Heppell suing Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

yep, club management of the saga has improved drastically and now they are on top of their game.

EFC will keep all the required players, who will be compensated fairly in accordance with the way they were treated. And move forwards united. It's good to see
Yep 60 days since the last PR disaster.

Recent news is the dispute going to mediation which was alway going to happen prior to this getting to court.

The interesting thing will be to see is how fairly the insurers lawyers think the players should be dealt with given the insurers standard position is don't pay anything. It will also be interesting to see how the ex-players are dealt with compared to the players currently on the list given the dealings with HH.

The lawyers picnic continues. I have never received an invoice from Freehills that was less than I expected.

But they're getting paid anyway aren't they?

Heppell has picked up a media gig, and all those still playing have been offered new contracts.

Add to that that the club says they know they weren't given anything banned or harmful, plus the fact that the players were found to have been complicit in the program - and I can't really see what the club is being sued for.

Players haven't been found complicit. Only in WADA gaga land. Back on planet earth they requested and signed off on everything being above board.

The acceptance of mediocrity can work its way into a club's pshyche very quickly.

Essendon are dead set embracing it at the moment!
Because there is just such a great prospect of Essendon being a great side this year.

Let's call it for what it is- Essendon fans are less depressed about everything than you thought they'd be, and it bugs you.

Oh well.

Players haven't been found complicit. Only in WADA gaga land. Back on planet earth they requested and signed off on everything being above board.
I mean what more could they have done,. I'm amazed this defence hasn't been used in other jurisdictions.
Customer-" Is this mind altering drug legal and above board" Dealer- " It certainly is I've even got this form for you to sign which proves it and protects me, I mean you" customer- " Excellent, what could go wrong, count me in"

Well technically, it is AFL gaga land - as the AFL have signed to, trained out and largley mismanaged, WADA/ASADA/CAS gaga land. ;)

It’s employment arbitration. Why the hell would it be done in public?

There’s courts for that, if it needs to go that way.

Both sides of a dispute want to negotiate in private, it’s got nothing to do with anybody else. People are just being voyeuristic. The players’ lives and employment details aren’t your property.
Ordinarily yes, employment contract negotiations should be private, but I see it as something else.

The employment resulted in OH&S violations, where the employees are still not fully in control of their future health.
I don't remember seeing too many other employer governance failures involving mass-drugging of employees with "unknown" substances.

As well as many other oversight failures, medical trial management, sport regulatory, accounting, etc.

This is well beyond standard emploment contract management - it really is a precedence for organisational failure, at least "out in the open" and probably indicative of other shoddy practices in sporting managememt - of the ilk we are seeing out of NRL, FIFA, IOC, etc, etc.

It's just that this little saga is our very own, home grown and fueled.

Not all of the voyeurism is centred on the lives of the players. For mine, this is governance-pron. The players, are unfortunately for them, the meat in the cabinet that everyone is chomping on.

I still think this was the tip of the iceberg and that there are other clubs and players out there, that will be squirming for another ~5 years.

Just sucks to be your club, that was the most obviously, greedy and stupid one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's call it for what it is- Essendon fans are less depressed about everything than you thought they'd be, and it bugs you.
It was always about:
(a) A club cheated
(b) When caught red-handed, said club tried to weasle out of it and continues to do so

It was never a personal thing against EFC fans to begin with (honestly, the EFC and their fans bug nobody, like the Tiges they were relevant in the previous century, not this one).

Where it got personal on here was due to folks taking part in (b), particularly taking extreme skeptical viewpoints akin to 'if I wasn't inside the syringe swimming in the drugs as they went into the vein, it didn't happen'.

Well firstly, to say it only got personal at times because of Essendon fans is absolute dross. Both sides in this debate have behaved extremely poorly at times, and I know the number of disgusting comments from both sides that I and the other moderators have had to deal with has been extremely high.

Apart from that, not much of what you've said is related to what I was saying anyway; that the fact that Essendon fans, by and large, seem to taking things in their stride this year and accepting this year for what it is (a gap year, basically; we're no good and we're no chance of being any good) and that the relative lack of sky is falling talk from Essendon fans seems to really bother some people.

You can't win. On the one hand some will argue that Essendon fans' impatience might have been one of the progenitors behind the 'get big quick' mentality that's ultimately led to this mess- that the club felt it needed to sate the fanbase by taking the quick route, so to speak.

And now in another we're being accused of accepting mediocrity when there is precisely 0% chance of there being anything but mediocrity this year? What a load of absolute drivel. Obtuse, inane drivel.

Not having a go at you PetterdHoisted, by the way.

Well firstly, to say it only got personal at times because of Essendon fans is absolute dross. Both sides in this debate have behaved extremely poorly at times, and I know the number of disgusting comments from both sides that I and the other moderators have had to deal with has been extremely high.

