Prediction Hawthorn 2018 Number Allocations

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be because the club has effectively let some focus group marketing team call the shot on what isn’t “just a number on a jumper”, but a piece of Hawthorn history.

I wonder what future historians will make of it. Hawthorn didn't issue the number 5 for 18 years as a tribute to Peter Crimmins. Collingwood haven't issued the number 42 in memory of Darren Millane. Many clubs hold back famous numbers for a year or so after great players retire. Sydney haven't issued 37 since 2015. When historians look at number 1 and try to ascertain why we haven't issued the number since 2010, they will find it was because Max Bailey preferred number 39 :)

I wonder what future historians will make of it. Hawthorn didn't issue the number 5 for 18 years as a tribute to Peter Crimmins. Collingwood haven't issued the number 42 in memory of Darren Millane. Many clubs hold back famous numbers for a year or so after great players retire. Sydney haven't issued 37 since 2015. When historians look at number 1 and try to ascertain why we haven't issued the number since 2010, they will find it was because Max Bailey preferred number 39 :)
Maybe they’ll say they had got a really good deal on the material used for the numbers and they didn’t want to waste value by assigning a number that used such little of it...

I wonder what the protocol for issuing numbers is. How much influence do the players have, and who. at the club makes the final decision.

I wonder what the protocol for issuing numbers is. How much influence do the players have, and who. at the club makes the final decision.

See it is little insights like this that footballers could maybe include in their autobiographies to make them somewhat interesting.

I imagine it would depend upon the club and the circumstances. In this situation, I would think it would be a decision by the board. I know some clubs will post available numbers on the bulletin board, and players can request those numbers. Then we see situations where retiring players can actually nominate a younger player to take his number, a la Chance Bateman wanting Stephen Hill to wear #10.

Some players wouldn't care what number they get, but once they are allocated a number, it becomes part of them. I think Cyril Rioli was offered a lower number but wouldn't part with 33. When Jason Dunstall came from Coorparoo, he requested his favourite number 5, but was told the number wasn't available. He did okay in 19 :) John Platten was offered Matthews' #3, but insisted upon 44, a number he wore at Central District.

Funny thing is, I find it all very interesting but I have no idea why because I never cared what number I wore when I played :)

You know I reckon they might move Puopolo's number to the high 30's idk why I just think that it's possible.

I imagine it would depend upon the club and the circumstances. In this situation, I would think it would be a decision by the board. I know some clubs will post available numbers on the bulletin board, and players can request those numbers. Then we see situations where retiring players can actually nominate a younger player to take his number, a la Chance Bateman wanting Stephen Hill to wear #10.

Some players wouldn't care what number they get, but once they are allocated a number, it becomes part of them. I think Cyril Rioli was offered a lower number but wouldn't part with 33. When Jason Dunstall came from Coorparoo, he requested his favourite number 5, but was told the number wasn't available. He did okay in 19 :) John Platten was offered Matthews' #3, but insisted upon 44, a number he wore at Central District.

Funny thing is, I find it all very interesting but I have no idea why because I never cared what number I wore when I played :)

Not counting school footy, the first time I played in an under 18 comp, we got ouj jumpers at the game, and it was first in best dresses. However, that was a long time ago, and we even had to pay for the umpires. Times have changed!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like Hodge would nominate Morrison for 15

Not counting school footy, the first time I played in an under 18 comp, we got ouj jumpers at the game, and it was first in best dresses. However, that was a long time ago, and we even had to pay for the umpires. Times have changed!

When I first became interested in footy, it was all the rage for the captain to wear #1. It was a prestigious number. Sometimes the vice captain would be #2. Collingwood were still doing it in the late 1970s, Port Adelaide (SANFL) have hung onto the tradition longer than most.

Don't know why I look forward to the release of jumper numbers so much
It’s going to open up a whole lot of discussion on the topic of is the player in question going to be as good, better or worse than the last bloke to wear that number. There will be tears and screaming. So much fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Hawthorn 2018 Number Allocations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back