Honanmr11's First Ever Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we get 2 KPP's and a mid in our first 3 picks, even if we do try and recruit Dawson.

You say you think we lack midfield depth, but in reality it isn't too bad. I would prefer an inside mid, Greene or Adams around the same draft pick in your mock, someone who can go in really hard and win the ball, and get it out to Barlow, to Hill, to Pavlich, to man in white with 2 fingers pointing in the air. Either in or out there are quite a few to like around our cluster of 3 picks before pick 30.

Strategically I could see us pulling the pin on 2 KPP's first up (Kersten/ Frost/ McInness, then Bosely/ Lockyer/ Talia), knowing that someone like Nelson or Grigg should be available at 29. Of course if someone outstanding slides to one of those selections keep an eye out for it, but the timing of our first 3 picks is beautiful in terms of needs and best available at this stage.

Carlton have no good key fwds?

This is a fair call. Hampson looks to have found a role down back, who along with Watson will be able to hold things down.

Waite is good when he's on the park and he certainly looks better when he has someone else up forward with him. Kruezer might be the answer, but it's too early to make the call if he can be a ruckman come forward. Tough ask.

Delisting Setanta would lead me to think (due to team balance) there is still a need for another tall forward/mobile forward. Or to look at it this way, if Waite gets injured I wouldn't like to be relying on Thorton and Walker.

Midfield is strong, backline looks to be coming together. I would say the thing to push Carlton into top 4 would be a forward line that functions better. Elements are there, but it hasn't really gelled yet.

Greene at 26? Please, he'd go 19 if available. Good effort
Well, I think because GWS are targetting talls, a midfielder will slide. Greene doesn't have great athletic quailities, so I think he might be the one to slide. I think the Bombers will go for Adams at pick 19 because he's got better athletic qualities and has much bigger upside I think.

Well, I think because GWS are targetting talls, a midfielder will slide. Greene doesn't have great athletic quailities, so I think he might be the one to slide. I think the Bombers will go for Adams at pick 19 because he's got better athletic qualities and has much bigger upside I think.
Fair call- I'd be stoked if we got either of them tbh, both suit our needs beautifully

Much as I rate both Grigg and Nelson and both would be very good gets in the 30's, with several of our retirements being talls and some of the other talls on our list being over 30, there's little to no chance that one of our first two picks won't be a tall.

Docherty's also not going to get past about 20 I don't think.

Enjoyed the read though, thanks for your efforts.

Also, would rather Waldhunter, Grigg, Nelson or Docherty at 31, but a good effort nonetheless. I would really like Waldhunter at 31

Also, would rather Waldhunter, Grigg, Nelson or Docherty at 31, but a good effort nonetheless. I would really like Waldhunter at 31
Essendon has their midfield well and truly covered. They have Melksham, Howlett, Colyer, Zaharakis and Heppell for the future and you throw in Adams on top of that and it looks like a pretty complete midfield. They really don't need another midfielder. They might go for Docherty but they already have Myers and Hardinghamina defence that looks strong. The only thing that is missing is the replacement for Dustin Fletcher, and Lockyer looks to be a good replacement.

Every fphantom draft has forster going to the crows. Why is this?

Forster might not make it to the Crows at pick 27, but if he does the Crows will snap him up. Johncock doesn't have long to go and Forster seems like a good replacement. His versatility is also an excellent asset.

Much as I rate both Grigg and Nelson and both would be very good gets in the 30's, with several of our retirements being talls and some of the other talls on our list being over 30, there's little to no chance that one of our first two picks won't be a tall.

Docherty's also not going to get past about 20 I don't think.

Enjoyed the read though, thanks for your efforts.

You make a good point there, but I feel like Geelong don't want to miss out on the opportunity to get two deserving first round players. Podsiadily doesn't have long to go, but Mitchell Brown will be a good replacement and will form a good combination with Hawkins. Scarlett doesn't have long to go either but Tom Gillies should be a good replacement.

Essendon has their midfield well and truly covered. They have Melksham, Howlett, Colyer, Zaharakis and Heppell for the future and you throw in Adams on top of that and it looks like a pretty complete midfield. They really don't need another midfielder. They might go for Docherty but they already have Myers and Hardinghamina defence that looks strong. The only thing that is missing is the replacement for Dustin Fletcher, and Lockyer looks to be a good replacement.

don't know much about football? Hird has come out publicly and stated we will be after midfielders in the draft..

Yes we may have Zaka, Howlett, Coluer but we also have Lonergan, Myers that need to be pushed out of the side.

don't know much about football? Hird has come out publicly and stated we will be after midfielders in the draft..

Yes we may have Zaka, Howlett, Coluer but we also have Lonergan, Myers that need to be pushed out of the side.
Sorry, I mustn't have heard about that. And this is so everybody else knows, I might not have much time to update my draft as I have school exams coming up and I am stressing. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make a good point there, but I feel like Geelong don't want to miss out on the opportunity to get two deserving first round players. Podsiadily doesn't have long to go, but Mitchell Brown will be a good replacement and will form a good combination with Hawkins. Scarlett doesn't have long to go either but Tom Gillies should be a good replacement.

Fair point, and if there's two sliders of obvious quality then we may take them in preference to a tall, although I do think if it's near 50-50 our needs dictate talls, which was my original point.