Apart from that, not much of what you've said is related to what I was saying anyway; that the fact that Essendon fans, by and large, seem to taking things in their stride this year and accepting this year for what it is (a gap year, basically; we're no good and we're no chance of being any good) and that the relative lack of sky is falling talk from Essendon fans seems to really bother some people.

You can't win. On the one hand some will argue that Essendon fans' impatience might have been one of the progenitors behind the 'get big quick' mentality that's ultimately led to this mess- that the club felt it needed to sate the fanbase by taking the quick route, so to speak.

And now in another we're being accused of accepting mediocrity when there is precisely 0% chance of there being anything but mediocrity this year? What a load of absolute drivel. Obtuse, inane drivel.

Not having a go at you PetterdHoisted, by the way.
haha yes, I forget there are many extreme posts we haven't seen thanks to moderators!

and yes sorry I misinterpreted you in the middle of another argument, I'm just sensitive to the idea flipped around here and championed by RoCo in the media, that people are revelling in the situation because it's EFC and they've won 16 premierships etc. etc.

I'm convinced it was the clubs behaviour not the clubs colours that drew the ire.

You are so sad. Come to this forum to troll people who care about the sport they love.
From one troll to another, if you love the sport so much stop dragging it down with your cynical obsession with EFC. It's pretty much over, move on, enjoy the footy.
But that's what burns in your belly isn't it, the fact that essendon supporters are enjoying seeing the young players especially, playing with such passion for the club?

No, that is great that the current flock are playing above expectations.
Cynical obsession, that's justifies your argument and your trolling.
Your club got caught cheating and are still in denial, the cheats are still trying to get off on a technicality. This is why it is not over. While people deny it will remain an active topic.
That ticks me off.
By talking about the EFC cheating does not drag the game down, the cheating itself does that. There is nothing I can do to besmirch EFC.

I think you might have planet earth and gaga land confused.

You do mean CAS don't you?
And where would this planet earth be? Australia?

If the players wanted to sue for loss of earnings they'd have a very good case as they were misled.

It's the simple facts of the matter - this WADA "personal responsibility" thing doesn't make it legal for anybody or any club to just tell athletes one thing and then do another.

You're confusing planet WADA with a court of law.

Your club got caught cheating and are still in denial, the cheats are still trying to get off on a technicality. This is why it is not over. While people deny it will remain an active topic.
That ticks me off.
By talking about the EFC cheating does not drag the game down, the cheating itself does that. There is nothing I can do to besmirch EFC.

It'll be denied forever, so prepare yourself to be permanently "ticked off".

That ticks me off.
While the club admit to mistakes they believe they didnt cheat. Whether that annoys you or not is irrelevant

While the club admit to mistakes they believe they didnt cheat. Whether that annoys you or not is irrelevant

If they don't think they cheated, why are they spedning your dough to pay off players that they don't believe they gave anything banned or harmful to?

It doesn't add up.

As a member, how do you feel about the cub rolling over so easily on this with the players?

The club solemnly believes they didn't cheat. They solemnly believe they didn't give the players anything banned or harmful.

The players that remain, are happy to stay at the club. We've heard that they loved Hird and didn't nor don't harbor any grudges against the club for what happened.

The players believe they did nothing wrong. They believe they didn't take anything banned or harmful - and ASADA and the CAS just got it wrong.

Presumably, the players believe the club. They both believe they've been dudded - the club because they didn't maintain good record keeping to prove the innocence of all involved, and the players for not enquiring with ASADA or Dr Reid about 'thymosin'.

The players and the club are the victims in all of this.

According to the players and the club.

Yet as a member, you think it's Ok for the players to go on a cash grab against the club, whom you and the players believe to be innocent??

Doesn't smell right to me.

Last edited:
If the players wanted to sue for loss of earnings they'd have a very good case as they were misled.

It's the simple facts of the matter - this WADA "personal responsibility" thing doesn't make it legal for anybody or any club to just tell athletes one thing and then do another.

You're confusing planet WADA with a court of law.
But the cub doesn't believe they misled them.

They just think ASADA and WADA got it wrong though don't they?

If WADA's world doesn't mean anything in a court - why aren't Essendon fighting the players on these law suits?

If WADA's world doesn't mean anything in a court - why aren't Essendon fighting the players on these law suits?
Cos dankypoo in court would blow essendon to the schiezenhouzen (spell)

Im not sure how slowly you need things explained.

The players requested assurances that measures and process were in place around the safety and approval of the program, and were given them. In writing.

There was a complete breakdown in any sort of process - numerous breakdowns that the club has admitted to.

Now that doesn't mean anything re their own defence in WADA land, where you're not allowed to take the word of anybody as read, but back on earth, and in the courts, they've been misled, pure and simple.

It's pretty bloody straightforward, I don't know if you're filibustering or just thick.

Why the hell would the club want their claims fought out in court? Some are current employees who they wish to remain with the club. It would drag out the process and cost more time and money. And they have a good case, so the chances are the club would lose. Why in the **** would they want to fight it? Of course they're looking to settle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Heppell suing Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back