Traded Heath Shaw for Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs to clean up the off field considerably - there was an incident at a 21st Birthday Party in his home town that if reported will not reflect well on him at all. Next time Eddie beats his chest it's a chance to come out and there are photos and video evidence to support it.

Who are you talking about? Shaw or Adams?

One has issues with discipline on & off the field.

The other has issues with accurate kicking.

One has issues with authority on and off the field.

The other is a leader on & off the field.

Can fix up disposal. Can't fix character flaws.

Ok?

Give Adams a fair go, he hasn't been arrested since 2012 and he hasn't been suspended since he gave Cooney a cheap shot last year:p

Needs to clean up the off field considerably - there was an incident at a 21st Birthday Party in his home town that if reported will not reflect well on him at all. Next time Eddie beats his chest it's a chance to come out and there are photos and video evidence to support it.

Why What Happened?

There be a lot of Things that AFL players do that is Hidden from Public View

Give Adams a fair go, he hasn't been arrested since 2012 and he hasn't been suspended since he gave Cooney a cheap shot last year:p

Hey, We don’t Cheat the Salary Cap though

Yeah atm this isn't anywhere near as promising as I thought it would be for Collingwood. While his foot skills were never great, he used the ball smartly at GWS, put it to advantage and would kick accurately when running at goal. They have been nothing short of atrocious the times I've seen him this season.

Thought he'd slot right in and force Ball out. Obviously there is a lot more to play out over his career, but at this stage probably the most disappointing recruit of the season for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said at the time that this trade would be an enormous win for Collingwood and I stand by that comment despite Adams making a somewhat indifferent start at his new club.

Shaw is a very good footballer and has been for a number of years, but for whatever reason was no longer a fit at Collingwood. Whether you agree or disagree with that as an outsider looking inward with no real grasp of the circumstances is not particularly relevant. However, given that was their stance, it was therefore the right decision to move him on. To be able to get a young player of the calibre of Adams is a huge win in my books.

As a Giant, Adams showed he clearly has the ability to perform at AFL level and has what it takes to be a very good footballer. OK he hasn't quite managed to continue in that fashion at his new club but you'd be foolish to write him off as a result. I firmly believe he'll make those who do or already have look very foolish sooner rather than later.

Give him time and he'll show his worth. Of course there are certain areas of his game which are lacking and need to be worked on but for mine the positives he brings to the table far outweigh the negatives. Let's not also forget that Adams is 20 years old. Still very young for a footballer with plenty of time ahead of him.

I note that Adams has spent some time this year in the defensive half. Personally I don't think that role suits him at all and his performances have suffered as a result. Give him an extended run through the middle of the ground and I believe he'll add enormously to the senior side in the role which suits him best.

I actually think Collingwood traded for Adams more out of luxury than out of necessity and went a year early in bringing a ready made Luke Ball replacement to the club. Adams is ready to go now in that inside midfield role and I'm not convinced there's room for both in the same side so Adams finds himself as a backup for the time being. Good piece of business from the Pies to jump early when a favourable option presented itself and with Ball looking well and truly on the decline Adams will be able to step straight into that position when Ball steps aside which could well be as early as the end of this season.

In 31 games, he averaged more than 20 disposals in a midfield that was usually out-gunned for both size and experience.

The one thing that occasionally let Adams down, though, was his disposal.

Speaking at Dreamworld's White Water World on the Gold Coast as part of a Collingwood training camp, Adams said it was an area he'd been working hard on.

"I can find the ball all right, but sometimes I don't use it as well as I'd like," he said.

"I don't think you can ever be too good a kick. It's one of my areas of improvement and I've done a lot of work over the pre-season on that."

This Article shows that he was know that His Disposal could let him down when he was at the Giants and when we traded for him

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-27/pie-coached-by-the-best

What's the point getting the ball when you turn it over straight away ?

He barley turned it over that much VS the Dogs. It was just the late bit where he was Hesitant with ball in Hand

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Heath Shaw for Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back