Toast Home game at last

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that interstate teams usually have 11 its unfair enough that Cook said he wants 8 we should be getting 11.. That is true equalisation

Except the GFC want a couple of games at the MCG because we have so many Melbourne based members

The fact that interstate teams usually have 11 its unfair enough that Cook said he wants 8 we should be getting 11.. That is true equalisation

Most interstate teams get 12 home games because of their showdowns and derby's. Our 7 home games in Geelong is a joke. My family and I have lived in Geelong all our lives and been long time members but we are all losing heart in the game that brings us all together.

6 weeks definitely seems like a lot, but the Freo final ultimately cost us an 8th Simonds game this year. There's always going to be some long stretches between home games when only 7 of them are spread across 23 rounds.

I think Cook has said we're getting 8 home games from next year. Might mean that the AFL begin shifting games vs. Richmond/Carlton back to KP again with neither side being any good at this point in time.

6 weeks definitely seems like a lot, but the Freo final ultimately cost us an 8th Simonds game this year. There's always going to be some long stretches between home games when only 7 of them are spread across 23 rounds.

I think Cook has said we're getting 8 home games from next year. Might mean that the AFL begin shifting games vs. Richmond/Carlton back to KP again with neither side being any good at this point in time.

Why did it cost us an extra game when it was actually the AFL who insisted the game be played in Geelong, due to their own scheduling stuff up caused by so many Vic-based teams playing home finals?

Riiiggghhht!! Thanks....
Thought it might be something in which the hands of both Geelong and the AFL were tied. Any idea when the AFL contract runs out there? Must not have too many more years left.

Dont quote me its something like 2025. Heard Wilson talking today that the AFL are not too happy with the up keep. Perhaps that may change. They would buy it earlier if they could come up with a do able price

Dont quote me its something like 2025. Heard Wilson talking today that the AFL are not too happy with the up keep. Perhaps that may change. They would buy it earlier if they could come up with a do able price

Thought the deal was up in 2020 from memory. Happy to be corrected… But also read that the AFL want to take over ownership as soon as possible. Early buy out with have greater cost obviously...

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is an odd one,we've played more interstate games this year than games at Simonds Stadium

Sounds about right. We are Geelong, the team not allowed to play at home…

Go Catters

Why did it cost us an extra game when it was actually the AFL who insisted the game be played in Geelong, due to their own scheduling stuff up caused by so many Vic-based teams playing home finals?

Why should we give up a home game because we had a final that we deserved to get. When the AFL's love child (Gold Coast) get a home final at a ground that only holds 25000 will they have to give up a home game?

Why should we give up a home game because we had a final that we deserved to get. When the AFL's love child (Gold Coast) get a home final at a ground that only holds 25000 will they have to give up a home game?
reply above from Turbocat said it was something to do with the AFL contract with Etihad. I do recall there being a contract with the amount of games to be played there each year - don't know why the AFL can't schedule another club's games there instead, though :( It's all planned to the n'th degree, though- probably weren't any spare games to pull from anywhere else, unfortunately.
I'm sure most of us agree with you that the Cats shouldn't have to lose a home game because of 2013, though.

The AFL are required to compensate Etihad with an additional 3 games whenever they miss out on a final. As Simonds 'took' one away from them last year, I guess we just had to cop the pointy end of the stick.

However, the minimum requirement for games at Etihad drops by 5 from next year. I don't see any reason why we won't receive the extra home game with that in mind.

Sounds about right. We are Geelong, the team not allowed to play at home…

Go Catters

But it's such an advantage that we play on the ground we train on, even if we play there for less than a third of the season. :rolleyes:

The AFL are required to compensate Etihad with an additional 3 games whenever they miss out on a final. As Simonds 'took' one away from them last year, I guess we just had to cop the pointy end of the stick.

However, the minimum requirement for games at Etihad drops by 5 from next year. I don't see any reason why we won't receive the extra home game with that in mind.
I couldn't figure it out because I thought we had to go to Simonds because of Etihad already having a final playing at the time that we needed to schedule our game- it was all to do with too many Vic clubs needing a home final, plus the scheduling around those finals (so no team was disadvantaged, having to play a game too much later than their possible opponent).
I hadn't realised the AFL had to pay back 3 games! Why not just the one game with a sellout crowd? (the AFL knows which they would be!)

But it's such an advantage that we play on the ground we train on, even if we play there for less than a third of the season. :rolleyes:
People just mad cos we play shit teams there and none of the big 4.

Yet if the big 4 come down, then they whinge about not getting tickets.

I don't mind that we play Hawks, Pies, Dons, and Blues at the MCG for home games. The club gets a good pay day and the players get to play big games on the ground they ultimately need to perform on to win a flag. What gets to me are the home games at Etihad, they should get rid of them completely.
In a perfect world I'd be happy playing 3 home games at the MCG and the remaining 9 at KP.

Oh well, at least we play at home next week. Hang on, we have a home game but play Carlton on their home ground. Good one AFL whats next, play a home game against Richmond at the MCG. Hang on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Home game at last

Remove this Banner Ad

Back