NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed. Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Process Plan - https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...erms-of-Reference-and-Process-Plan-FINAL-.pdf

AFL Ends Investigation - 'Imperfect resolution' as Hawks probe ends, no one charged

DO NOT QUOTE THREADS FROM OTHER BOARDS

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the 2013 season … at an end-of-season player’s trip, an Indigenous player (Mr Bradley Hill) was asked by a non-Indigenous player (Mr Grant Birchall) whether Mr Hill’s partner was also a ‘boong’,” the document alleges.

“Mr Hill told Mr Rioli of this comment at the first pre-season training session around late November 2013 … Hawthorn did not take any action in response to this incident.”
My understanding is that the matter was dealt with by the leadership group at that time. Jordan Lewis spoke about it on AFL 360.

BTW - just goes to show how you shouldn't listen to rumours because I heard about 10 other players who supposedly made the comment. Birchall never came up.

My understanding is that the matter was dealt with by the leadership group at that time. Jordan Lewis spoke about it on AFL 360.

BTW - just goes to show how you shouldn't listen to rumours because I heard about 10 other players who supposedly made the comment. Birchall never came up.
sounds like Mr Hill wasnt happy with the result

Imagine if Clarkson was a spectator accused of this sort of behaviour? It seems like every time a player is racially abused by a fan the league falls over itself to sanction that person and then gives themselves a massive pat on the back for their zero tolerance and strong leadership on the issue, yet one someone within the league is accused of this sort of behaviour they seem to turn a blind eye to the entire thing hoping it will magically go away.

Imagine if Clarkson was a spectator accused of this sort of behaviour? It seems like every time a player is racially abused by a fan the league falls over itself to sanction that person and then gives themselves a massive pat on the back for their zero tolerance and strong leadership on the issue, yet one someone within the league is accused of this sort of behaviour they seem to turn a blind eye to the entire thing hoping it will magically go away.

Sorry I don’t understand the link between hate speech yelled out at the footy and anything from the statement of claim.

Can you clarify what specifically you mean?

Sorry I don’t understand the link between hate speech yelled out at the footy and anything from the statement of claim.

Can you clarify what specifically you mean?
If they are so zero tolerance it just seems there's a bit of a double standard with what they expect from spectators while seemingly tolerating from employees and people within the tent.

The distinction is in those cases the spectator doesn't deny the incident occurred.

If they are so zero tolerance it just seems there's a bit of a double standard with what they expect from spectators while seemingly tolerating from employees and people within the tent.

Nah, you’re equating yelling out racist obscenities by a fan with coaches doing what they think is best for a player (rightly or wrongly).

Bizarre

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The distinction is in those cases the spectator doesn't deny the incident occurred.
Add in that the AFL had two expert investigations into the allegations and found that the claims cannot be substantiated.

The crux of the court case will be if the allegations can be substantiated.

The statement of claim is only one side of the story and has been worked on for months by a high powered legal team - it’s not a statement of fact, it’s a statement of claim.

One of Justin Westhoff’s nick names was Humphrey Bear because of his reserved nature. If there was a serious racism issue going on at Hawthorn there is no way known Shaun Burgoyne would have stuck around in that environment.

There will be no winners in this process, only losers unfortunately.

One of Justin Westhoff’s nick names was Humphrey Bear because of his reserved nature. If there was a serious racism issue going on at Hawthorn there is no way known Shaun Burgoyne would have stuck around in that environment.

There will be no winners in this process, only losers unfortunately.

Absolute rubbish re Shaun. Could not be further from the truth.

t5umxK8Tca76.gif

I didn't say the response was appropriate. But it's not correct, to say nothing was done. An excellent discussion of it here.

I think Jordan genuinely believes they did the right thing by sweeping it under the rug. Eddie explains why Hill had no choice but to let it go. Birchall was a 2x premiership, AA, 200 gamer. Hill was a 2nd year player.

Serious question - I have only read over the last few pages but I thought from my reading it was an inappropriate word to use?
I don't think any Aboriginal people have ever said that to me. Maybe it is context?

I don't think any Aboriginal people have ever said that to me. Maybe it is context?
I have heard plenty of people say that word of all races including Indigenous people and it never occurred to me that it should not be used or that it was used in a racist manner.

I shall consider myself educated.

Remove this Banner Ad

NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed. Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back