Hogan worth

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=30427

For those of you that undervalue draft picks, or having a diverse approach to recruiting.

If we go all in on Hogan, especially after losing Neale, it will more than likely not work out.
We will still have a first round pick this year. That has been the club's strategy for awhile now, don't see it changing.

I just don't think Hogan is worth any more than Neale. Hogan's an injured player, who can be a great forward, but is still hyped up more than he's shown on field (like, he's good, but he's not the best forward of all time). And Neale will probably be leaving as our B&F winner, AA squad and leadership group.

If we get him we need to be playing him the way the Eagles use Kennedy. Prop it up into the space in front of him for him to lead into. Jonathan Brown has suggested a few times the one thing that catches a midfielder's eyes is movement. Watching the grand final, the eagles forward line are continually moving and dynamic. Each forward leads to different spaces. Hogan gets a lot of uncontested marks and if it's a scrum in the forward line with five blokes hanging off of his arm we've just flushed millions IMO. Park Tabs/Darcy in the goal square, Use McCrafty close to boundary and let Hogan utilise the spare space in the 50.

Melbourne thinks that May is the last piece of their puzzle. In some ways, Brisbane feel the same with Neale. Hence it’s justified for them to pay a little overs to get their player (Brisbane4+22, Melbourne with Hogan).

For us, we still have quite a lot of gaps to fill.
And Tabs with Cox have been ok. Not earth shattering good I know, but at least serviceable. I’ll live with it if we prioritize topping up the midfield and not overspend with Hogan.
Hogan is not going to be effective without someone to kick to him anyway.

I may be wrong here but i thought that was the sort of deal they were demanding But we told them to shove it!!

Yep. You are wrong.
GWS wouldn’t entertain a trade or even pick up the phone.

Freo offered progressively more (according to Cam’s manager) which equated to a late 1st round pick and a projected late first round pick the next year. Of course, we went belly up in 2016 and the late first round pick became Pick 3. But all Freo had to offer was two picks in the late teens (expected).

Melbourne thinks that May is the last piece of their puzzle. In some ways, Brisbane feel the same with Neale. Hence it’s justified for them to pay a little overs to get their player (Brisbane4+22, Melbourne with Hogan).

For us, we still have quite a lot of gaps to fill.
And Tabs with Cox have been ok. Not earth shattering good I know, but at least serviceable. I’ll live with it if we prioritize topping up the midfield and not overspend with Hogan.
Hogan is not going to be effective without someone to kick to him anyway.

people are gonna melt when we play three talls and Hogan and McCarthy are picked first with Tabs and Cox fighting for the third spot. :p

Honestly, its mindblowing that people on Trade Radio or here dont want Hogan. Ask Collingwood supporters if they would do the Treloar deal again. Look at the history of every draft and tell me a proven young KPF isnt worth picking up (not for 5 and 6). There are even comparisons to McCarthy and Kersten as being picked up as the next big hope. Never mind the fact one was literally free on points on one was 60 odd...

Proven, young KPF do not grow on tree's and draft picks will always be a gamble. At half way through the year Hogan was a lock for AA.

Get him in (for a reasonable price)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people are gonna melt when we play three talls and Hogan and McCarthy are picked first with Tabs and Cox fighting for the third spot. :p

You'd think we'd be playing two ruckmen if Sandilands and Darcy are both fit - so it might be a bit much to fit in that 3rd tall anyway.

I just don't think Hogan is worth any more than Neale. Hogan's an injured player, who can be a great forward, but is still hyped up more than he's shown on field (like, he's good, but he's not the best forward of all time). And Neale will probably be leaving as our B&F winner, AA squad and leadership group.
Midfielders can be replaced (and there needs to be quite a few of them), key forwards much less so. Just look at the current premiers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Can darcy and sandi coexist?

Last year Darcy was injured during pre-season. Sandilands could shoulder 90+% ruck time so you didn't really need much back up, but I think Darcy is still around 60-70% mark and needs a back up. Depends on how Darcy comes on this year after he has a full pre-season.

If we go with two rucks it affects the make up of the forward line, but I did think Taberner worked hard to become reasonably competent last year.

Take McCarthy out of it and trade him to Melbourne with pick 5 for Hogan with maybe a third rounder that we grubb up from somewhere. I'd have Tabs and Cox in before him.

I may be wrong here but i thought that was the sort of deal they were demanding But we told them to shove it!!

Yep that is how I remember it too. Often on here we get confused about these things and an impression becomes a fact so I may be wrong! I am pretty sure GWS would have taken 2 firsts for McCarthy if we had offered them up! Based on performances so far he hasn't really lived up to what we did end up paying but a Hulk Hogan in the forward half will probably see his best come out - if it is still in there.

Hogan would be the first KPF we’ve recruited since Pav that could play anywhere near the ability of Pav.

We recruited Pav nearly 20 years ago. We’ve been pretty poor since at getting a forward even half as good as him.

What would we pay to get 24 year old Pav back at the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hogan worth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back