Hawthorn having the wood over Collingwood since 1982

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a few odd sort of dominances by sides over others in the time that i've followed footy. Before being broken by the 2017 QF, Geelong had an absolute massive domination of Richmond pretty much from the time Gary Sr adorned the hoops, it was a 42-8 record from 1984 till that QF.

Hawthorn won just one of their first 49 games against the Pies, but it is a little weird how this has flipped over so, although for the bulk of the era from 1982 onwards the Hawks have been more powerful than Collingwood. Less understandable is how the Lions, perennial finalists in recent years have lost their last four to the Hawks as well.

Port Adelaide have a powerful record against Essendon, but last night's loss to Geelong sees Port with a record of 13-1-27 now. Collingwood is the side Geelong has been troubled by the most since the 2007 era, with a 50/50 split pretty much, but the Dogs, Lions and Essendon all have had a 3-17 split in their previous 20 meetings (until the Lion's win 3 weeks ago) against the Cats.

Adelaide have only won 15 and had a draw against the Pies who have won 33 since their inception. And Richmond have a dominating record over the Lions too, having won 25 of their 38 clashes, but just 16 of their 38 games against Port.

And despite Sydney being generally a powerful club in the 2006-2012 era, the Pies won 11 in a row against them in that time. The Bulldogs indeed also have a unique record, they are the only club to become a Premier despite at the time having a 10 loss losing sequence against another side at the time, namely the Cats.

I think it just makes footy such a fascinating and frustrating game. I mean even as a Geelong supporter, the Cats are 0-5 in their last five meetings at K.P against the combined might of GWS and Freo!! I'd be a very wealthy man had I backed against the Cats in those games.

This dominant run the Cats had over Richmond included the only single occurrence of Geelong outscoring Richmond in a finals series in the 115? seasons both teams have been in the competition. So you did truly have the indian sign over us.

I've heard from Hawthorn people in the past that Hawthorn always "get-up" for Collingwood games, not because they are rivals (because there is no real historical rivalry between the teams) but because the historical dominance Collinwood had over Hawthorn in the early years was unprecedented in VFL football. This dominance was used as a motivating factor. There wouldn't be many people at Hawthorn who would be unaware of Collingwood's dominance over them as it was ingrained in them. Consequently they have been trying to "right" an historical wrong for the last 60 years. I've heard that from a couple of different Hawthorn people.

The first 60 games between the two teams, yielded a 3-57 win-loss record in favor of the Pies.

You can understand how old-timers at the club (even if those people are now dead) would have passed on the story of that dominance to the next generation.

This dominant run the Cats had over Richmond included the only single occurrence of Geelong outscoring Richmond in a finals series in the 115? seasons both teams have been in the competition. So you did truly have the indian sign over us.

Not sure what you mean but Geelong also beat Richmond in the 1931 Grand Final.

Cheers, yes this wasn't about finals records, just runs of wins by one side over another. And how some teams can have the wood over another, yet struggle against other sides who otherwise have a bad record against them. The Lions three-peat era was notable for their difficulties in beating West Coast for example, and Sydney seemed to struggle against Adelaide in the '05-06 era, but missed out on a finals meeting in those years.

Cheers, yes this wasn't about finals records, just runs of wins by one side over another. And how some teams can have the wood over another, yet struggle against other sides who otherwise have a bad record against them. The Lions three-peat era was notable for their difficulties in beating West Coast for example, and Sydney seemed to struggle against Adelaide in the '05-06 era, but missed out on a finals meeting in those years.
Aha

I remember In the 70’s we ahead of Essendon as well in head to head.

Gonna take time to catch up to them and Geelong. We might even see Footscray overtake us :(

They did not outscore us in that finals series though, we beat them by more in an earlier final. 1995 remains the only time they have ever outscored us in a finals series in 115 years. I used that to illustrate how exceptional their dominance over us was during that period.

I'd argue this stretches further back from the 1974 Semi Final between the two clubs. It's essentially a tale of two halves.

1925-1974 = Collingwood 71-15 Hawthorn
1974-2024 = Collingwood 29-56 Hawthorn

Overall record is 100-71 in our favour.
That's games won. Try Premierships head to head 1925-2023

1925-1974 Collingwood 8 - 2 Hawthorn
1974-2023 Collingwood 3 - 11 Hawthorn

Overall that's 11 - 13 in Hawthorn's favour.

That's games won. Try Premierships head to head 1925-2023

1925-1974 Collingwood 8 - 2 Hawthorn
1974-2023 Collingwood 3 - 11 Hawthorn

Overall that's 11 - 13 in Hawthorn's favour.
We're not talking about premierships.

We're discussing the H2H record between the two clubs and why Hawthorn has "had the wood" over us for several decades.

It’s a definite “thing”. Hawthorn didn’t beat Collingwood at Vic Park until 1960. That was like Hawthorn finally coming of age. First flag followed in 1961. Even now beating Collingwood is still a “thing” even though it is not a hatred driven rivalry like it is with Essendon.

62 out of 125 grand finals have featured either Hawthorn or Collingwood, yet they've never faced each other in a grand final.
Collingwood tend to beat Hawthorn in knock out finals though eg 2011 PF.

We're not talking about premierships.

We're discussing the H2H record between the two clubs and why Hawthorn has "had the wood" over us for several decades.
I get it ..but Premierships "That's what I'm talkin' about ! "

Don't worry too much about Collingwood flags since 1925 when Hawthorn joined the VFL..... Currently Hawks have won more flags head to head compared to all other clubs in the AFL/VFL .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get it ..but Premierships "That's what I'm talkin' about ! "

Don't worry too much about Collingwood flags since 1925 when Hawthorn joined the VFL..... Currently Hawks have won more flags head to head compared to all other clubs in the AFL/VFL .
I know.

I’m still basking in what we achieved last year to be too worried about our underperformance this year ;)

I do like to wind Pies supporters up by saying there would've been no flag for them in 1990, if they had to play the Hawks in the finals!
That's because it's true. We pumped them just before finals by more than 10 goals and Chief in the helmet kicked 11. Beat them twice that year. Couldn't beat Melbourne during the year. though and that was our downfall.

62 out of 125 grand finals have featured either Hawthorn or Collingwood, yet they've never faced each other in a grand final.
Collingwood tend to beat Hawthorn in knock out finals though eg 2011 PF.

Pies have beaten Hawks twice in finals in history, by a combined total of 5 points.

Hawks have beaten Pies 3 times in finals in history, by a combined total of 144 points, though 2 of those were Qualifying Finals, so not knock out finals.

That's because it's true. We pumped them just before finals by more than 10 goals and Chief in the helmet kicked 11. Beat them twice that year. Couldn't beat Melbourne during the year. though and that was our downfall.
Probably could say the same against Richmond in 1974 and 1982.

You had the wood against us, if you could have got past North in 74 and Carlton in 82.

1990 Collingwood were starting to track as the best team from mid season catching up to the Bombers. Hawks had injuries taking a year off from almost 10 years of dominance. Pies played hawks and I think got smashed by 80 pts.

2010 hawks beat the pies I think our last loss of season.

2011 pies almost lost prelim to hawks in a year they dominated everyone bar cats.

No matter how well we are going Hawks have a chance against us.

Last game that 99% finished our season and arguably the most embarrassing performance under McCrae. Not a knock on the Hawks they were great as much as we were poor.

I do remember pies in 1985 kicking only 8 goals and knocking off the Hawks in their peak and James Manson kicking 5 straight. It is memorable because of the wood the hawks seem to have on pies in my lifetime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn having the wood over Collingwood since 1982

Remove this Banner Ad

Back