NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
For those that know more than me what is Hawthorns draft history like since Clarkson took over in terms of Aboriginal players? I know they traded for a few established Aboriginal players but not sure about draft history.

Cyril Rioli, Cameron Stokes, Carl Peterson, Shaun Burgoyne (trade), Rhan Hooper (trade), Derick Wanganeen, Brad Hill, Amos Frank, Jed Anderson, Dayle Garlett, Jermaine Miller-Lewis, Keiran Lovell, Jarman Impey (trade), Chad Wingard (trade), Tyler Brockman

Let's see what happens. You know nothing about it.
What? I’m just answering what Gill said. The panel will comprise of four people. One a Kings Counsel (which you assumed would be white - you might be right, but there are indigenous KCs out there), but he also said the panel would be culturally diverse. I suspect if the panel is made up of four white fellas there’ll be plenty of uproar!

Police follow up on this?

Heuskes and Peter Burgoyne were charged with rape, but the charges were dropped by SA DPP because there was no witnesses and no reasonable prospect of conviction. O'Loughlin was said to be present during the incident, but claimed he was never interviewed by police about it.

The woman then commenced civil proceedings. Different accounts on whether the three or just Burgoyne and O'Loughlin paid $200,000 to her on the proviso they not admit any wrongdoing.

If this were a non-Victorian side, the AFL would be hanging them out to dry. When it's a Vic side though...

UIZjL6y0D9eatVR4u8EoXvbc8sc=.gif

What? I’m just answering what Gill said. The panel will comprise of four people. One a Kings Counsel (which you assumed would be white - you might be right, but there are indigenous KCs out there), but he also said the panel would be culturally diverse. I suspect if the panel is made up of four white fellas there’ll be plenty of uproar!
You have a lot of faith in McLoughlin who didn't defend Adam Goodes at all until racists like Andrew Bolt, Rita Panahy and Sky News destroyed him for months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood a couple of years ago...Hawthorn's turn now...and as Bill Goldberg said many times "Who's Next"....yes lets all believe the accuser....do people honestly think that a high profile premiership coach of an AFL club who has children of his own and has seen many of his players have kids and who supported Brett Ratten through the death of his son...WOULD TELL ONE HIS PLAYERS TO ABORT AN UNBORN CHILD?????????
Let me guess... you don't?

Utterly disgusting behaviour.

Not a lawyer but what kind of action could be taken? Has hawthorn as an employer committed any criminal offences here (allegedly) or would it be civil suits between the players affected and the club? Or the players affected and the individual employees who carried out these foul ploys?

Wonder what FairWork/ work cover would have to say about this.

Aflpa even
A combination of both. At least racial vilification, coercion, and surely it constitutes harrassment, intimidation and abuse.

Get a grip. You’re calling me a sexist racist bigot. You’re saying that I agree with those animals. You’re implying that I said there was something moral about their behaviour. You are name-calling and carrying on like a sanctimonious teenager.

You’re wilfully misrepresenting everything that I’ve said. I haven’t defended their actions. I haven’t said they were moral. I have sought to understand how something like this could have happened. I have pointed out that most people justify their own actions and believe their own behaviour is morally justified, and I have imagined a fairly plausible scenario. You say that imagined scenario makes me a sexist racist bigot.

Actually, I have drawn upon the empirical reality of the trauma and associated social problems that indigenous communities face, and acknowledged the historical basis for it. It may be psychologically more tolerable for you to imagine that the world is split into 2 camps - goodies like yourself, and evil moustache-twirling caricature villains like Clarko - but the reality is somewhat more complex. It doesn’t make me a villain and whatever names you want to call me for me to imagine a scenario where a) a young indigenous player was in a relationship that others perceived as toxic and b) that Clarko et al believed they were helping the player by coercing him into ending that relationship, including the termination of a pregnancy. That doesn’t mean that I think they were right to hold that belief or act on its basis.

If you are not able to separate that act of imagination on my part and what you think are my personal morals and beliefs and the sorts of actions that I would personally enact or endorse, then that is entirely reflective of your own juvenile and simplistic way of viewing people and the world.
What a load of crap. You don't know any of that stuff. It was all too easy for you to assume it was a toxic relationship. It is all too easy for you to rationalise and minimise the events as coming from a position of care and concern. Your token efforts to justify you aren't a bigot is exemplified by this response, which was nothing more than "I'm not racist but..."

Not once did you attempt to step into the victims shoes. Don't try and polish your turd.

How does he know anyway? Find it so odd how people come to bat for people and are sure they're not a racist. It's comical.
I am not defending anyone, but l would be surprised if the three that are named where the only ones that knew and no one else did.
Just would not make sense

You have a lot of faith in McLoughlin who didn't defend Adam Goodes at all until racists like Andrew Bolt, Rita Panahy and Sky News destroyed him for months.
I have little faith in the VFL as a whole. However, and again I repeat, I was just telling you what Gil said. Not passing judgement one way or the other.

I think this , ess saga and Adelaide camp shows players are under a lot of career and club pressure that the in a large part will do as they are told. Fear for career, not rocking boat etc.

For anyone involved in AFL system is there rules/governance around integrity or independent AFL appointed welfare or integrity officer at each club. Could have them on rotation if not. Seems needed as these aren't players misbehaving these are strategic unethical damaging direction at club level it appears.

Im in a bit of disbelief but want to understand a bit more
  • has anyone heard of clubs setting rules on where players can live or who with. I know many first year players all live together with a club mentor as well but is this a actually rule. Any players say no and that's okay.
  • do clubs generally like to sign off on players living arrangements or rules that players must be within 30 minutes of training etc
  • also the relocation assistance is that covered under tpp payments

The pregnancy and Sim confiscation I can't even comprehend.

In terms of the other points nentioned are these conversations happening with non indigenous players as routine or is this a 100% racially motivated approach.

Thanks for any insider info that might help understand how this has happened.

I’ve been a hawthorn supporter for 40 years and I am utterly appalled. It is atrocious and unforgivable. The club should be ashamed. For me this tarnishes the entire history and reputation of hfc. The club will need to act with full openness and be aware of the shame they have created on the name of the club and all involved from past, present and future. Personally I would give all the present players a free pass to leave (no draft picks or compensation)and to be able to work at an organisation where there name will not be tarnished by playing at hfc. If it sets back the club 50 years or even forces it to be folded so be it. This is where the line needs to be drawn and for the whole of the afl to reconsider its privilege, it’s misogyny and private boys club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back