Hooker needs a spell in the vfl.

Remove this Banner Ad

He tried very, very hard to win the footy. Unfortunately with the more seasoned bodied players from the Bulldogs, the physical sense of the game took a toll on the man. Tried ultra hard last night, can't say I can say that for all the players that were out there. May need a rest, but lets not knock him too much.

have to agree, and hate to say it he is reminding me a old kepler the way he moves...

You can't be serious Franky.

His intensity alone separates him from Kepler; Kepler has & has had zero urgency for his entire career.

you have to remember that hooker is not a ruckmen, he is 196cm so shorter then pretty much all the ruckmen he is up against and would weigh a hell of a lot less. he played very well in defence earlier in the year and that is his position.

If he is to come out bellchambers is to come in so you have to look at who will provide more. bellchambers doesnt offer much around the ground at all and when he is not rucking pretty much can only be on the bench. he would gain about 10 hit outs per much on the best of days more then hooker but most owuldnt be to advantage.

so can i ask what more he will offer in comparison to hooker? possibly more competition in the hit outs but thats about it he most likely wont win any decent taps to advantage anyway.

you have to remember that hooker is not a ruckmen, he is 196cm so shorter then pretty much all the ruckmen he is up against and would weigh a hell of a lot less. he played very well in defence earlier in the year and that is his position.

If he is to come out bellchambers is to come in so you have to look at who will provide more. bellchambers doesnt offer much around the ground at all and when he is not rucking pretty much can only be on the bench. he would gain about 10 hit outs per much on the best of days more then hooker but most owuldnt be to advantage.

so can i ask what more he will offer in comparison to hooker? possibly more competition in the hit outs but thats about it he most likely wont win any decent taps to advantage anyway.

Yep this is it in a nutshell. IMO he didnt ruck too badly last night for a guy who isnt even a part time ruckman and he gives the coaching staff flexibility in other positions. It would be harsh to drop him from underperforming in the ruck since he has been filling a void but if he is to be a ruckman for the rest of the year then fair enough. He'd cop it and work harder rather than drop his head and sulk.

I don't really like having Hooker in the ruck but I think he's a better overall player than Bellchambers. Bellchambers rucks and that's pretty much all he does. I'm sort of thinking that we could have Gumbleton helping out in ruck if he comes back soon, but with his injury history that sounds too risky.
How do others feel about that idea?

Yep this is it in a nutshell. IMO he didnt ruck too badly last night for a guy who isnt even a part time ruckman and he gives the coaching staff flexibility in other positions. It would be harsh to drop him from underperforming in the ruck since he has been filling a void but if he is to be a ruckman for the rest of the year then fair enough. He'd cop it and work harder rather than drop his head and sulk.
deserves his spot more than davey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hooker has been sacrificed by the coaching staff.

It is next to impossible to be a second ruckman and key back at the same time.

I mentioned this after Ryder played in the ruck and key back in Round 1.

When will the coaching staff learn.

Who did Geelong play in the second ruck today Hawkins- Where does he play - forward and back.

Leigh Brown at Collingwood plays second ruck and forward.

speaking like someone who only watches essendon games on the tv.

anyone who actually watches davey knows his defensive pressure is as good as anyones in the competition, davey could have 2 possessions and screw up both and still provide a lot of value to the side

You are kidding me. If its defensive pressure you want i have a jack russell that would be as good as davey. He is giving us no value at all

You are kidding me. If its defensive pressure you want i have a jack russell that would be as good as davey. He is giving us no value at all

Yep no value at all. Well done you score a 3/10 for footy knowledge.
He was not great on Friday night but a lot of weeks he has been kicking goals and making tackles. It is also not only the tackles he sticks but have a look at how many tunrovers he creates most weeks by having his pressure and pace at half forward.
Most weeks the pressure he puts on with his speed and chase gives us two or three turnovers from opposition disposal under pressure.

If you think is 5 or 6 tackles a game plus the pressure he put on with his chase gives us nothing then you have not read the game all that well.
None of our other forwards average more than 2 tackles per game and none possess the speed to create pressure and turnovers.

Sure it would be great if he had cleaner hands and the skills of Rioli but he doesnt and that does not say that he is adding nothing to the side becasue he does.
Maybe you should ask your Jack Russel to give you a class in football 101...:D

I will admit though it would be good if Davey could do more than tackle. He's great at chasing and tackling but when he has the ball I have no idea what will happen.

Yep no value at all. Well done you score a 3/10 for footy knowledge.
He was not great on Friday night but a lot of weeks he has been kicking goals and making tackles. It is also not only the tackles he sticks but have a look at how many tunrovers he creates most weeks by having his pressure and pace at half forward.
Most weeks the pressure he puts on with his speed and chase gives us two or three turnovers from opposition disposal under pressure.

If you think is 5 or 6 tackles a game plus the pressure he put on with his chase gives us nothing then you have not read the game all that well.
None of our other forwards average more than 2 tackles per game and none possess the speed to create pressure and turnovers.

Sure it would be great if he had cleaner hands and the skills of Rioli but he doesnt and that does not say that he is adding nothing to the side becasue he does.
Maybe you should ask your Jack Russel to give you a class in football 101...:D

Take a closer look Ant. 5 or 6 tackles? The only effective tackles are when he unexpectedly comes from behind, and those are very rare, maybe 5 or 6 this year. When he tackles front on he is easily shrugged off. Everyone cheers and gets excited when Davey nearly catches someone. Big bloody deal. He drops so many marks its not funny. Modern football is a package. His stats and defensive capabilities would be acceptable if he was a full back or back pocket stopper but as a forward flanker they are not. Forgive me for not accepting his fumbling hands and sloppy disposal for the sake of a couple of tackles.

Take a closer look Ant. 5 or 6 tackles? The only effective tackles are when he unexpectedly comes from behind, and those are very rare, maybe 5 or 6 this year. When he tackles front on he is easily shrugged off. Everyone cheers and gets excited when Davey nearly catches someone. Big bloody deal. He drops so many marks its not funny. Modern football is a package. His stats and defensive capabilities would be acceptable if he was a full back or back pocket stopper but as a forward flanker they are not. Forgive me for not accepting his fumbling hands and sloppy disposal for the sake of a couple of tackles.

Yawn... he has 69 tackles this year, 31st in the competition. Best from Essendon being Ryder with 78.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2009&rt=LT&st=TA

Yawn... he has 69 tackles this year, 31st in the competition. Best from Essendon being Ryder with 78.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2009&rt=LT&st=TA

Read the post. Effective tackles. Champion data is very loose on giving a tackle, you can be the third player from the same team to join a group tackle and they award you one. You are also awarded a tackle when your opponent lifts his arms and handballs to a teammate. Fantastic.
Even Ant mentioned he was not great on Friday night yet he made 6 tackles.

Read the post. Effective tackles. Champion data is very loose on giving a tackle, you can be the third player from the same team to join a group tackle and they award you one. You are also awarded a tackle when your opponent lifts his arms and handballs to a teammate. Fantastic.

I disagree.

You have to remember he is coming off a knee reco as well, admittedly he has not yet fully recaptured his 07 form. But he is a lock just on the hope that he one day will.

[YOUTUBE]W-DsNnCAGUk[/YOUTUBE]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hooker needs a spell in the vfl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back