Hird barred by Channel 9 from appearing on Talking Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by topdon
Its football! James Hird is the EFC captain. Why don't Ch9 just ban him from being interviewed by Ch10 or Foxtel after the game? Where does it end? Ch9 don't own James Hird's image. Hird is contracted to appear on The Footy Show. He is NOT a Ch9 personality .. he is a footballer ... a captain.

Hirds takes $$$$$$ to be a Ch9 personality...He can't have his cake and eat it to.

Originally posted by marcuz
Channel nine did Hird a favour..talking footy is a joke. He should be thankful he has a contract that protects him from appearing on that garbage.

So TFS has changed significantly in the last 12 months or so (since I last watched it)??? It was certainly rubbish and a joke when I last viewed.

Originally posted by JUBJUB
Todays Hun mentions ch7 wouldn't allow Mark Riccuito to record a 5 second piece for ch9 for last friday nights game.

exactly so ch 7 got what was coming to them.

However, these guys have primary employers being their football clubs and I thought that under the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the AFLPA this was a no no.

Apparently now ch7 are talking to Essendon about their $300k sponsorship arrangement of their website.

Shame that these blokes have to be so petty about things.

Channel 7 did this for years - remember how they wouldn't let 9 show footage of games on TFS? Remember how 9/10/Fox did the same to Rex Hunts Sunday footy panel last year? *** for Tat crap and in the end the loser is the footy public. 9 should have bitten the bullet and let him appear and then maybe these childish games would have stopped.

Originally posted by funky_monk
If thats the case tell James not to accept the cash 9 paid him to appear on their shows.

Hird took the cash so he has to honour the agreement.
Spot on.
Originally posted by Porthos
If anyone should be sueing someone it should be Essendon getting stuck into Hird for signing a secondary contract that makes him unable to satisfactorily perform the responsibilities of the Essendon captaincy.
Also spot on.
Fair point. Just hate how the television networks have taken such a stranglehold on footy. A commercial agreement is a commercial agreement. Just doesn't make it right thats all.
Players make good money outside footy and are bound by contracts when they work for a single network. It has been the case for quite some time and 7 even banned use of footage by other networks. I agree it is a shame but it is commercial reality and that is the path pursued by the AFL and all the clubs. Like it or not, footy does not operate outside the real world. My biggest concern is that all the TV money means huge over exposure and massive focus on the arguments and off field issues rather than the actual footy. TV is the savior of a number of clubs but potentially the only real threat footy faces. Itr is impossible to change that though. The AFL can’t get involved having instigated the exact same issues re Brisbane and Geelong for the exact same reasons.

all commercial contracts and legalities aside there needs to be some common sense.
According to the herald scum there is a new rule regarding media contracts whereby networks can't prevent players from appearing on rival networks. Problem in this case is Hird's two year contract predated this rule.

As a captain he should be first and foremost an employee and spokesperson for the Club and not for a television network.

As mentioned in the paper Hird by not appearing on TF despite his club having a contract with 7 has made it appear that he is an employee of 9 before the EFC.

A very sad state of affairs and one that I am pretty confident he will rectify when the new contract is negotiated.

Sheedy

How many times does Kevin Sheedy go on the footy show? As far as I know he is contracted to Channel 7.

Am I right or am I right?

Re: Sheedy

Originally posted by willycat
How many times does Kevin Sheedy go on the footy show? As far as I know he is contracted to Channel 7.

Am I right or am I right?

Pretty sure Sheedy has it written into his contract with 7 that he is allowed to appear on other networks but not for money

The Essendon football club employs Hird. Channel 9 also employs Hird on a part time basis. His first contract is to the Essendon Football club. He agreed to go on the Channel 7 show . The Essendon Football club agreed for him to go on the show. Channel 9 threatened to sue James Hird if he appeared.

If Channel 7 decides to take legal action against the Essendon Football club for a breach of it's sponsorship agreement where does that leave Essendon and its relationship with James Hird. All clubs will need to review players contracts with Channel 9 if this type of behavious continues.

If James Hird has willingly signed a contract that is going to interfere with his duties to the club and as its captain then maybe he should be asked to stand down as captain? After all what is more important to him? His role as captain and his duty to the club or his TV role. At this time it seems that it is his TV role is his first priority and that is bringing him, the club and the AFL into conflict.

Perhaps Channel 9 have paid him $20,000 for his outburst on The Footy Show and were worried he would again say the wrong thing on National TV and reveal it was all a publicity stunt by The Footy Show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Evidently channel nine deny the sue threat. Just explained that they would prefer he didn't go on Talking Footy.
As his life progresses, it appears James would have better studying law than architecture.

Thank you Ch9!. After reading the stomach churning crap on the cack page of today's HUN re Jimmy not wanty Sheeds to go - i think the old "Face of Umpiring" has reached media saturation point. FFS he even shows up on the weetbix ad!!!!

Originally posted by Macpie
Thank you Ch9!. After reading the stomach churning crap on the cack page of today's HUN re Jimmy not wanty Sheeds to go - i think the old "Face of Umpiring" has reached media saturation point. FFS he even shows up on the weetbix ad!!!!

Are you implying that Eddie McGuire is now an unsaturated media commodity. It's all relativity.

People like you amazonstud are, in Rex's words, morons! You come on here sprouting forth your words of legal authority and wonderful insights in what should or should not be the case.

Once again you people make it seem like this is all about the footy player and their stupidity.

This was merely a simple t!t for tat,VERY COMMON AND NORMAL, 9 & 7 carry-on. The media once again wrote complete shyte on who said what and who was going to sue whom and who was going to cut sponsership of whom.

I just don't believe footballers, especially captains, should be made exclusive to ANY television/radio network. Thats my point.

Well if that's the case blame your friggin' captain for signing a contract with Channel 9. How bloody simple is that?

Originally posted by notenoughteams
Evidently channel nine deny the sue threat. Just explained that they would prefer he didn't go on Talking Footy.
As his life progresses, it appears James would have better studying law than architecture.

His missus is a lawyer, from memory. With two recent threats of defamation actions, I'd have thought the last place Hird would want to be is TALKING footy.

Originally posted by MGREG
Well if that's the case blame your friggin' captain for signing a contract with Channel 9. How bloody simple is that?
that would require a concession that Hird is capable of erring - Topdon is incapable of doing that

Since Channel Nine has got the football rights, how many game highlights has there been on TFS? I don't watch it but a friend of mine does and he can't remember any being shown at all, so the outcry that 7 didn't give them any footage is a load of shovel.
I do watch Talking Footy, though, and I would like to see my skipper come on to talk about how well he is going this year.
If Channel 9 are going to veto other contracted players to appear on Talking Footy, they may as well push the AFL to have a 17 team allowed in the competition called Channel Nine coached by the best coach never to coach in the AFL, Gary Lyon. The only problem they would have is what colours they would wear. They can't have Black and White, because Eddie would have a fit, nor Blue and White, because they are Carlton's. Any suggestions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hird barred by Channel 9 from appearing on Talking Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back