Heathcote District FL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This can't be happening - an educated Broadford person other than me old mate Scotywok or the Blackbeard posting on Big Footy without bagging everyone . . . . . amazing!!!

Went to Broady and Heathcote last year and got into the half time doo with tucker and cans thanks to Dessie Gilmore any chance of getting another gig tomorrow?

Article from todays Bendigo Addy, dunno who wrote it (Luke?) but pretty important weekend for the Hawks. Let's hope teh local community gets to the meeting and some real positives come out of this as the HDFL needs the Huntly FNC :thumbsu:
----------------------------------------------------
10 August 2007
Hawks' plea for help

THE future direction of the Huntly Football-Netball Club will be discussed at a community forum this weekend.

The Hawks have struggled at senior level in the Heathcote District Football League since 2002.

Since it was beaten by 31 points by North Bendigo in the 2001 elimination final, Huntly has won just five of its past 93 games at senior level.

"At our last committee meeting we discussed where we are at as a club, particularly our senior football team, and the fact we've won five games in six years," Huntly president Allen Dillon said yesterday.

"The club has been on the back foot since 2002.

"Our 2003 season was our worst year; we were getting flogged 40 goals to two and all that sort of stuff.

"We made some inroads in 2004 and 2005; ultimately, we were only winning one game a year, but our competitiveness increased significantly.

"But from my perspective, last year was our most disappointing of all those years because we thought we had recruited well and we were paying some players some good money, but they just didn't perform for various reasons.

"That leads to this year where we weren't able to recruit players, probably because of this perception about our performance levels."

Huntly's senior team is facing the prospect of, like 2003, another winless season and a sixth consecutive wooden spoon, and it's this continued struggle that has led to this Sunday's forum, to be held at the Huntly Primary School from 3pm.

"We've got to get the community behind us and we need to explain to the community where we are at and the value we add by having football and netball," said Dillon, who has been the Hawks president since 2004.

"And the fact that through our club, we can generate new facilities for the community.

"We're looking for the people of Epsom and Huntly who have a vested interest in the future of a strong sporting club in Huntly to come along this Sunday to have a listen on where we are at, and to have input if they wish."

Among the new facilities the club will generate for the community are new social rooms.

The club has just received a $50,000 grant for the works.

Dillon believes the lack of adequate facilities is one of the contributing factors behind the club being starved of success.

"We have been in this vicious cycle where we have no facilities, which means you can't raise money, which means you can't pay players, which means you have bad performances.

"We realise we have to break out of that cycle, and part of this forum is looking at our options."

At the community forum, three options are likely to be raised for the club:

*remain in the HDFL and get some new people involved in the club;

*get some new people involved in the club, but move to another league, such as the Loddon Valley Football League; or

*fold.

"Folding is not something we are contemplating, but it's ultimately an option that will be put up if we don't get support and it's the same people who have to run the club each year," Dillon said.

"Our preferred option would be to stay where we are, but they are the sorts of things we want to throw up at the forum and let people have their say."

Any change of league would not happen until at least 2009.

Dillon believes a change to the HDFL's salary cap system could have a major bearing on the club being able to rise from its present situation.

HDFL clubs will vote at its annual general meeting later this year on the possible introduction of a points salary cap system, which was a proposal put forward by the Hawks last season.

"We believe it's crucial that a points salary cap comes in because we simply can't compete," Dillon said.

"It would give incentive to local players coming back from the Bendigo Football League or wherever, but it will also give disincentive to taking players from other clubs in the league and to paying out big money to high-profile players.

"We believe it's a good model, especially in our league because at some stage, you need to have hope you can win a premiership.

"At the moment, you can have a good team, but come June, the teams with all the money can go out and buy a couple more players, so there has to be some sort of level playing field for the lower clubs to have some hope."

Huntly coach Mark Billings will step down from the role he has held since 2005 at the end of this season.

"We've already started working on a new coach for next year, and we have four or five people who have showed an interest in that," Dillon said.

Dillon is also standing down as president at the end of this season.

"Another area for the forum is administration; we will have some key executive members who won't be standing for election again next year," Dillon said.

"The reason I'm not standing is only because of the time it takes and running my own financial practice.

"I will still be involved with the club and help as much as I can, but I won't be president next year."

dont get carried away doona, could be a smokie...

Yeah true didn't think of that.

Went to Broady and Heathcote last year and got into the half time doo with tucker and cans thanks to Dessie Gilmore any chance of getting another gig tomorrow?

