Toast Hawthorn have headf***ed everyone

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the weekend its seemed like every one is against.
Facebook post with no relevance to Hawthorn - 'Free kick Hawthorn', Someone in in MRP trouble? - 'Good bloke Hodgey would have got off', any reference to alcohol - 'Good bloke Hodgey', Mitchelle gives a handball - 'he's such a campaigner', Cyril has a touch 'Overrated', People claiming we've only won our last 3 because of umpires and should be 1-4, people saying we haven't deserved our last 3 Flags, and thats just a start.
It may seem like everyone against us but there is 70,000+ of us, 70,000+ enjoying success and 70,000 watching the football melt around us
Everyone wants us to fail, so what do we do? We succeed.

I didn't want to write off the seemingly insane ramblings of the masses as delusional, or a case of sour grapes or tall poppy syndrome. I wanted to understand their perspective - what must it be like being a non-Hawthorn supporter after watching a Hawthorn three-peat?

Perhaps he is middle aged like me. Perhaps he watched Hawthorn's dominance in the 80s. The mullets and flamboyant characters. The striking bright brown and gold standing out from the crowd of dull jumpers. His parents only knew Hawthorn dominance in the 70s, the clear and indisputable greatest of all time Leigh Matthews. Perhaps he wondered what it was like to be born into a Hawthorn-supporting family. But he had his own allegiance, and something about Hawthorn was a little too shiny and clean, a little too middle-class. Even back then he started looking for cracks in the image - Dermie, Dipper and Lethal were thugs. But gee - what about that new bloke Dunstall? He's Mr Wonderful - well - all he does is take chest marks, it's boring to watch. Bit by bit he convinced himself that Hawthorn should be hated. Because they had to be - you can't admire a team that makes yours look second rate year after year, decade after decade. Even Carlton fans at the time, almost keeping up with our extraordinary run of flags couldn't help but realise their historic dominance was slowly being superseded.

Fast forward 25 years. Hawthorn's Bradman-like supremacy is now heading towards a 50 year stretch. There was some relief during the second half of the 90s - but even thinking about the failed merger can't make him feel better, because damn it, their supporters voted against it and the club turned it around yet again. 2008 was a bearable as a one-off, but 2013? In 2014 he couldn't help but be swayed by the media to jump on Sydney. Sure, they have COLA, sure it would be grossly unfair to see them beat a Victorian team with no special advantages. But supporting Hawthorn now after all this time? Then comes the threepeat. By now he's starting to clutch at straws. They play their home games at the MCG which is where the Grand Final is. They played three low quality interstate teams. Somehow the diluted draft kept them on top.

2016 ticks around and Hawthorn go 1-4. Three games in a row won by three points. At this stage he's thinking perhaps Hawthorn are like Geelong of 2014. He looks at the Hawthorn BF board and sees their supporters complaining every time they have a close win - at first this encourages him - maybe they are just luckily scraping through. But there is a gnawing feeling at the back of his mind - perhaps they have room for improvement? Perhaps they are just falling over the line and banking 4 points only to finish top-4 and hit their strides in September - yet again?

At this point he loses it altogether. Random accusations start flying around about umpire bias. Gritty come-from-behind wins are seen as not admirable, but in a twisted warped perspective as persecution of his team and himself. He starts thinking about conspiracies. He lashes out at champions like Hodge, sarcastically calling him a "good bloke" after a drink-driving indiscretion. But behind it all he can't escape the terrible reality - perhaps Hodgey really is a good bloke? Maybe they're all good blokes? Maybe the club is the most humble, likeable, spirited, fighting sporting organization in the country, and he should simply admire them for what they've achieved?

It is at this point I realize how pathetic and small minded these fools are. I have no sympathy for them. I have even less sympathy for the media, who are supposedly in the academic elite. They are self-deluded hypocrites devoid of integrity. And then I think about how much I enjoy watching them suffer, and how much I want to win another one, and how much I want them to angrily curse us for being "arrogant", when in reality we are simply proud that we stuck it up those who wallow in a self-pity morphed into senseless hatred of the those who are successful.
This is an all time Top 10 post right here...

It's in the pantheon

Last edited:

Today my nephew came to my daughters birthday party in a Hawks Tshirt.

He chose it. Mum... My sister... Footy agnostic bought it for him.

Dad's a bulldog man. Dad not gonna be happy.

If his Dad was a supporter of any other club I'd laugh, but somehow snatching a potential bulldog fan is a bit like winning a game with a goal from a suspect free kick in the last minute of a game.

It's no coincidence that the most vocal anti-Hawks supporters are either Geelong, Sydney, Freo, Adelaide, Port or Eagles fans. The six teams we have caused the most grief to in the last few years!

All the other teams fans stay fairly quiet (for the most part).

