Autopsy Round 7, 2024 : Hawks get pecked by Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

To try and simplify it you wouldn't see a Josh Ward run around in the 2s for Sydney. Most of their reserves will barely even get a look in because there a fair way off the level whereas there isn't much difference between a CMAC or a Josh Ward. Our depth isn't the issue it's the quality of the point of difference with the depth.

Agree to a point but that’s also selling our BH guys short.

Max Hall, Cal Brown, Cal Porter all having very good VFL seasons so far and are routinely better than a lot of our AFL listed guys

5 seconds into the 2nd half. Macdonald marks the ball at 60 from a quick kick out of the middle. Instead of moving it quickly into an open forward line he waits and delays until all the Sydney mids have flooded back so he chipped it sideways to the boundary side.

Many things were annoying yesterday but straight out of half time that almost annoyed me the most
I was ropeable. Ramsden gave a great lead into a hole that McDonald should have chipped in to, but nope, held it and opportunity lost

Not sure… but they should..when it come to concussion.

Your thought on concussion Tommyk27 ?
Concussion is an OH&S issue, and should have been addresses. The constant changing of things including holding the ball interpretation, deliberate, 6-6-6, etc. just creates new problems.

Agree to a point but that’s also selling our BH guys short.

Max Hall, Cal Brown, Cal Porter all having very good VFL seasons so far and are routinely better than a lot of our AFL listed guys
Not selling them short at all. There isn't much difference in quality between seniors and BH but because it's a lower level we stand out as a good team. It will benefit us in the long run having good depth like this. These guys will fit in seamlessly when we eventually are up and about.

Concussion is an OH&S issue, and should have been addresses. The constant changing of things including holding the ball interpretation, deliberate, 6-6-6, etc. just creates new problems.
Floods and overly team defence games are shlt watch.
The 6-6-6 as a concept works. It creates real contests. It make centre breaks interesting.

The reason the rules change is because the coaches change their tactics… generally towards defence.. evolution needs to happen.

Did you see Terry Wallace instruct his team to keep control of the ball no matter what. That was the worse football I have ever seen. And I never want to see it again.

Last edited:
Floods and overly team defence games are shlt watch.
The 6-6-6 as a concept works. It creates real contests. It make centre breaks interesting.

The reason the rules change is because the coaches change their tactics… generally towards defence.. evolution needs to happen.

Did you see Terry Wallace instruct his team to keep control of the ball no matter what. That was the worse football I have ever seen. And I never want to see it again.

That doesn’t answer my question though: do other professional sports change at the same rate? Not from my experience with NBA, Golf, Tennis, etc.

Agree, and it’s not just our games it’s across the board. I’m even getting frustrated watching in games where hawthorn aren’t even playing.
There was a time where I understood every decision being made, now I generally have no clue for a majority of them.

And the lack of consistency within a match does my head in, again years ago you'd get a decision early and say "really? you're paying that!" but then it would be paid for the match to both teams.

There was a time where I understood every decision being made, now I generally have no clue for a majority of them.

And the lack of consistency within a match does my head in, again years ago you'd get a decision early and say "really? you're paying that!" but then it would be paid for the match to both teams.
I believe having 4 umpires is half the problem, too many interpretations. They should go back to 3, with each controlling their 3rd of the ground for the whole duration of the game. Then if they are giving iffy free kicks, hopefully it is consistent throughout the game and both teams receive them.

I believe having 4 umpires is half the problem, too many interpretations. They should go back to 3, with each controlling their 3rd of the ground for the whole duration of the game. Then if they are giving iffy free kicks, hopefully it is consistent throughout the game and both teams receive them.
It does my head in when an umpire is standing there but the umpire 50m away plucks one out.

That doesn’t answer my question though: do other professional sports change at the same rate? Not from my experience with NBA, Golf, Tennis, etc.

The worst part about AFL rules changes, is that they are often so crap and poorly thought out, that the unintended consequences are worse than the problem they originally addressed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NFL rule book is so large no one actually knows every rule, but they review and make changes every year anyway. I think it's only so the referees actually have to look at it between seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back