Streaming House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel)

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

So I was just watching a random episode of GoT and the scene comes on where Joffrey is explaining to Margaery exactly what happens to Rhaenyra. As someone that hasn't read any of the books, it kind of ruins the whole show.....

I can understand if some people found that episode a little slow, but there were some important things revealed:
  1. Looking for bastards to be dragon riders. The only issue is that once it's known, the Greens will surely start as well and the most prominent one is in Kings Landing (although it seems it's actually two separate people, not one like I had originally thought).
  2. Daemon confirmed that he has no intention of supporting Rhaenyra's ascension to the throne, but is (poorly) raising an army for himself.
  3. That Corlys will have to legitimise his bastard to take on the mantle of being the heir of Driftmark. That feels significant.
And obviously, the fact that Aemond has moved in as the caretaker coach is big news too!

For me, where HOTD falls down compared to GOT is the richness of the character interactions. There are a lot of scenes where there is barely any chemistry (not necessarily sexually) between the two actors. It just seems like "I'll read my line, then you read your line".
Do the Greens have any spare dragons laying about? Or do you mean that any potential new dragon riders will start having mysterious accidents if the Greens get to them first?

Helaena has Dreamfyre. A big old dragon, formerly ridden by another Targaryen. But we've never seen her ride it in the show and she doesn't seem the type inclined to engage in warfare.

We also had mention earlier in the season of Prince Daeron, Aegon, Aemond and Helaneas younger brother who's dragon Tessarion is "nearing fighting size". We haven't seen either in the show yet. He's currently at Hightower with Otto's brother and the Hightower Army that is amassing there.

I said in an earlier post there may be a retired dragon at the Dragon Pit but I think that statement was wrong and therefore rhe Greens only have the current crop of Allicents four children who all have Dragons. (Well Sunfyre now 'long in the dying')

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was expecting Steffon Darklyn to be barbecued. You have to be good looking to ride a dragon. Seasmoke is like yeah nah, swipe left.

I'm not loving Daemon twiddling his thumbs at Harrenhal for four episodes. It's like having Dustin Martin on your bench and not playing him.

And get Otto back in time for the finals.

I'm not loving Daemon twiddling his thumbs at Harrenhal for four episodes. It's like having Dustin Martin on your bench and not playing him.

Overall it's stalling a little but especially Daemon now. Time to move the story along because that was a fairly low key episode for everyone.

Also..

I hope that kiss was referenced in the books somewhere because I'd like to think they didn't just put that in there for the hell of it.

Yeah just watched last two eps back to back and seriously they could’ve combined that into one ep. Ep 5 was very much a filler. Most enjoyable part last two row was return of Considine … best actor in the show. Rhaenyra complaints about the council is dragging as is Daemon story. If the kiss is not in the books then they’re starting to take the piss.

I also find the whole Mysaria story hard to believe ..first that she seems such a master spy and second the actress is a poor actress.

My daughter who’s read the book doesn’t give away much but did say some big battle come ..get that but timing/rhythm seems off and ratings are dropping a little alarmingly.

I was expecting Steffon Darklyn to be barbecued. You have to be good looking to ride a dragon. Seasmoke is like yeah nah, swipe left.

And get Otto back in time for the finals.
We went seasons with big players in GoT sat on the sidelines, it's clearly building out deeper plots and side stories which is fine. Love some world building. Also nice getting the old actors back.

Overall it's stalling a little but especially Daemon now. Time to move the story along because that was a fairly low key episode for everyone.

Also..

I hope that kiss was referenced in the books somewhere because I'd like to think they didn't just put that in there for the hell of it.
One of the 'historians' referenced in the book is 'Mushroom' a dwarf jester who's accounts are generally salacious and scandalous accounts of everything that happens, I can't recall specifically if he ever says anything about Rhaneyra and Mysaria, nothing springs to mind but it is the kind of thing Mushroom would say.

They're definitely smashing the 'girl boss' perspective very very hard. I've love the show and the characters but it will be interesting to see how they land the end of the show

Major Book Spoiler Below

Rhaneyra in the books gets more and more paranoid and cruel over time, she orders Daemon killed as she believes he is cheating on her with a character who doesn't appear to be in the show, she is called 'Maegor with Teats' by the small folk and tortures Allicent for weeks, including allowing her guard to have their way with her. It would seem at this stage they are completely whitewashing her story and making her way less complicit in any wrong doing by the 'Blacks' side. I can't see them turning her evil at this point.

Instant improvement with Aemond as the new king. Those scenes felt much more like the GoT of old. He has so much more presence than the other guy, which is kinda the point I guess.

I'm finding the Daemon dream sequences really boring though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Streaming House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back