Must admit apart from the Roos getting pumped that wasn't a bad day at Barrack Reserve last year chook :thumbsu:

Was a good article and I'm sure this points system will be introduced in more and more leagues over time. Makes some of my article from a fortnight ago make more sense on this thread eh fellas ;) :D

Must admit apart from the Roos getting pumped that wasn't a bad day at Barrack Reserve last year chook :thumbsu:
poor old hunly must be hard trying to attract players when the club struggles financially. we all know how much time and effort goes into running a footy club and its probably the same at most clubs. too fewdo too much. its amazes me how the mountain men dress up their sheep so well to play footy, they wouldnt be one team to break the salary cap now would they.............na not much

Cats look to exorcise their demons against White Hills

samnewthbw.jpg

Hair today, gone tomorrow: He may have lost his trademark beard, but Lockington-Bamawm United captain Sam Newth has lost none of his flair. The club legend will line up for his 200th game against White Hills tomorrow.​

August 10 2007
Riverine Herald

Lockington-Bamawm United (LBU) hosts White Hills tomorrow in round 16 of the Heathcote and District Football League.
A finals appearance has been all but sewn up by the Demons, unlike the Cats, who are floundering near the bottom of the ladder.
Last time the teams met, the Cats got out of the blocks early at White Hills, leading for the first half, but were blown out of the water by a nine-goal third term to the Demons.

LBU coach Greg Byrne said based on the last time they played, his side would have its work cut out for it tomorrow.
"It should be an interesting match. They have obviously played some good footy recently. We will have to play well to match them," he said.
"There's a chance there for sure, but we have to make sure we match up well and make our opportunities count."
Byrne said the Cats would not have their full-strength line-up for tomorrow's clash, but that had been par for the course this season.
"I think we will be close to it (full strength), but we have still got a couple out, but that seems to be every week," he said.
"At this stage, it's more of a confidence thing. We have got the players there but, after so many losses, they think they can't win. The talent is there, it's just a mental thing."
The recent inclusions of Matt Bongiovanni and Brad Smit have bolstered the ranks.
"Smit has been great to have back. He provides a real spark wherever he plays," he said.
"Matt Bongiovanni has provided run and speed and has been great when he gets the footy.
"Then there are players like Matty Martin, Sammy Newth (and) Nat (Nathan) O'Brien who have been good all year. Blair Suffolk has been good up forward all year."
Cats captain Sam Newth will rack up 200 games when he steps out onto Lockington reserve tomorrow.
Byrne praised the influential player for his performance this year.
"Sammy has been a real shining light for us this season. Things have been a bit down and he has really knuckled down and worked hard and played some really good football," he said.
The experienced midfielder is taking the milestone in his stride.
"It's been a tough year, but I will be treating it the same as any other match," Newth said.
"Obviously I am a bit nervous. There are quite a few people coming down to have a look."
Newth is a true clubman, spending his entire footballing journey with LBU after playing his first senior game in 1995.
"It's been a bit disappointing this year. There have been some positives, though," he said.
"We have played a lot of young kids and that has helped their development a lot. And we have also given a lot of players the opportunity to play senior football who otherwise may not have had the chance."
As for tomorrow's match, Newth is heading in with a positive attitude and rates his side a chance.
"I feel pretty good about it. We played against them earlier in the year and were up by about five goals at half time and they ran away with it in the last half to get up by seven or eight goals," he said.
"If we can play some of the same footy as we played in that first half, then we have got to be a real chance, especially at home."
LBU coach Greg Byrne last night announced he would be stepping down from his role as coach at the end of the season.
Byrne, who this year took over the cafe at the old Echuca post office, said it was difficult to find the time the coaching commitment required.
"It is just because of my time commitments with family and the business," he said.
"I would love to keep playing, but I will resign from the coaching side so the club can look for someone else early."
While he is keen to coach out the remaining games of the season, Byrne said informing the club at this stage would provide a better opportunity to source new candidates.
"I think it's important they get onto it early," he said. "We have got a good group of young kids and they need time put into them and, with the right coach, we will be right back at the top of the ladder very soon."

Yes I think it's still on although the hosts have changed and Andrew "Laurie, Magpie, Monkey" Conforti will be looking after the lads if he isn't doing the running for the seniors.

