News Hawthorn Racism Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Actual LOL at the idea emails of that seriousness would be responded to be a staffer and not referred to consideration by the President. Also LOL that the perfunctory 'sent from iPhone replies' weren't 100% written by him.

Right up there with Wayne's bag of crushed anti inflammatories.

Haha coaches association "flexing their muscles."

The AFL needs to expedite its external investigation into horrifying claims detailed in Hawthorn’s review of its treatment of First Nations players, the league’s coaches association has declared. Senior coaches Alastair Clarkson and Chris Fagan are at the centre of harrowing allegations in the report with the AFL Coaches’ Association on Wednesday calling on the league to get things moving, and quickly.
But after the Herald Sun on Tuesday night detailed further allegations made in the report, AFLCA boss Alistair Nicholson said the clock was ticking. “The AFL Coaches’ Association is urging the AFL to expedite the investigation into historical interactions between former Hawthorn Football Club coaches and indigenous players to ensure the coaching figures at the centre of the claims are afforded natural justice given the ongoing media coverage of the issue,” he said on Wednesday morning. “Coaches named in the Hawthorn Football Club report were not interviewed or provided with an opportunity to respond to the allegations made before it was handed to the club and the AFL “They still have not had an opportunity to respond in full to the claims made in the report, which has now been provided to two major media outlets. “The allegations are confronting and warrant proper examination. “Our thoughts are with the players and their families who have shared their stories, as well as other First Nations people who have been directly or indirectly affected by the publicity around the report. “But the seriousness of the allegations does not obviate the need for a fair hearing for the coaches, who have strenuously denied the claims made in the report.”
“The AFLCA is continuing to offer both coaches our support with a focus on their personal wellbeing,” Nicholson said.

No wonder Hawthorn like recruiting Aboriginal footballers from Port. We have done the black washing, or is it white washing, for them.

Shaun ----> Jarman ----> Chad ----> Karl

An AFL Media employee's opinion.

Veteran AFL reporter Damian Barrett does not expect the current North Melbourne and Brisbane coaches to be at the helm come Round 1 as this story continues to evolve.

“I just can’t see this being wrapped up in a timeframe that suits anyone and it does impact 2023 already, no doubt,” Barrett told AFL Trade Radio. “It’s not weeks and months. I was surprised when Gillon (McLachlan) said there was a hope to wrap it up in six to eight weeks.

“You can’t wrap it up with the magnitude of allegation made. It’s not a stretch to say these are the most serious allegations ever made about any person in the AFL system.

“Obviously, that being the case, the people that have had these claims made against them need and deserve the right to reply. The need and deserve the right to full legal and natural justice. “None of that is ever done in a quick timeframe. “What that means for season resumption, those coaches will not be there for that, that’s already a given.

“At this early stage anyway, I don’t see them being there Round 1 next year.

“I can’t see how it’s going to be finalised. These allegations cannot be delt with in a half hour court room session, and there’s going to be denials. You’ve got King’s Counsel involved at every level now. “Fagan and Clarkson have the same management group, but they’ve gone down separate legal paths.

“There’s going to be reach to other people at other footy clubs. Mark Evans was at Hawthorn at the time, he’s now CEO of Gold Coast, he too is in this story. He needs his time and due process attached to his role.

“We’ve got an AFL Commissioner in Andrew Newbold who was president of Hawthorn at the time in question who has now stood himself down. “I’m not even getting into who’s right, who’s guilty, who’s not. There’s going to be murkiness in all of that, but everyone needs to have their voices heard in this.”

Barrett expects North Melbourne and Brisbane to name interim coaches given the situation. “I feel it’s pretty soon (they’ll make those calls) and you can make those decisions on an interim capacity and you can just add that it’s pending knowing more and if Fagan and Clarkson can return,” he added.
Wow

Thought I would paste it here as Big Footy automatically enlarges it and its easier to read.

FduJFNdaIAAqMae

FduJF31agAUqGfr

The full (draft) report of the Egan review has now been loaded onto Google Drive.

I have been involved in a couple of independent reviews of Indigenous programs in the higher education sector. The core goal of the confidential consultation process is to build trust with the Indigenous participants and to convince them that their experiences and honest reflections will lead to substantial changes in attitudes and approaches that will be beneficial to them and their community in the future.

