Hostage Situation - Martin Place, Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

That fiona smiled a lot. Quite a cutie too. Held her nerve for all of it then decided to bolt at just the right time. You cant blame any of the escapees for doing what they did. They all have families and friends to think of.

Channel 7's special tonight was dominated by Marcias story, which i guess is fair enough since she was there right til the end. Channel 9's was good in that they brought a lot of the surivors together.

Did anyone else pick up on one massive difference in story between Marcia on channel 7, and the old duck on Channel 9? Marcia said that on Tori Johnsons execution, that no words were said at all. She said that Man Monis didnt instruct Tori to kneel before killing him. She said that he fumbled around a bit reloading his shot gun, and then just blew him away. The old duck on channel 9 reckons that Man Monis told Tori Johnson to kneel on the floor before pulling the trigger. May not seem like much of a difference to some, but the stories are quite conflicting...

They have special units that deal with these situations. Police were fine and did a great job but the army could have saved the two or at least 1 of them.

This keeps coming up and it is just nonsense. The special units from the cops have military grade equipment anyway, and are trained for hostage situations which the army are not.

If you wanted to level the building then sure go for the army.

This keeps coming up and it is just nonsense. The special units from the cops have military grade equipment anyway, and are trained for hostage situations which the army are not.

If you wanted to level the building then sure go for the army.

Maybe but I wish they wouldn't pussyfoot around the question so to speak. If I was there, I'd be wondering why on earth the army wasn't there. That hostage has every right to question it, and I'm glad she did. Might force them to either change the protocols in the future, or answer the question about the army. All they have said is 'blah blah the police did a wonderful job'. Yes they did an 'okay job', but could the army and the specilised teams which are paid with our taxes more equipped? I don't know the answer, but it would be nice if they were up front. Stop the BS and answer the pretty simple question.

Did anyone else pick up on one massive difference in story between Marcia on channel 7, and the old duck on Channel 9? Marcia said that on Tori Johnsons execution, that no words were said at all. She said that Man Monis didnt instruct Tori to kneel before killing him. She said that he fumbled around a bit reloading his shot gun, and then just blew him away. The old duck on channel 9 reckons that Man Monis told Tori Johnson to kneel on the floor before pulling the trigger. May not seem like much of a difference to some, but the stories are quite conflicting...

Seemed like Marcia didn't know, she didn't think he was made to kneel. Not that big a deal. Hard to remember absolutely everything, and it isn't something you want to remember.

Have to say I thought they would be so tacky but both programs were done extremely well and respectful.

Police train for hostage situations. They did a superb job too.

The army vs. police debate is ludicrous and shouldn't be given any momentum. It's like saying that Brock Lesnar should have been in the cafe instead of one of the hostages. It's just stupid to bring it up.

#StandByShieldGuy

Police train for hostage situations. They did a superb job too.

The army vs. police debate is ludicrous and shouldn't be given any momentum. It's like saying that Brock Lesnar should have been in the cafe instead of one of the hostages. It's just stupid to bring it up.

#StandByShieldGuy

They did an okay job, not sure Katrina Dawson's family is as 'gloating' about the job they did though. They were pretty good, but I do feel they should answer the question. Could the army have prevented at least that one death, that is the question. I don't know the answer, the relevant authorities will know the answer though.

They did an okay job, not sure Katrina Dawson's family is as 'gloating' about the job they did though. They were pretty good, but I do feel they should answer the question. Could the army have prevented at least that one death, that is the question. I don't know the answer, the relevant authorities will know the answer though.
Could they? Maybe but then they could have risked the death of someone else.

It was a tactical operation. Going in guns blazing with nobody inside expecting it would have ended in disaster. With Tori being executed, it provided the appropriate course of action for all involved; police move in form multiple angles and hostages take as much safety as possible. With the amount of bullets flying around, it's impressive there weren't more casualties. They did a superb job.

Could they? Maybe but then they could have risked the death of someone else.

It was a tactical operation. Going in guns blazing with nobody inside expecting it would have ended in disaster. With Tori being executed, it provided the appropriate course of action for all involved; police move in form multiple angles and hostages take as much safety as possible. With the amount of bullets flying around, it's impressive there weren't more casualties. They did a superb job.

Any situation where extra innocent lives are lost is not a 'superb job', it is a 'good or decent job'. I know what you are saying, and they did a very good job. However I wouldn't be calling it a raging success so to speak. Did they have the right gun? Could that have saved Katrina? Could the army have been better? Honestly I don't know. What I do know is that the public deserves to know. If you aren't using the army in these situation, what are our tax dollars going towards again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

males escaping and leaving females in there i dont agree with but i guess that is a sign of the times.
It's all well and good for us to sit behind our computer screens and judge their decisions but it is highly unlikely any of us will ever be in a position they were and thus making a call to escape or stay behind just because there are others would have been really hard. I doubt I would be thinking calmy in that situation and would probably just want to be home with my wife and kids, can't blame people for escaping.

Hard call as we don't know how we would react in the same situation.

I feel sorry for all the victims as it would be a horrific experience to go through.

I trust the police acted in the most appropriate manner given these are the circumstances they train for.

The police vs army debate really is ridiculous and I'll answer the question for you. The army could have saved everyone yes, but on another day the same police unit may have saved everyone and the army lost 4 people. This scumbag wasn't planning on getting out alive, hostage deaths were almost inevitable regardless of whether it was the police, army or bigfooty's finest trying to get them out.

ive only watched the ch.9 show so far. My question is where did the story about the hostages making a run for it when Monis fell asleep come from? Did the media just make that up?

Media assumption I'd say. It was assumed by the media he would have got drowsy as it got later in the evening which is a fair assumption to make. Obviously no one except the hostages knew the full blow by blow story of what happened then and it was purely an assumption. Got to think that those people escaped at just the right time but because it escalated mighty quickly once they ran. The beginning of the end somewhat.

I ended up watching the Channel 9 interview as my Channel 7 had a shocking signal but either way I was gripped and intrigued with the story from the beginning till the end. As outsiders we can comment/ assume what happened inside the walls of Lindt that fateful day and evening but until these people told there stories we really had no idea what happened and the bravery and maturity of some of these young Lindt workers in particular.

I know if I was still a teenager / early 20's like Fiona, Joel and Hoffman in that situation I wouldn't have been anywhere near that composed and forward thinking.

males escaping and leaving females in there i dont agree with but i guess that is a sign of the times.

its called equality. being equal means being equal. why the **** would anyone, volunteer to stay behind because there's "women" around?

your going to risk your life for stranger fair enough i think your an idiot, but its admirable. risking your life specifically because the stranger has a set of ovaries is possibly the 21st century's version of the old lie.

As a woman there's no way I'd expect a stranger to sacrifice his life for me, particularly considering that some of the men who escaped had children at home. Why do they owe me anything just because they have a penis and I don't?

Self-preservation surely kicks in during times of extreme stress like this, and that would override any feelings of chivalry.

no, thats just an excuse.

an excuse for what? your saying you would not have a problem with people escaping as long as their were no female hostages left behind.
clearly the issue isn't giving a **** about other people in general.

dude might have kids be elderly or sick, **** him.
but if they have a set of **** "oh its my duty to stay behind." what a load.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hostage Situation - Martin Place, Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back