HDFL DUNNY TALK ROUND 16

At the Zoo the doggies will be trying to stop the red hot bloods. North will be fired up and be competitive early with consistent performers in Adrian 'alf' Alford and Mick Ignatenko making a contest, but when Elmore flex their muscle through the midfield in Grant, Fev and co, North will crumble like the Minnesota bridge leaving the dogs in ruins. Elmore easy.:)

Locky will host Whitehills in a r-rated affair with Demons coach Matt 'f*ckin' Sawyer keen for his 'f*ckin' troops to run all 'f*ckin' day to prove they are a 'f*ckin' threat come finals time. Cats coach Greg 'riverboat' Byrne will expect a big effort from his team as they are starting to get a side together with Matt 'smokin' Bongiovanni and Steve 'roxanne' Martin the keys. Should be close but White hills 'f*ckin' just.:eek:

Colbo will smash the granny out of Huntly. Enough said.:p

Match of the round is the much anticipated rematch between two sides vying for fifth place and a finals birth, Heathcote and Broadford. The Roos will be hoping they dont slip up and that key players in Fletch, Dunne and Taylor are all on song. Undermanned for much of the season the Saints have handy inclusions in Lech 'morag' Featherstone, Andrew 'fruit' Saladino and some guy called Tobin. Heathcote coach Al 'molly' Meldrum is confident of a win and has flown in acts Greenday and Bono to perform 'The saints are coming' for home fans after the match, but Chris 'pillowcase' Nolans Roos can spoil the party by sending Bono home, leaving Greenday and Saints fans with 'Wake me up when September ends':D

Tip of the week: Dont take drugs

I think the two umpire associations need to talk to each other as they both seem to have different views on the rule.
Its a bit hard when week to week the umpires call it completely different and as we are all aware as players they are NEVER wrong.
As for the game fantom i think it was great from a spectators point of view and frustrating from a players. Sometimes you just wish that the boys in white or orange would let the game flow.
Did you watch all four quarters:confused:

Yeah watched all 4 and can tell you Fantom is startin to get "BigKev Excited" as the Hillies continue to improve week after week on their quest for the Holy Grail. Game was a Cliff hanger up until the 15 min mark of the last and could have gone either way. As far as the umps go you are spot on as it is very frustrating watching the rules change from week to week.

Looking forward to the game at Locky tomorrow but junior commitments in the morning are gonna stop me visiting all me relations at Bamawm Extension, sorry Guys:(.

And hopefully there will be no Chocolates for Charlie:D

Fantom:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Oh Yeah, 1st placed Huntly to defeat 2nd placed Golden Square by 8 points in the U13.5's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HDFL DUNNY TALK ROUND 16

Locky will host Whitehills in a r-rated affair with Demons coach Matt 'f*ckin' Sawyer keen for his 'f*ckin' troops to run all 'f*ckin' day to prove they are a 'f*ckin' threat come finals time. Cats coach Greg 'riverboat' Byrne will expect a big effort from his team as they are starting to get a side together with Matt 'smokin' Bongiovanni and Steve 'roxanne' Martin the keys. Should be close but White hills 'f*ckin' just.:eek:

"Too F*ckin right mate"
Disappointing to see that Josh "Stuey" Griffin didn't come up again for the Hillabillies

"Victory is mine"

Was a good article and I'm sure this points system will be introduced in more and more leagues over time. Makes some of my article from a fortnight ago make more sense on this thread eh fellas ;) :D

Points system makes no difference. Central Murray is a prime example of this. The stron get stronger and the weak get weaker. You just have to go further away to attract your gun players but you can pay them more because there is no salary cap. Example is Balranald up there. Huntly will be worse off in my opinion

Points system makes no difference. Central Murray is a prime example of this. The stron get stronger and the weak get weaker. You just have to go further away to attract your gun players but you can pay them more because there is no salary cap. Example is Balranald up there. Huntly will be worse off in my opinion

Fantom hears what you're sayin Rootsta. My belief is that the less successful clubs should not try and restrict the more effluent:D clubs by imposing new rules, but use their situation as a short term benchmark with the aim of surpassing it in the shortest possible timeframe. EVERY community has people and businesses that would benefit in one way or another by involvement or membership at their local football/Netball club. Chase em down and get them on board. Just imagine if you managed to get Billy Gates as your No.1 ticket holder and he threw a few bucks at the club as sponsorship, You would be somewhere near Mounts in no time:D. So remember this if it is the only thing you get from this sermon, The Good Lord (or in my case, The Fantom of the Opera) invented the square (or the Oval) so us simpletons could look and think outside it.

Congrats to Huntly for recognising the need for some changes and encouraging support from the community by way of the meeting on Sunday.

Oh Yeah, "Recognise those who will encourage your juniors to leave and encourage them to"

Yeah watched all 4 and can tell you Fantom is startin to get "BigKev Excited" as the Hillies continue to improve week after week on their quest for the Holy Grail. Game was a Cliff hanger up until the 15 min mark of the last and could have gone either way. As far as the umps go you are spot on as it is very frustrating watching the rules change from week to week.

