Hawthorn's lack of quality youth is concerning

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
What's going on Hawthorn fans?
Hodge, Mitchell, Lake, Burgoyne, Lewis, Gibson are about to retire. I wouldn't be surprised a few of them announce their retirement at the end of the year. Given they are all clearly still their best players, what are Hawthorn going to do here?

It's not as if they have a lot of room to bring in free agents given they have committed to Frawley (550k?) and signed up a host of others like Roughead, Gunston, Breust, Rioli etc. I think Hawthorn are going to struggle to even make the top eight next year.

Opinions?

Spot on. Tonight Burgoyne, Hodgey, Lewis and Roughead are doing their best invisible man impersonations. When the end comes for the old guys it comes bloody fast, seemingly overnight, and without any bright talents coming through we could see more priority picks heading down to Dingley in the not too distant future.

What's going on Hawthorn fans?
Hodge, Mitchell, Lake, Burgoyne, Lewis, Gibson are about to retire. I wouldn't be surprised a few of them announce their retirement at the end of the year. Given they are all clearly still their best players, what are Hawthorn going to do here?

It's not as if they have a lot of room to bring in free agents given they have committed to Frawley (550k?) and signed up a host of others like Roughead, Gunston, Breust, Rioli etc. I think Hawthorn are going to struggle to even make the top eight next year.

Opinions?
Exactly.

Every big game their best players are the oldies. They got good youngsters only when the team is firing. Take our the veterans and they are a bottom 4 side.

it's frustrating how easy of passage into the last two preliminary finals they have received too. They got to play a banged up Sydney Swans in 2013. Missing a whole core of players and then once they got that job done, they were blessed to meet Geelong who were ravaged by injuries in the preliminary final. Surprised they still struggled to win that game in all honesty.

Then last year in week 1 of finals, it was Geelong (again) who were crucified by the footy gods and had a depleted squad. They have truly had a very fortuitous run these past couple of years have the Hawthorn football club.

It's why they can never be rated alongside Brisbane or Geelong who had no advantages on route their 3 premierships.

Even tonight McGovern is playing crippled and the Brownlow medalist was a late out before the game started. When luck is such a big contributor ultimately for your success there is always that cloud that hangs over your head. Definitely a clear rung below the Brisbane team and even further behind the Geelong dynasty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL Hawf do you think you can make the 8 next year?

you gun get loved tenderly next season bitchaes!
0f4da38490a1408227fea40e146b6d85ca663f21ab6a5fe98317d6b86ab757b4.jpg

tell you what it wont be that bad you got the futures of Podgey, Mitchell and Jnr Burger to look forward to...oh wait they 40 years old
lol

Hawthorn are a team of grubs, led by grub #1 (Puopolo) and grub #2 (Langford) who lead their team of grubs wonderfully well. Never before have I seen an entire team play for free kicks and display such an arrogant and grubbly attitude as these grubs.... check out Roughead's gait.

Best of luck for the rest of the finals to the grubs and their grub supporters. :thumbsu:

Bottom 8 is looking nice for the Hawfies next year. Norf will be higher than them in 2016 and that's even without having any youf!
North consistently beating the Cats was a fairly distinct marker in their decline, and will make a great yardstick for Poorthorns slide as well.
Unless they go shit too, that could happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn's lack of quality youth is concerning

Remove this Banner Ad

Back