Autopsy Hawthorn defeats the COLA Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted before the 2012 GF we would lose. I hated the feeling and when we did it hurt even more. I wrote that we had a soft underbelly and didn't have the killer instinct.

During the game we carried so many passengers. Players injured and players not up for it like Clinton Young.

In hindsight Clarko explained it with a reality. It taught us to rest and manage our players as best as possible. Someone mentioned above the way we do this now with all sorts of methods is why we're in for a chance against all odds. What a team. What a coach. What a club.

Watched this game again on the weekend. Relaxed because I knew the result. Amused when I spotted that just before the last Burgoyne goal, Hill ran a least 30 metres without a bounce and got away with it.

Watched this game again on the weekend. Relaxed because I knew the result. Amused when I spotted that just before the last Burgoyne goal, Hill ran a least 30 metres without a bounce and got away with it.

metres are shorter at the SCG - I also noted we missed out on a goal just after halftime siren

Just watched the '12 GF on foxtel's '30 minute thrillers'. It's still tough to watch but I can sit and watch it, with a big cheesy smile on my face, in the light of what's happened since.
That said, I've put '14 on straight after...

I didn't notice, too busy watching Cyril kick the match winning goal outside 50.

During the game we carried so many passengers. Players injured and players not up for it like Clinton Young.
I feel for Young as he seems to have had the weight of the 2012 loss dumped on him (and he did play a part) but it was a team effort- or team lack of effort if you like.
Young was instrumental in our 2008 GF victory and could have been on his way to a norm smith if not for injury half way through.

I feel for Young as he seems to have had the weight of the 2012 loss dumped on him (and he did play a part) but it was a team effort- or team lack of effort if you like.
Young was instrumental in our 2008 GF victory and could have been on his way to a norm smith if not for injury half way through.
the issue I had (and still do) with Young was not that he shat himself in the big dance in 2012, it was that he spent the month following playing hard ball with the club over his contract after such a performance (I understand his brother's wellbeing played a part in the contract dispute) and then left without trying to make amends for the horrid performance

I think that is the main issue for a lot of fans
I think had he of addressed the fans and said "I know I had a horrid game, and if I had the chance I'd make up for it
Unfortunately, I need to secure my future, and make sure I can look after my brother
As such I have to move on to another club"

Players who don't even play a game will generally address the fans upon their departure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the issue I had (and still do) with Young was not that he shat himself in the big dance in 2012, it was that he spent the month following playing hard ball with the club over his contract after such a performance (I understand his brother's wellbeing played a part in the contract dispute) and then left without trying to make amends for the horrid performance

I think that is the main issue for a lot of fans
I think had he of addressed the fans and said "I know I had a horrid game, and if I had the chance I'd make up for it
Unfortunately, I need to secure my future, and make sure I can look after my brother
As such I have to move on to another club"

Players who don't even play a game will generally address the fans upon their departure

Why on earth should he have to do that? I can't remember a player who's done that ever (unless it's a made up quote in a media release). I have no problem with Young leaving or the way he did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back