Hogan worth

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't like it personally (assuming he passed the medical). Regardless of what side of the fence you sit on I think we can all agree 11 and 23 is just a piss-take and wouldn't get it done in a million years. If we're seriously about getting him (the years and years of talks, the medical, the club tour etc etc) you have to put up something in the realms of possibility if you want to avoid just being laughed at by the competition.

Still reckon there's a strong chance this is just an opening gambit but still doesn't sit that well with me imo.

As we know, Lachie is the leading possession-winner in the AFL over the last five years. This is where Jesse ranks in goalkicking over the past four years:

JJK: 274
Buddy: 258
Bruno: 226
Betts: 222
Hawkins: 212
Cameron: 207
Jenkins: 199
BBB: 197
Roughead: 197
Bruest: 186
Tex: 186
Gunston: 178
Tom Lynch: 173
Stringer: 152
Hogan: 152
Daniher: 150
LeCras: 147
Dixon: 146
Wingard: 137
Bruce: 128
Membrey: 125
Waite: 125
Sonny: 124
The other Tom Lynch: 121

In other words, his output has been somewhere in the range of Jake Stringer, Mark LeCras and Charlie Dixon. Yet Melbourne carries on as if he's this irreplaceable (yet perversely tradeable) freakish once-in-a-generation talent - he's averaged six goals a year more than Josh bloody Bruce. Shouldn't budge on pick 5 unless it's only pick 5, and even then...

Last edited:

It seems no-one else is bashing down the door for Jesse.
He and the Dees may have an awkward make-up moment coming.
In a years time, the contract renewal may take on a very different feel, depends on the development of Weideman(?) who has played deep forward in Jesse's absence. Maybe the Dees will want to get games into him?

I'd like to see Hogan, Lobb and McCarthy together with Sonny, Ballaz and Fyfe forward, but not for more than anyone else would pay.

Deathly is Lobb's biggest fan. You are in for it.

All hail Lord Lobb!

Let me put it another way then. Hogan is far better than Taberner......

We had a chance here to set up our forwardline for the next 6-8 years.... given our excellent backline, we would only be a couple of mids away from competing again...

If this is a case of belly being pigheaded and hogan ends up at west coast next year, then this will be the worst trading decision we have ever made.... at least with the croad deal we got mcpharlin....

But, emotions are high, we may be playing games, or there may be extenuating circumstances.... I hope this comes out in the mix soon... until then... “I for one would like to welcome our new ant overlords”
#skyisfalling

I don't why but I feel a huge sense of relief that it has fallen over,dodged a bullet I reckon. Just get a good deal for Neale ,grab lobb and Langdon and head off to the draft and nab a top 10 draftee,like a King !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Melbourne were insistent on two 1st round picks, the price was too much. Would have meant trading Neale to get the other, maybe missing out on Lobb and having no picks until the mid 20s at least.

Much better if we convince Lachie to stay if we can, get Lobb and wait another year for Hogan to be out of contract.

Adelaide circling Brisbane to get pick 5 now and get ahead of Port Adelaide. Would imagine Brisbane will only proceed if Neale is not happening.

Let me put it another way then. Hogan is far better than Taberner......

We had a chance here to set up our forwardline for the next 6-8 years.... given our excellent backline, we would only be a couple of mids away from competing again...

If this is a case of belly being pigheaded and hogan ends up at west coast next year, then this will be the worst trading decision we have ever made.... at least with the croad deal we got mcpharlin....

But, emotions are high, we may be playing games, or there may be extenuating circumstances.... I hope this comes out in the mix soon... until then... “I for one would like to welcome our new ant overlords”
#skyisfalling
My post was firmly tongue in cheek. Having said that, I agree with you that Hogan > Lobb.

As always I am happy to wait and see the whole thing unfold. Going hard either way is basically Russian roulette.

I reckon 5 & 11 is pretty close to right for a fully fit Hogan. Freo know they are not getting fully fit Hogan. Melbourne's request meant Freo would take on all the risk and Freo are right to walk away if they feel the risk is too great. If Hogan comes out next year and plays an absolute blinder of a season he is still going to be worth two first rounders, if he sits the season out with continual injuries he will probably be worth a second round pick.

And that's how I see it. And if your team comes out and makes it more difficult next season by getting involved, so be it, but we'll still be in a better position if we're keen to get Hogan. Most likely we'll still have good cap space, we'll have better picks (WC will be top 4 you'd think, we'll likely be somewhere in the bottom 8).

Just don't panic people. We're right to ask unders - not because he's specifically worth it, but because we don't need him right now, it might actually be better not have him right now and he (or his management) haven't come out and even formally said he wants to come here. I just don't see why we should go all out to get him at this point.

Given Melbourne were insistent on two 1st round picks, the price was too much. Would have meant trading Neale to get the other, maybe missing out on Lobb and having no picks until the mid 20s at least.

Much better if we convince Lachie to stay if we can, get Lobb and wait another year for Hogan to be out of contract.

Adelaide circling Brisbane to get pick 5 now and get ahead of Port Adelaide. Would imagine Brisbane will only proceed if Neale is not happening.

Well trade radio revealed that Melbourne asked for 5 and 23.... to me that’s a fair deal... I just do not understanding we wouldn’t take that

Well trade radio revealed that Melbourne asked for 5 and 23.... to me that’s a fair deal... I just do not understanding we wouldn’t take that

Maybe its about value for picks. We've got in our sights Lobb, and though I don't rate him anywhere near a fit Hogan, he's more of a sure thing as we sit right now - both in terms of clearly wanting to come here, within our 'price range' and long term injury concerns.

Oh yeah, also we don't actually have 5. Perhaps its simply that Bell does not want the Hogan trade depending on that pick - and that's fair enough because it locks us in too early in the process.

Last edited:

Would love to see the club come out now and actually offer that very publicly in the media. If it gets it done, amazing. Otherwise at least we win back a bit of credibility.

Would love to see the club come out now and actually offer that very publicly in the media. If it gets it done, amazing. Otherwise at least we win back a bit of credibility.
You think we look like idiots now, we'll look even dumber if we publicly offer a pick we don't have. There is no guarantee we ever get 5 from Brisbane.

Why do we have to win back credibility? We don't have come out and say diddly squat - people don't know the ins and outs of it all, so any judgements of the situation are speculative.

Hogan is contracted to Melbourne by his choice. Hogan has not screamed he wants to come here, we have little obligation to him and even less to Melbourne (e.g. if the May deal depends on Hogan being ditched) and absolutely none to those nuffies who think we've lost credibility in this process.

Last edited:
Why do we have to win back credibility? We don't have come out and say diddly squat - people don't know the ins and outs of it all, so any judgements of the situation are speculative.

Hogan is contracted to Melbourne by his choice. Hogan has not screamed he wants to come here, we have no obligation to him and even less to Melbourne and absolutely none to those nuffies who think we've lost credibility in this process.

Considering we've just publicly exited discussions (despite literally 0 need to) obviously we want to play this out in the media a little. The offer puts Melbourne on the back foot, why not give it a go. As I said there's nothing to lose.

Maybe also Melb have seriously back-ended his contract, and in tyring to squeeze Lobb, Coanca and Hogan in we're struggling to make all the pieces fit? Anythng's plausible.

Our official statement contradicts that. Says 2 first round picks. Guess it just depends who you believe. I agree it's fair, just not sure it's true (plus we don't have 5 yet!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back