Higgins goal

Remove this Banner Ad

What don't people get about throwing the ball to DISPOSE of it being illegal v throwing the ball to yourself, which is perfectly legal as per interpretation? Handballing the ball to yourself is exactly the same as throwing it to yourself, ie, you're in possession the whole time, even while the ball's in the air - neither are counted as disposal - and you still have to bounce or dispose of the ball after 15 metres.

What don't people get about throwing the ball to DISPOSE of it being illegal v throwing the ball to yourself, which is perfectly legal as per interpretation? Handballing the ball to yourself is exactly the same as throwing it to yourself, ie, you're in possession the whole time, even while the ball's in the air - neither are counted as disposal - and you still have to bounce or dispose of the ball after 15 metres.

You can't throw the ball to yourself and then catch it, if Higgins had of grabbed the ball with his hands and then tried to kick it, it would have rightly been ruled a throw.

The only reason he got away with it is because the grey area in the rules where you can throw the ball and then volley it making it a legal disposal

Going by the official rules it doesn't mention kicking as an exemption so it should have been paid a throw.
What about all the players who spin the ball in their hands prior to taking a set shot at goal?
By definition, these are also throws, but I've never seen anyone penalised for doing it.

I wish people were more concerned about actual throws from players who don't handball with their left hand, but just sling the ball across their body with their right hand and pretend to hit it with their left. Happens all the time, but nobody says anything about it. :drunk:

Last Friday night, I saw Michael Hurley put under pressure and throw the ball about 15m along the ground to a teammate using one of these dodgy "handpasses". The commentators and crowd all applauded him. He should've been penalised.

Players should learn to handball using both hands.

I cant find anything in the rules to say how the ball must travel from hand to foot. I saw Higgins position the ball so he could kick it. The fact he gave the ball a bit of air so he could get around the post was a piece of brilliance. Just cant see why anyone would think otherwise unless they are one of those 'gotcha' flogs who only find satisfaction in the flaws of another.

We complain that there isn't enough flair and excitement in the game yet some of us want to see a goal like that disallowed because of some minor elevation from hand to foot.

If this is not a goal, then Luke Parker's awesome goal in Round 1 would not be a goal either because the ball was elevated into the air from hand more than Higgins' goal.

Yup

As stupid a scenario as it is (and yes I know that no-one would actually try this in real life because it wouldn't work) I think the important question to answer is whether a player could throw the ball over the head of an opponent (or even his own team-mate), then run around him and kick the ball before it hits the ground?

If we're saying that there's no official rule on the ball drop and how the ball travels before you kick it then it sounds like the above scenario is legal.

If we're saying that the above scenario is illegal based on the definition of throwing the ball which also includes the act of propelling the football with one or both hands in a scooping motion then I can't see how Higgins' scenario could be viewed any different.

As stupid a scenario as it is (and yes I know that no-one would actually try this in real life because it wouldn't work) I think the important question to answer is whether a player could throw the ball over the head of an opponent (or even his own team-mate), then run around him and kick the ball before it hits the ground?

If we're saying that there's no official rule on the ball drop and how the ball travels before you kick it then it sounds like the above scenario is legal.

If we're saying that the above scenario is illegal based on the definition of throwing the ball which also includes the act of propelling the football with one or both hands in a scooping motion then I can't see how Higgins' scenario could be viewed any different.
Instead of using your absurdly exaggerated example, why don't you just use the Higgins goal as the example, but remove the goal post from the equation and imagine Higgins did EXACTLY the same thing out on the half forward flank? Would an umpire penalise a player for throwing the ball if he tossed it up to himself at shoulder height and then swung his boot at it ?

No.

It's the goal post which is messing with people's minds. My own instinctive reaction when it happened was "THROW!" But then I thought about it and decided you can't penalise a player for throwing the ball onto their boot. That's a kick, Not a throw. It's an awkward kick, but still a kick.

You can't throw the ball to yourself and then catch it, if Higgins had of grabbed the ball with his hands and then tried to kick it, it would have rightly been ruled a throw.

The only reason he got away with it is because the grey area in the rules where you can throw the ball and then volley it making it a legal disposal
Nah you can throw it to yourself, but it's not counted as a disposal nor is it disposing of the ball. The only reason you don't see it is there's no reason to do it and if you fumbled it your coach would go bananas. Unless your name's Jack Higgins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Higgins goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back