IMHO the publication of this material and the failure of the AFL and the Hawthorn Football Club to quickly act on the report recommendations is the worst possible outcome, not just for those who chose to participate in this review but for those who did not (note that 5 respondents have held off giving their full participation subject to seeing the initial response of the Hawthorn Football Club).

I also think it severely damages the chances of other clubs or the AFL itself gaining the respect and trust of Indigenous players and their families in participating in a much needed wider review of racism across the AFL.

I keep coming back to the fact that Hawthorn received this report a month ago and the AFL haas had it for more than a couple of weeks before the ABC Report. Surely what this report contained signalled to McLachlan the need to sit down with Hawthorn and tackle this matter as a matter of urgency? The fact that he did not tells me that he is not the strategic mastermind that everyone thinks he is.

Last edited:
The full (draft) report of the Egan review has now been loaded onto Google Drive.

I have been involved in a couple of independent reviews of Indigenous programs in the higher education sector. The core goal of the confidential consultation process is to build trust with the Indigenous participants and to convince them that their experiences and honest reflections will lead to substantial changes in attitudes and approaches that will be beneficial to them and their community in the future.

IMHO the publication of this material and the failure of the AFL and the Hawthorn Football Club to quickly act on the report recommendations is the worst possible outcome, not just for those who chose to participate in this review but for those who did not (note that 5 respondents have held off giving their full participation subject to seeing the initial response of the Hawthorn Football Club).

I also think it severely damages the chances of other clubs or the AFL itself gaining the respect and trust of Indigenous players and their families in participating in a much needed wider review of racism across the AFL.

I keep coming back to the fact that Hawthorn received this report a month ago and the AFL haas had it for more than a couple of weeks before the ABC Report. Surely what this report contained signalled to McLachlan the need to sit down with Hawthorn and tackle this matter as a matter of urgency? The fact that he did not tells me that he is not the strategic mastermind that everyone thinks he is.

He was almost out the door...... guess he was hoping it would not appear until he was holidaying...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was almost out the door...... guess he was hoping it would not appear until he was holidaying...

Word has it he is/was a certainty for being the CEO of the Brisbane 2032 Olympics Office from next year. Huge salary, huge budget, pressing the flesh, global recognition, playing politics .... A perfect fit.

That surely is in doubt now.

As the Employer aren’t Hawthorn in the gun - you’d think.
Yeah. Yes, Clarkson, Fagan and Burt are the three big names in this, but they weren't subcontractors called in to do a job, they were Hawks employees. Just because they commissioned the review doesn't mean Hawks should get to go 'They were bad. Everyone bad is gone. Therefore we are good'. The Hawks should be paying reparations, be docked draft picks and cop a large fine. That the club barely gets any grief, as if it was some cafe these 3 evil villains happened to decide to do their plotting at, is so A(V)FL boys club.

Yeah. Yes, Clarkson, Fagan and Burt are the three big names in this, but they weren't subcontractors called in to do a job, they were Hawks employees. Just because they commissioned the review doesn't mean Hawks should get to go 'They were bad. Everyone bad is gone. Therefore we are good'. The Hawks should be paying reparations, be docked draft picks and cop a large fine. That the club barely gets any grief, as if it was some cafe these 3 evil villains happened to decide to do their plotting at, is so A(V)FL boys club.
Yep.

And take a look at these recommendations from the Egan Report I posted earlier. That the Hawthorn Football Club and the AFL did nothing to act on these recommendations until now tells you something doesn't it?

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 5.35.58 pm.png Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 5.36.30 pm.png

WTF was McLachlan doing sitting on these recommendations and doing F-All?

Yep.

And take a look at these recommendations from the Egan Report I posted earlier. That the Hawthorn Football Club and the AFL did nothing to act on these recommendations until now tells you something doesn't it?

View attachment 1520635View attachment 1520636

WTF was McLachlan doing sitting on these recommendations and doing F-All?

Probably in the hands of lawyers?

Seems obvious I guess but who knows.

Was the AFL ever going to release the doc? Or did the ABC force their hand?
Given that the Hawthorn report appears to have been leaked (by who, from the AFL or Hawthorn?), I don't think so. Cerainly not before the finals. The ABC report precipitated the AFL and Hawthorn to acknowledge the existence of their report. They, the AFL who had done nothing, mouthed meaningless platitudes and announced an Inquiry. Still waiting. Justice delayed is, indeed, justice denied. Meanwhile let the acolytes of the white boys' club vent their spleen at the injustice of it all!

