Hooker needs a spell in the vfl.

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree.

You have to remember he is coming off a knee reco as well, admittedly he has not yet fully recaptured his 07 form. But he is a lock just on the hope that he one day will.

[youtube]W-DsNnCAGUk[/youtube]
I can't believe you've pulled out footage from over 2 years ago to back up your argument. We're talking about 2009 not 2007. I hope he recaptures that form too but so far this year he hasn't. Yes it may be the knee but his touch and ball handling just isn't there. All i'm suggesting is a spell at Bendigo until his skill and possession count improve.

I can't believe you've pulled out footage from over 2 years ago to back up your argument. We're talking about 2009 not 2007. I hope he recaptures that form too but so far this year he hasn't. Yes it may be the knee but his touch and ball handling just isn't there. All i'm suggesting is a spell at Bendigo until his skill and possession count improve.

Going into a match, with Davey named in the forward pocket is enough to worry a team, let alone match day. Yes is he a bit scratchy, but the forward pressure he offers and the prescience he brings to the side is irreplaceable.

If we put him in Bendigo as a FP it will stagnate his developement. Anyway, who would you rather play his role in the side? Who deserves his spot more than him?

I agree on him being poor for 95% of the season.

I'd say that of our starting 22 he's been the worst performed over the year. Guys like Hocking, Dyson, Lonergan have all performed at a better standard.

His fumbling, staging and disposal are nowhere near good enough at the moment.

Needs to seriously pull his finger out. I can't wear the knee excuse anymore.

Champion data is very loose on giving a tackle, you can be the third player from the same team to join a group tackle and they award you one.

Not sure what planet you're on DM. I used to be a DT addict, would watch most footy games each week and a fair few tackles aren't counted let me tell you. They're actually pretty tight with regards to awarding tackles to players.

I agree on him being poor for 95% of the season.

I'd say that of our starting 22 he's been the worst performed over the year. Guys like Hocking, Dyson, Lonergan have all performed at a better standard.

His fumbling, staging and disposal are nowhere near good enough at the moment.

Needs to seriously pull his finger out. I can't wear the knee excuse anymore.

I'd say his fumbling's at quite a high standard at the moment.

but yeah, definitely needs to lift with basic skills there's no point being a freak runner and tackler if you can't even mark a ball

I'd say that of our starting 22 he's been the worst performed over the year.

Somebody shoot me.

96c32738.gif

Take a closer look Ant. 5 or 6 tackles? The only effective tackles are when he unexpectedly comes from behind, and those are very rare, maybe 5 or 6 this year. When he tackles front on he is easily shrugged off. Everyone cheers and gets excited when Davey nearly catches someone. Big bloody deal. He drops so many marks its not funny. Modern football is a package. His stats and defensive capabilities would be acceptable if he was a full back or back pocket stopper but as a forward flanker they are not. Forgive me for not accepting his fumbling hands and sloppy disposal for the sake of a couple of tackles.

I will ask you this. Should our coaching staff have him set up as a leading forward ? Or should it be that the set up reflects what he is good at.

Secondly the stats dont lie. He averages 4.2 tackles a game so dont crap on about him only having 5 or 6 good tackles per year when he runs someone down.

If you dont see his value it is not my problem. Maybe you like defenders screaming out of our defence all day with little pressure on them.
In a team that is not great at racking up defensive stats i think he earns his spot.
Anyway don't just give the problem. Put forward a decent viabale alternative to how the forward set up should work without him and how it would be better.

Read the post. Effective tackles. Champion data is very loose on giving a tackle, you can be the third player from the same team to join a group tackle and they award you one. You are also awarded a tackle when your opponent lifts his arms and handballs to a teammate. Fantastic.
Even Ant mentioned he was not great on Friday night yet he made 6 tackles.

Actually you are wrong about champion data being very loose at counting tackles. They also do the TAC under stats and i can tell you that i have watched a number of TAC replays and thought they where very harsh in how the recorded the tackle stats.

But hey why not manipulate the way the stats are recorded to suite your argument :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say his fumbling's at quite a high standard at the moment.

but yeah, definitely needs to lift with basic skills there's no point being a freak runner and tackler if you can't even mark a ball

That says more about our forward structure and the way we use players rather than Daveys game.

I will ask you this. Should our coaching staff have him set up as a leading forward ? Or should it be that the set up reflects what he is good at.

Secondly the stats dont lie. He averages 4.2 tackles a game so dont crap on about him only having 5 or 6 good tackles per year when he runs someone down.

If you dont see his value it is not my problem. Maybe you like defenders screaming out of our defence all day with little pressure on them.
In a team that is not great at racking up defensive stats i think he earns his spot.
Anyway don't just give the problem. Put forward a decent viabale alternative to how the forward set up should work without him and how it would be better.

At the moment i don't think he is playing well enough in all facets of the game. Even you said he wasn't good on Friday night but he still had his 6 tackles. So obviously the defensive pressure of his 6 tackles wasn't good enough in your eyes to elevate his game to anything above "not good".
Our forward set up should remain quite similar, Skipworth or Zaharakis could slip into that forward flank role quite easily and offer us more than Davey has been giving us lately. Everyone is overreacting as if a delisting is being suggested. I'd just like to see him play on ball for a week or two at bendigo to regain some touch then bring him back.

He doesn't seem to have a set position at this stage, cant fault him on his intensity and willingness to go at the contest, he just seems a little awkward at times and tends to make mistakes which cause turn overs. I think he'll be a good prospect going foward perhaps to take the taller forwards once he bulks up a bit (i.e, J Brown & Co.).

I think a rest in the two's for couple of weeks will do him good, or maybe try him up forward??

At the moment i don't think he is playing well enough in all facets of the game. Even you said he wasn't good on Friday night but he still had his 6 tackles. So obviously the defensive pressure of his 6 tackles wasn't good enough in your eyes to elevate his game to anything above "not good".
Our forward set up should remain quite similar, Skipworth or Zaharakis could slip into that forward flank role quite easily and offer us more than Davey has been giving us lately. Everyone is overreacting as if a delisting is being suggested. I'd just like to see him play on ball for a week or two at bendigo to regain some touch then bring him back.
Really doubt that, you obviously don't realise how important davey is to the team. Davey creates opportunities that these 2 can't, when a defender sees him on his tail it creates turnovers. A defender is going to be alot more worried about davey lurking around over Zaharakis and skippy.

Time to stick with a proper structure and have 2 genuine ruckman. It might give us an opportunity to rest Ryder a bit more and we need to develop another ruck option.

Hooker has to compete with Hurley, Pears and Fletcher for a spot in defence.

Hurley's form over the past 2 weeks and stature means he's now in front of Cale.

Back to the reserves and we'll see ya next year Cale after another preseason.

People also have to realise that most teams have a small forward who has pressure on the oppositions defenders, so at the moment, who would you prefer, Alwyn Davey who is actually doing something in the seniors, or our next best option as a small forward in Leroy Jetta?

Hooker probably just needs a spell to freshen up a bit. For a young guy he has taken a hammering against bigger bodies so is probably starting to feel it a bit.

I think he is still a very important player and add's alot of flexibility to the side and after a breif rest should come straight back in.

Leave him, if he is fine, then leave him, a run against some rookies may be a good thing for him, as Vickery and Graham/Pattison arent exactly household ruckmen in the AFL.

As for Bellchambers, we could bring him in and get some more experience into the kid, as mentioned, the Tigers rucks arent that great, so play the kid against the ther kids, could be a possibility?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hooker needs a spell in the vfl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back