Hird to have his say

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essendon can chest beat all they like but the average football fan will see it for exactly what it is... The club again refusing the accept reality and trying to twist history.
Guilty drug cheats - oh how proud we are, let us march as one.
It's basically a gathering of fools and nothing else.
I think you're either missing the whole point of this initiative or you're just being difficult or provocative. I will assume the former.

Maybe the headline or opening paragraph of the HS article misrepresented the clubs ambition. In that case, I can understand why this could be construed as an example of Essendon not accepting reality etc. but it's actually not.

From a club perspective, it's focus is on the events at the G in round 2 as distinct to the Walk. This is about Essendon making a stand for its future. An opportunity to mobilise its faithful to look forward (not back as its been incorrectly interpreted). A chance for the Essendon hordes to gather and as one signal its strength and unity for the future. That's it.

The Walk is supporter driven and whilst it's aim is to show solidarity and strength Of the club, it also serves to send its thoughts and ongoing support of the 12/34 players. I don't believe it's about condoning the verdict, rather showing support during a difficult time for them.

Unfortunately the likes of Culbert miss the point and to Xavier Campbell's point about being blinkered, i don't believe anything Essendon could do to encourage strength about its future could be accepted. Then Shabbe Mc Guiness on 3AW wanted to make it about Hird. Essendon don't want to make this about Hird, the media did.

Irrespective of how we reason a HS journos article or interpretation, Essendon is a big club and it, along with the AFL needs it back to its former glory sooner rather than later. The game needs to move on. The AFL community want to move on. Essendon want to move on. Essendon should be encouraged to move on. This event is symbolic of Essendons intentions to signal a fresh start. And it wants to take its entire family with it. It will be a big crowd, probably between 60-70,000 people given good weather. The effort should be supported. To this I sniff an underlying wiff of discontent of the reemergence of a very big club in Essendon making a bold statement for a rosy future on the MCG.

I think you're either missing the whole point of this initiative or you're just being difficult or provocative. I will assume the former.

Maybe the headline or opening paragraph of the HS article misrepresented the clubs ambition. In that case, I can understand why this could be construed as an example of Essendon not accepting reality etc. but it's actually not.

From a club perspective, it's focus is on the events at the G in round 2 as distinct to the Walk. This is about Essendon making a stand for its future. An opportunity to mobilise its faithful to look forward (not back as its been incorrectly interpreted). A chance for the Essendon hordes to gather and as one signal its strength and unity for the future. That's it.

The Walk is supporter driven and whilst it's aim is to show solidarity and strength Of the club, it also serves to send its thoughts and ongoing support of the 12/34 players. I don't believe it's about condoning the verdict, rather showing support during a difficult time for them.

Unfortunately the likes of Culbert miss the point and to Xavier Campbell's point about being blinkered, i don't believe anything Essendon could do to encourage strength about its future could be accepted. Then Shabbe Mc Guiness on 3AW wanted to make it about Hird. Essendon don't want to make this about Hird, the media did.

Irrespective of how we reason a HS journos article or interpretation, Essendon is a big club and it, along with the AFL needs it back to its former glory sooner rather than later. The game needs to move on. The AFL community want to move on. Essendon want to move on. Essendon should be encouraged to move on. This event is symbolic of Essendons intentions to signal a fresh start. And it wants to take its entire family with it. It will be a big crowd, probably between 60-70,000 people given good weather. The effort should be supported. To this I sniff an underlying wiff of discontent of the reemergence of a very big club in Essendon making a bold statement for a rosy future on the MCG.

Two things:

Once the club includes the banned players in any way like this, the banned players and the drug saga become central. There is no moving forward then.

Secondly, the HS has been an Essendon mouthpiece. Hard for the football public to tell the difference between an Essendon PR stunt, and a HS/Essendon PR stunt.

whether you like it or not, the banned players are our future. We can hardly look to a prosperous future without them
Many of them are not your future. You were looking at trading Bellchambers. Your captain will be how old next year? Hooker is an unrestricted FA and may walk. Stanton is at the end of his career. Ben Howlett and Tayte Pears are fringe players.

That's half of them........

:rolleyes:

I guess the point being that I wouldn't call him your future.
Depends on how you define 'future'. I'd think the club would hope he's back in 2017, as they would with Stanton and likely even Bellchambers. Of the 12, only Pears was comfortably outside best 22 calculations.

Your post above did have a lot of 'mays' attached, i.e. someone 'may' leave, etc.

Depends on how you define 'future'. I'd think the club would hope he's back in 2017, as they would with Stanton and likely even Bellchambers. Of the 12, only Pears was comfortably outside best 22 calculations.

Your post above did have a lot of 'mays' attached, i.e. someone 'may' leave, etc.
To be fair I think that most look at it like I do. For instance, I do not think Maric or Deledio are the future of Richmond, even though they are extremely important current players. Just in the same way those six players would not be recognised as the future of Essendon. But you are correct, it depends how each person defines "future".

To be fair I think that most look at it like I do. For instance, I do not think Maric or Deledio are the future of Richmond, even though they are extremely important current players. Just in the same way those six players would not be recognised as the future of Essendon. But you are correct, it depends how each person defines "future".
Of course, any club has to be careful about thinking of 'future' in too young a prism. That's what Melbourne did and it didn't exactly work. Balance is the key.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's brilliant you guys are sticking through the worst mess of any sporting team in Australia's history. No doubt.
Quite right, the fans should just stop attending games and tear up their memberships.

Essendon is a club that has been there since the year dot. People like Hird, Dank, Robinson and the 34 banned players are merely part of its history, and a very small part at that. True supporters never leave their club. Just like i wouldn't leave mine if there was a scandal there. To be fair to Woosha, he was not part of the saga and he deserves the full support of his members.
I would only expect crowds to drop off if they continually are getting a hiding but they'll be back next year.
More of a concern is the image the club portrays to the youth of today. Those who would have automatically have become don supporters now may not. I'm sure the club is aware of this but is unsure of the best way to go. Accept the penalty and admit guilt and quietly go about rebuilding or never accept it and maintain your innocence. They seem to have gone down the latter part to a degree. Whether that path is the best is yet to be seen. It certainly keeps them in the public eye but maybe not for the right reasons.

The Walk is supporter driven and whilst it's aim is to show solidarity and strength Of the club, it also serves to send its thoughts and ongoing support of the 12/34 players. I don't believe it's about condoning the verdict, rather showing support during a difficult time for them .

I guess this is how I see the March. Essendon needs to reinvigorate its supporters, or at least some of them who may have 'drifted away' from the club. I see this march as a fairly benign marketing tool aimed at its supporters. I'm pretty sure that, like other clubs, it will engage in other activities during the season that will seek to show it in a positive light to the wider football community like hospital visits etc. and the supporters probably want the march to simply send a message to the banned players that they have not been, and will not be forgotten.
I bloody wish the proper footy would start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back