Word has it he is/was a certainty for being the CEO of the Brisbane 2032 Olympics Office from next year. Huge salary, huge budget, pressing the flesh, global recognition, playing politics .... A perfect fit.

That surely is in doubt now.
That was just media speculation because of the 2020 Gabba GF and AFL moving to Qld in 2020 due to covid and working closely with Palaszczuk.

Palaszczuk made it pretty clear a Queenslander would be favoured to get the job earlier this year when she appointed the Queensland government nominees to the Brisbane Organising Committe (BOCOG) and then a few weeks later the 5 independent directors.

BOCOG at the moment has about 22 people on its board, about 8 from AOC/IOC/Paras/athletes + 4 appointed by the feds + 4 by Qld + 5 independent directors + Brisbane Lord Mayor. The president is ex Queenslander and ex CEO and chairman of Dow Chemicals in USA and then after merger with Dupont became CEO and Chairman of that new merged group. He is on other boards in USA inc Blackrock. He lives in the US.

If politics doesn't get in the way, Queenslander and ex Olympic dual silver medal 100m swimmer Mark Stockwell will probably get the gig, but odds are against him lasting 10 years. He was chairman of Gold Coast Comm Games, is wealthy and runs a development business, is well connected in Olympics movement, is deputy chair of the Australian Sports Commission and when John Coates stepped down as AOC prez after 32 years, in April, Stockwell ran against Ian Chesterman and lost.

SOCOG had 3 CEO's in 7 years, inc SA's ex GP boss Mal Hemmerling who was a Labor man, but didn't get on with the Sussex St Labor guys, so they replaced him with another Labor guy, a Canberra public servant chief and ex diplomat, but originally a Sydney boy, Sandy Holloway.

Holloway and his marketing GM ****ed up with the tickets for the rich scandal in late 1998 / early 1999, trying to earn extra revenue by selling the best seats at a huge premium, but didn't tell the board, and was sidelined. SOCOG could not be seen to sack another CEO.

But thanks to that crap, I ended up buying some great tickets to many events when those held back for the rich, were released for cost price 2 weeks before the games and I lined up from 3-4am. I basically got a seat on the finish line for the Freeman night in the level 4 seats.

In the end Olympics Minister Michael Knight, who was president of SOCOG from when Labor won the 1995 election, took over and shared/gave real power to David Richmond CEO of Sydney Olympic Co-Ordination Authority, which was in charge of building Olympic infrastructure and roads and railway construction to make the Olympics crowds flow, who also was on SOCOG board. These 2 individuals and Johnny Coates got the gold award from Juan Antonio, not the CEO. He got silver along with a few others, inc Deputy CEO and COO Jim Sloman who also had more power than Holloway in the last 12-18 months before the games. Hollway just became a figurehead to wheel out to the public.

Palaszczuk is the current Olympics Minister and unlike Knight, is only vice president of BOCOG.

Gil might not be suited to sharing power, although he is skilled enough to play the politics games.

Last edited:
This is getting messier

There’s genuine despair though that it’s taken over a week already, and as we sit here tonight the aggrieved families who gave evidence in the Phillip Egan review into the cultural problems at the Hawthorn football club were still not over the line as agreeing to the process.

“They all week have been saying they want an independent judicial enquiry, I think Leon Zwier their lawyer is trying to get something together with Peter Gordon, not that they’re on the same side, they’re not.

“But that’s why it’s such a mess, because these people gave their evidence, are unwilling to do so again in an environment they don’t trust.”

0 seconds of 1 minute, 32 seconds
x closex closex closex closex close
Wilson believes one of the reasons the families involved are hesitant to give evidence again and work with the AFL is due to Andrew Newbold, with the previous Hawthorn president now a commissioner of the AFL.

“One of the reasons they don’t trust the AFL is because of Andrew Newbold,” Wilson said.

“Rightly or wrongly, they say that Andrew Newbold, who read his denials today, was an AFL commissioner and the AFL have to be conflicted investigating one of their own.”

With families potentially unwilling to offer new evidence, Wilson finds it hard to see where the investigation goes next as their stories are crucial in forming any sort of thorough investigation.

They're not unwilling to provide new evidence, they're unwilling to keep retelling their story. What new evidence is there?

It has been told, there is supposed to be documentation that supports their claims.

Appoint the panel to independently review the claims and get on with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn Racism Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back