Hendo as a Key Forward....

Remove this Banner Ad

This year we have reverted back to using defensive outside midfielders (wings) to fill the hole in defence. Mostly this is done by Rory (think of the times he has marked unopposed in the D50) and then he runs the ball forward. This was the role played by Brad Symes in 2009/10 without the kicking efficiency of Sloaney.
& what a job Sloaney has done filling the hole in defence or cutting out leading forwards. Very under-rated for this role & gut running to get forward too.

the "soft" calls were premature and harsh.

Have to strongly disagree with this. I read an article last year where he was interviewed, and asked what the hardest thing converting to footy from basketball was. He said that it was the physical side - and it showed.

He looked like a guy who was afraid to take a hit, (understandable for a kid whose played hardly any footy, coming up against AFL players) and there were plenty of times where he hesitated as a result.

At the start of this year I thought he went a lot harder when chasing/tackling and was comfortable applying physical pressure, but to me he still looked to hesitate when he had the ball and heard the footsteps. Against Port was the first game that I havent seen it from him. Maybe a confidence thing, but if he is past it, then we have the makings of a very handy footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hendo as a Key Forward....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back