And yes I will be happy to argue same on the back of TL and then Cogs.
The football media and commentariat will rejoice and poke the bear......good luck to them.....I know which principled organisation I am happy and proud to call mine.

It's why I said a few days ago our end of season form is really important. Our last three weeks have shown we are right there with the best teams.

If we hit the line in this manner, surely Coniglio and others start to think, **** they get Mitchell back next year, they have all the things you've mentioned, I can see success is close.

Then, we might get stars turning their back on godfather offers.

It's why I said a few days ago our end of season form is really important. Our last three weeks have shown we are right there with the best teams.

If we hit the line in this manner, surely Coniglio and others start to think, fu** they get Mitchell back next year, they have all the things you've mentioned, I can see success is close.

Then, we might get stars turning there back on godfather offers.

I wish it was so simple and narrow.

Carlton are always looking for a messiah and they always try to solve every problem by throwing money at it. It won’t get them anywhere.

..and this is another reason he shouldn't go to the blues. Who wants to be a messiah??? If he comes to Hawthorn he becomes an important cog (no pun intended) in a well drilled machine where players across the club are properly taught what their roles and expectations are - Clarkson set this up and his legacy has not only got him 4 premierships but given the model for Hardwick, Beveridge and Simpson to follow - Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge have instilled that also into the eagles and Lions list. If you have half a football brain you'd want to spend some time at Hawthorn

I'd rather the club bank on an 18 year old kid who wants to work hard and has his off field life in check . Bennell will never be the player he was so saying he is an elite talent is pointless, he was but would never reach that level again.
Of course he's going to come out and say he wants another contract instead of going out there and getting a normal career.

Fremantle swept ALOT of things under the carpet when it came to bennell .

If I may be a Debbie Downer, there are plenty of reasons he may choose other clubs than us. I love the confidence in this thread, but it’s starting to sound like a bit of an echo chamber.. Carlton have money, a building list, the promise of him leading them out of the wilderness

D5OB5gEUcAAE0qD.jpg

images (1).jpeg

Just incomprehensible that these people are putting their written word in the public domain a) not knowing how to write and b) not getting someone to proofread...

Are you talking about the social media trade pages or the AFL website? It could go either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back