Heppell suing Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

What we be the real issue is who is heppell's employer. I understand the AFL is meaning Essendon might not be able to declare insolvent for the what could be $100m plus in claims.

This could put the whole draft and player movement restrictions into question.

What we be the real issue is who is heppell's employer. I understand the AFL is meaning Essendon might not be able to declare insolvent for the what could be $100m plus in claims.

This could put the whole draft and player movement restrictions into question.

Unlikely to get anywhere near 100m.

Question how much insurance coverage does Essendon have, EFC financial situation only becomes an issue after this point.

I doubt this will cripple EFC, worst case I can see if EFC has a long term low interest loan to the AFL to make up any cash short fall.

Unlikely to get anywhere near 100m.

Question how much insurance coverage does Essendon have, EFC financial situation only becomes an issue after this point.

I doubt this will cripple EFC, worst case I can see if EFC has a long term low interest loan to the AFL to make up any cash short fall.

40 players suing for loss of income and the big one in the future being health. Including health of their kids.

It could be in the tens of millions each

40 players suing for loss of income and the big one in the future being health. Including health of their kids.

It could be in the tens of millions each

You dreaming if you think it get that high. Only been a handful of cases in Australian history that have payouts that big.

Don't forget this case has not stopped them from working, just working in sport. It's not like they crippled and need on going support they have only been effectively suspend for 9-12 months. Proving long term lost of income for that amount be difficult to establish.

The long term health affects are unknown and suspect will be covered via some kind of fund akin to the James Hardie abstos fund and applied for as health issues develop with on going monitoring not a upfront payment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You dreaming if you think it get that high. Only been a handful of cases in Australian history that have payouts that big.

Don't forget this case has not stopped them from working, just working in sport. It's not like they crippled and need on going support they have only been effectively suspend for 9-12 months. Proving long term lost of income for that amount be difficult to establish.

The long term health affects are unknown and suspect will be covered via some kind of fund akin to the James Hardie abstos fund and applied for as health issues develop with on going monitoring not a upfront payment.

You might be right but only time will tell if there isn't health including mental health concerns.

Don't forget the club can not defend itself in court as they can not say what they administered.

Essendon will negotiate settlements with each of the players they want to keep or wants to stay.

Confidentiality agreements will mean it should be easy for Essendon and the AFL to include future earnings outside of the cap too.

Will possible payouts to players that Ess want to keep end up being the 21st century version of the brown paper bag full of cash?
Imagine a player being 'awarded' say $1.5 mill for troubles that doesn't count towards salary cap numbers. Handy sign on (non) bonus

Why should insurers have to pay?

Dreaming is free. With the state of my team I'm doing lots of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Heppell suing Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back