Heritage Round Jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

originally SOO was infact competely between the major leagues of each state (just as is done now with VFL, SANFL and WAFL). I beleive this was changed in the mid 70's. Only thing i have against this is that the State jumper represented the entire state, not one club.

Freo wearing east Freo jumper is only advertising the WAFL club, and would onyl benifit them. I do not see how the state jumper could help the state.

the whole heritage round is a joke!!

Precisely.

'1970's Heritage Round.' Can someone say Victorian marketing exercise?

Fremantle, Adelaide and West Coast did not exist in the 1970's, and hence don't have a jumper from their own history to wear.

Port Adelaide existed but played in a different competition and do have a jumper from their own history to wear, but let's not go into the dramas surrounding that. You'd think they were applying to the AFL to develop nuclear energy, not wear a slightly different jumper.

I really couldn't give a shit what we wear. We weren't around in the 70's and don't pretend we were. Trying to pretend a historical link between an entity founded in the 90's and certain hundred year old WAFL clubs exists is more embarrassing than wearing a state guernsey for the sake of a commercial gimmick round IMO.

West Coast aren't claiming to be the state team, or that the state jumper in some way represents the club, but are wearing it to honour the heritage of WA football in the 1970's. If we were drawn to play Freo this round and they opted to wear the predominantly black WA jumper against our predominantly gold one, I really wouldn't mind. It'd still be WC vs Freo, and both jumpers would still be WA jumpers.

Heritage-Round-2007.gif

Not 100% on all of them, but from what's been released so far, they should look like these.

Underwhemling is how I describe them.
Mostly it's teams wearing what they wear every week, with a few controversial ones thrown in.

When you look at the selection of jumpers, it is clear Heritage Round is over hopefully. As Mero has said, most of the Victorian clubs have got kits not much different to their preferred current strip, and particularly in the case of Freo and West Coast both have had to come up with solutions many find unsatisfactory.

FWIW, I can understand some people not being happy with the Eagles wearing the SoO jumper, though in the end given it's 70's round they had two options.

Wear a WAFL jumper from that era, which judging by the reactions of some Sharks fans to the Dockers wearing theirs would have pissed people off....or do what they have done. (or tell the AFL to go screw themselves).

When you look at the selection of jumpers, it is clear Heritage Round is over hopefully. As Mero has said, most of the Victorian clubs have got kits not much different to their preferred current strip, and particularly in the case of Freo and West Coast both have had to come up with solutions many find unsatisfactory.

FWIW, I can understand some people not being happy with the Eagles wearing the SoO jumper, though in the end given it's 70's round they had two options.

Wear a WAFL jumper from that era, which judging by the reactions of some Sharks fans to the Dockers wearing theirs would have pissed people off....or do what they have done. (or tell the AFL to go screw themselves).
Yeah I was about to ask the same. Surely this concept has almost run out of legs.

At least we didn't take the 'Adelaide' option. That is terrible.

Why do you care so much about what the Eagles wear? :confused:

I actually meant i couldnt care less.

On the East Freo fans whinging about the Dockers wearing an East Freo guernsey its a bit of bad luck really. After all we are the Fremantle Football Club, and represent all of Fremantle whether that be East, South or the old North side.
East Freo as a club would love to see us wearing the guernsey i have no doubts there.

Heritage-Round-2007.gif

Not 100% on all of them, but from what's been released so far, they should look like these.

Underwhemling is how I describe them.
Mostly it's teams wearing what they wear every week, with a few controversial ones thrown in.

These strips make the 70s theme practically redundant. It's the non-Victorian teams who actually have something different to their current designs.

Interesting that Saints generally wear a clash guernsey vs. Collingwood. Does that mean this week they will wear a clash heritage top???

Interesting that Saints generally wear a clash guernsey vs. Collingwood. Does that mean this week they will wear a clash heritage top???

Technically, the jumper Collingwood is wearing this weekend is actually THEIR clash jumper, white with black stripes.
StKilda's Black jumper never clashed with Collingwood's white jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually meant i couldnt care less.

On the East Freo fans whinging about the Dockers wearing an East Freo guernsey its a bit of bad luck really. After all we are the Fremantle Football Club, and represent all of Fremantle whether that be East, South or the old North side.
East Freo as a club would love to see us wearing the guernsey i have no doubts there.

Funnily enough, just as I can see why some are offended by the Eagles selection, though I don't think there was an option everyone would have been happy with, as an Eagles AND East Fremantle supporter (Sharks for 28 years now), I have no problem with the Dockers wearing our jumper.

I made a choice to stick with the Eagles and ignore the Dockers links to Freo football, doesn't mean the club should do the same come Heritage Round. Truth be told I think some (not all) Eagles supporters bemoaning Dockers rights to wear the Sharks jumper is purely defensive argument because of Dockers fans whining about us wearing the state jumper.

Neither club had an option open to them that was going to make everyone happy, and they have both opted for solutions that have some merit and logic if taken in the right spirit.

Good to see Port in the prison bars, always good to see the Fitzroy jumper revived, bot looking at the rest, all this Heritage Round has done is stir up some controversy for clubs that weren't even around in the 70's.

Hopefully it has run it's course, and Brisbane can be given permission to wear the Fitzroy strip periodically.

I agree that the big V should be worn but by ALL Victorian born sides on heritage week this incldes the Swans and the Lions this would be funny to watch!

Maybe the Metro teams could wear the Big V, and Geelong can wear the Vic Country, White with Blue Vee.

Perhaps have a state of origin round.

Brisbane wear Maroon state top.
Sydney Wear the two blues jumpers.
Adelaide and Port wear SA Jumpers
Freo and West Coast wear WA jumpers.
Hawthorn wear a Tassie top.
The other 9 clubs wear the Big V and if it is 2 Victorian clubs playing each other they wear a Vic Metro V Vic country jumper.

I know it would never happen but for something different it would be pritty cool.

How about they go the other way next year, and have a future round? We could see what the Gold Coast Kangaroos, the merged St.K/Melbourne side, the Tassie Hawks and the Western Sydney Bulldogs will be wearing in ten years time.

I once did a Tassie Hawks jumper.
Tassie-Hawks.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Heritage Round Jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back