Throw the Kangas in there..... irrelevant to us for the most part but they have a deep hatred

If we received no frees at all, and the opposition received 30 frees, and we won by 10 goals, the dickheads would still say the umpires looked after us.:rolleyes:
Of course they would, because "it's not just the ones they did call, but the ones they didn't..."

Top shelf thread.

The trick to finding opposition posts about the Hawks that are positive is to look in threads that aren't about us in opposition team boards.

For example, in threads about their coaches there will always be posts about Clarkson or what we do well that they don't.
In threads about their captain they will always compare him to Luke Hodge.
Any medium forward they have they are hoping becomes a "Gunston-type'"
Etc etc etc

So any positive stuff, albeit scarce, is out there. Just not where you'd expect.

Just about the only threads I won't read on the AFL board are Hawthorn related ones, because too many posts are frustratingly inaccurate. This place can get quite negative too at times but it comes from passion so it's different.

We are hated and feared. It's good to be hated, wouldn't have it any other way. Success breeds enemies and I love how our success eats away at everyone else.

Long may our football club continue to **** with the heads of opposition nuffies. :thumbsu:

I-am-ow-going-to-rustle-your-jimmies-with-subliminal-images-random-30821526-482-329-20120923-141807.jpg

Top shelf thread.

The trick to finding opposition posts about the Hawks that are positive is to look in threads that aren't about us in opposition team boards.

For example, in threads about their coaches there will always be posts about Clarkson or what we do well that they don't.
In threads about their captain they will always compare him to Luke Hodge.
Any medium forward they have they are hoping becomes a "Gunston-type'"
Etc etc etc

So any positive stuff, albeit scarce, is out there. Just not where you'd expect.

Just about the only threads I won't read on the AFL board are Hawthorn related ones, because too many posts are frustratingly inaccurate. This place can get quite negative too at times but it comes from passion so it's different.

We are hated and feared. It's good to be hated, wouldn't have it any other way. Success breeds enemies and I love how our success eats away at everyone else.

Long may our football club continue to **** with the heads of opposition nuffies. :thumbsu:
I don't think Big footy is an accurate representation of reality anyway. I work with hundreds of people and most of them, footy folk, recognise how good the Hawks are. On many occasions I've had people tell me GOAT. At the very least, acknowledge they are witnessing greatness. There might be one or two bananas who have mentioned bad umpiring but in a light hearted way.

In reality, 90% sensible and can see the truth when they see it. On Big footy that probably drops to like 50% sensible posters who say it how it is. Like many I've read all the negative shit on here, but there are many supporters (yes, even from Geelong) who accept we are truly great. All this umpiring rubbish are excuses and deep down they know it.

I have never watched a Hawks game and walked away saying we won that or lost that because of umpiring. If we had poor decisions go against us and lost the game, we also played badly. That's how I remember it.

No excuses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

aren't we all being a bit sensitive? i personally couldn't give two f**cks what opposition supporters on BigFooty or SEN callback listeners are saying. It's utter drivel, so just don't bite. Next week they'll be whingeing about something else so it's not worth the energy.

aren't we all being a bit sensitive? i personally couldn't give two f**cks what opposition supporters on BigFooty or SEN callback listeners are saying. It's utter drivel, so just don't bite. Next week they'll be whingeing about something else so it's not worth the energy.
Don't think anyone is being sensitive on here, most of the posts in this thread is people enjoying watching the salt of opposition supporters as they desperately search for a reason for our success without being forced to admit we are just a very good team. It's hilarious and pathetic at the same time and a joy to watch.

Don't think anyone is being sensitive on here, most of the posts in this thread is people enjoying watching the salt of opposition supporters as they desperately search for a reason for our success without being forced to admit we are just a very good team. It's hilarious and pathetic at the same time and a joy to watch.
Indeed. If anything, we're laughing at their whining.

I can't believe how out of control it is...it's at unprecedented levels.

However it really separates the people with football knowledge from the emotional flogs.

You really need to cull the later from your football life.

If his Dad was a supporter of any other club I'd laugh, but somehow snatching a potential bulldog fan is a bit like winning a game with a goal from a suspect free kick in the last minute of a game.

I actually kind of agree! Indeed I love the way the doggies are playing this year. He did say he supports Bulldogs AND Hawthorn. He's only 4.

I think that is partly true, but it is also true that Hawks fans cannot talk footy to anyone but other hawks fans.

Every time I meet someone new as soon as they find out I follow Hawthorn you can see it takes every single bit of energy for them to not walk off sobbing. You can see people noticeably drop their shoulders.

Mate, Shaun Burgoyne would be extremely unlucky to not be in the top 10 Aboriginal players to have ever played.

From a Cat fan that isn't an idiot

Yep its fun having some back and forth with other supporters but some people really do out themselves as clowns to be ignored.

Top 10 for sure. Id need to have a think about where in the 10.

Farmer and McLeod probably top 2. Then Goodes if you ignore his final years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Hawthorn have headf***ed everyone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back