Scarlett has said next year will be his last, Gillies could be a good replacement although that's not certain. Even if so Lonergan will be 28 next year so this is definitely the time for us to be drafting and developing another young key defender. Brown's likely to be a fair way off (i.e. he'll take a lot of time to develop) and the number of serious injuries he's had, for sure he can play but I doubt the club will bet the house on his body holding up and they'll want to get another key forward in.

With most draft watchers seeming to say the draft drops off after 30-40, it would make sense for us to target talls early as they are our greatest needs, and pick up more mids etc later.

Fair point, and if there's two sliders of obvious quality then we may take them in preference to a tall, although I do think if it's near 50-50 our needs dictate talls, which was my original point.

Scarlett has said next year will be his last, Gillies could be a good replacement although that's not certain. Even if so Lonergan will be 28 next year so this is definitely the time for us to be drafting and developing another young key defender. Brown's likely to be a fair way off (i.e. he'll take a lot of time to develop) and the number of serious injuries he's had, for sure he can play but I doubt the club will bet the house on his body holding up and they'll want to get another key forward in.

With most draft watchers seeming to say the draft drops off after 30-40, it would make sense for us to target talls early as they are our greatest needs, and pick up more mids etc later.

Ok, Geelong probably do need some more tall players, but most of the good talls are gone, and the quality is not so great at their picks. If I was Geelong, I would go for the two talented players, and then bank on picking up some good talls next draft where the depth will probably better in that draft and they won't have GWS hogging all the picks. That way they pick up a couple of better talented players and don't miss out on the opportunity to pick up Grigg and Nelson.

Gee I really love this draft for Richmond. Kavanagh and Greene would be a dream result and it also looks like Adams would still be on the board at 15.

Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, Foley, Conca, Kavanagh, Greene would complete our midfield assuming greene and kavanagh come on.

Gee I really love this draft for Richmond. Kavanagh and Greene would be a dream result and it also looks like Adams would still be on the board at 15.

Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, Foley, Conca, Kavanagh, Greene would complete our midfield assuming greene and kavanagh come on.

Yeh, Kavanagh at 15 would be a no-brainer as he is a gem, and could easily go Top 6. In a normal draft he would probably go a lot higher, but because of his past injuries and GWS going for talls, he could slide a bit. Greene is an interesting one I feel. Some people have him going as high as Brisbane at pick 8, but I feel like a midfielder will slide. A lot of the talls that GWS are drafting wouldn't make the Top 20 normally, but because of their needs they will go for whichever tall they can get their hands on. That's why a midfielder will slide, and I suspect it might be Greene because he doesn't have huge upside and doesn't have great athletic qualities.

Sorry, I mustn't have heard about that. And this is so everybody else knows, I might not have much time to update my draft as I have school exams coming up and I am stressing. :(

Hey buddy, sorry for going a bit harsh on you, felt really bad about saying what I did, so yeah..

Sorry for going so harsh on you

Hey buddy, sorry for going a bit harsh on you, felt really bad about saying what I did, so yeah..

Sorry for going so harsh on you

Nah, don't worry about it mate, it's alright. I don't really pay attention to the press conferences and stuff so if I am wrong about something and a club has said they will go in with a particular strategy etc. please feel free to tell me.

HFF, I believe Hirdy also said we would target mids last draft - and we picked up mainly small defenders. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up two mids, but we'll probably go best availiable - with a bias towards mids.

HFF, I believe Hirdy also said we would target mids last draft - and we picked up mainly small defenders. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up two mids, but we'll probably go best availiable - with a bias towards mids.
Umm, Heppell was picked as a mid, Steinberg is a forward, Browne is a mid, Ross is a mid and Davis is a medium defender.

Carlisle is our replacement for Fletcher

Umm, Heppell was picked as a mid, Steinberg is a forward, Browne is a mid, Ross is a mid and Davis is a medium defender.

Carlisle is our replacement for Fletcher

Heppell and Browne have played back, and my point remains we didn't grab a heap of mids - despite Hirdy saying that would be the focus. Heppell will play in the midfield more next season, but he did play most of his debut year down back.

Love the Kersten and Boseley picks but agree with Gav that Sumner is the wrong type of mid for us, Adams or Greene would be perfect.

We need that inside leader/grunt type, we've recently drafted Hill, Morabito, Pitt as outside mids. We need somebody to get it to them.

Good job at the top end by going slightly different to others and realising that GWS are not likely to pick 9 mids in their first 14 picks and putting a few talls in there :thumbsu:

Do not agree totally with what you say about Greene, he may slide but their is nothing wrong with his athletic ability and has run on the ball all year for whoever he has played with and has had no problems doing it. Have seen him play a lot this year and the so called lack of athletic ability is a myth !
Lets face it, what do you need to be a good mid ?
Clean at ground level - tick
Good quick hands - tick
15 plus beep - tick
Cool under pressure - tick
good disposal - tick.
The biggest knock i have on him is the fact his kicking is only really short range and not overly strong over a distance.

Heppell and Browne have played back, and my point remains we didn't grab a heap of mids - despite Hirdy saying that would be the focus. Heppell will play in the midfield more next season, but he did play most of his debut year down back.

Both Heppell and Browne had no problems playing midfield in the TAC Cup. Heppel was sensational in the middle for Gippsland in the last half of the season and the finals including a couple of games where he carried the side over the line on his back.
You will find that he will move into the middle in the same way as Zaka has moved from half forward to the middle this year.

We did draft mids in last years draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Honanmr11's First Ever Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back