Scandal Hawthorn player questioned over sexual offence allegation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The press were making it up and got lucky that it turned out to be true? While Hawthorn told the truth but were unlucky that it turned out to be false? OK...

I will explain it for you. The press got wind that there was a police investigation involving two Hawthorn players, they ran with a report saying this without knowing the full story at the time. Hawthorn were told that there was a police investigation into one player and another player was assisting with the investigation and issued a statement accordingly. Does that help?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-18/second-hawk-under-police-investigation
However, on Sunday in a brief statement the Hawks said Victoria Police had made the club aware that the second player was also under investigation.

I find it unusual that the Police are communicating with the employer of individuals under investigation for sexual assault.
Unless the employer can provide information relevant to the investigation then the police should have no contact with them.

IMO they certainly should not be providing information to the club relating to the investigation or the players allegedly involved.
Any protocol that potentially breaches confidentiality (with relation to the players under investigation) is surely inappropriate.
If the players wish to advise the club so be be it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-18/second-hawk-under-police-investigation

I find it unusual that the Police are communicating with the employer of individuals under investigation for sexual assault.
Unless the employer can provide information relevant to the investigation then the police should have no contact with them.

IMO they certainly should not be providing information to the club relating to the investigation or the players allegedly involved.
Any protocol that potentially breaches confidentiality (with relation to the players under investigation) is surely inappropriate.
I would hope what has happened is the players involved have notified the club and the police have then giving an update to the club as a way of helping everyone manage the public fallout (which is almost inevitable). Without interfering in the investigation I think it's in everyone's benefit including the alleged victim to have a plan in place that minimises the publicity.

It would be silly if Hawthorn inadvertently traded one of the alleged perpetrators or featured them in a marketing campaign etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would hope what has happened is the players involved have notified the club and the police have then giving an update to the club as a way of helping everyone manage the public fallout (which is almost inevitable). Without interfering in the investigation I think it's in everyone's benefit including the alleged victim to have a plan in place that minimises the publicity.

It would be silly if Hawthorn inadvertently traded one of the alleged perpetrators or featured them in a marketing campaign etc.

If the perpetrator(s) is found guilty, why is there a need for minimising publicity? There is too much gagging of media for football matters already.

If the perpetrator(s) is found guilty, why is there a need for minimising publicity? There is too much gagging of media for football matters already.
Clearly they were talking about minimising the publicity during the investigation.

Players deserve privacy
But for hawk supporters to take high moral ground given their attacks on st kilda is a joke

Wow I don't remember doing that, but if you say so...

One for all and all for one. We probably all vote for the same political party too?

I am having fish curry for dinner btw, I assume all other Hawks supporters are too.

I'm out of my depth on legal issues but does making the players names public before (and if) they are charged in any compromise a trial? I always thought it was strange with the Bill Cosby stuff that women were coming out left, right and centre to accuse him before he was actually charged. I would think a savvy lawyer would use the adverse publicity to point out that it was nigh on impossible to get a fair trial with a trial basically being conducted by the media.

So it's not only for defamation why the player's identities should be kept confidential but to ensure that a fair trial can be conducted. Or am I way off the mark here?

Majak was named before he was charged..........which is the point of my post many pages ago.

I totally agree that Majak's name should not have been mentioned (or the Collingwood guys or anyone) before a charge was laid. Too wrongs don't make a right though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back