Looking forward to the game at Locky tomorrow but junior commitments in the morning are gonna stop me visiting all me relations at Bamawm Extension, sorry Guys:(.

And hopefully there will be no Chocolates for Charlie:D

Oh Yeah, 1st placed Huntly to defeat 2nd placed Golden Square by 8 points in the U13.5's

very close to my old stomping ground fantom, played for the tigers myself under the watchful eye of Georgie Pearce back in 80/81 and will be visiting my relations while making the trek up north to the catery:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Fantom hears what you're sayin Rootsta. My belief is that the less successful clubs should not try and restrict the more effluent:D clubs by imposing new rules, but use their situation as a short term benchmark with the aim of surpassing it in the shortest possible timeframe. EVERY community has people and businesses that would benefit in one way or another by involvement or membership at their local football/Netball club. Chase em down and get them on board. Just imagine if you managed to get Billy Gates as your No.1 ticket holder and he threw a few bucks at the club as sponsorship, You would be somewhere near Mounts in no time:D. So remember this if it is the only thing you get from this sermon, The Good Lord (or in my case, The Fantom of the Opera) invented the square (or the Oval) so us simpletons could look and think outside it.

Congrats to Huntly for recognising the need for some changes and encouraging support from the community by way of the meeting on Sunday.

Oh Yeah, "Recognise those who will encourage your juniors to leave and encourage them to"

I am not sure if you got what i was trying to say Fantom. The points system does nothing to even up competitions. I come from a struggling club in the CMFL. The points system did not stop other clubs firstly taking our best players then topping up with gun players from outside the league. All the points system does is says to the rich clubs "you can pay whatever you want just get them from somewhere else"

thats it Im throwing a few F bombs into my addresses from here on in :thumbsu:

Doona your a man of your word,I thought i would go over to your huddle for the quater time address the F bombs were rolling of your tongue i lost count after 50.But seriously some bad kicking by H/Cote before halftime kept u in touch and why you had Taylor down in the back half an Dunn had pushed up to the center in the first quater this did not help your game and yes you did say after the game you did not no Dunn had also gone up field somethink the B/ford coaching staff will have to keep a close check on also getting back to the huddle at quater time being an outsider i sensed the B/Ford boys were not swiched on.The other thing that might have hurt you in the last quater was the teams discipline and the young blokes report you really do not need that hopefully going in to the finals you need every man on deck and swiched on mentally by saying that i would think the young bloke would have felt very disappoint that he has let his team mates down i would hope this is the last quote with anythink more on the report we will move on.Also Doona i had a look at the Netball people seem to forgett about the Netball what a great game in A Res H/Cote beating B/Ford first defeat for the season and A Grade was even better H/Cote getting up by 2.Overall what a great day 3 tight games of Footy and 4 great games of Netball people could go away saying what a great day of entertainment:thumbsu:

Doona your a man of your word,I thought i would go over to your huddle for the quater time address the F bombs were rolling of your tongue i lost count after 50.But seriously some bad kicking by H/Cote before halftime kept u in touch and why you had Taylor down in the back half an Dunn had pushed up to the center in the first quater this did not help your game and yes you did say after the game you did not no Dunn had also gone up field somethink the B/ford coaching staff will have to keep a close check on also getting back to the huddle at quater time being an outsider i sensed the B/Ford boys were not swiched on.The other thing that might have hurt you in the last quater was the teams discipline and the young blokes report you really do not need that hopefully going in to the finals you need every man on deck and swiched on mentally by saying that i would think the young bloke would have felt very disappoint that he has let his team mates down i would hope this is the last quote with anythink more on the report we will move on.Also Doona i had a look at the Netball people seem to forgett about the Netball what a great game in A Res H/Cote beating B/Ford first defeat for the season and A Grade was even better H/Cote getting up by 2.Overall what a great day 3 tight games of Footy and 4 great games of Netball people could go away saying what a great day of entertainment:thumbsu:
well big ump what amazes us is how fev gets to accept a week for king hitting an opponent then kicking him yet one broadford player trades hay makers with a heathcote player gets reported by a ten year old boundary umpire and dont even get offered a week has to front the tribunal

well big ump what amazes us is how fev gets to accept a week for king hitting an opponent then kicking him yet one broadford player trades hay makers with a heathcote player gets reported by a ten year old boundary umpire and dont even get offered a week has to front the tribunal

No i do not how to answer that one it was not the boundary umpire it was field umpire who reported him it happened wright in front of us
I think some of your supporters had a good veiw of it also lets not harp on it i only mention it before anyone else did so we can move on and do not get bogged down on the one thing:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back