HOW CAFF GOT COTCH

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, figured I would give this its own thread as it's big news, here's an article that's on the front of the AFL website:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-12/caff-puts-cuffs-on-cotch

Brent McCaffer only gave away 3 free kicks and still managed to rack up 9 disposals meanwhile Cotchin got 13 disposals. Now, for serious time, is this really such a huge victory? Cotchin was getting scragged all night and while McCaffer did a good job I've noticed the commentators and journo's talking him up as almost as good as Crowley and I just wanted to see if anyone else thought this was a big leap. Crowley gets touches himself and has an impact on the game other than just his tagging role, I can't really say the same for McCaffer in his first few games this year.

Also, other taggers in the game have done shut down jobs to the same degree as McCaffer and never seemed to get any attention (Clint Jones did it for a few years) so why now the McCaffer hype for a role that has never been considered noteworthy?
Uhh no.

Cotchin's hit on/blow up at Clint Young was one of the funniest/most pathetic things I've seen from a supposed "leader" on the footy field in a long time. For Caff to frustrate him into doing something like that was reward enough.

That being said, how is what Caff was doing (tactically, not in terms of actual effectiveness) any different to what every defender in the league does every single week? If they put the camera on one-on-one match-ups inside 50 as often as they do the midfield ones, people would see it's as common as day.

Geez taggers get a bum rap I reckon. What do you do if the opposition has a gun forward? You put a defender on him to negate him - why don't people view defenders the same way they do taggers? Why should gun midfielders be able to run around free all game? I just don't get why people criticize Crowley, Macaffer et al because all they do is stop another player.

Macaffer ensured that Cotchin had no influence in the game, which was very beneficial to his team, therefore I would say he played a great game.

Everyone wants more frees to "ball players". But these "ball players" get frees on reputation often. You see it all the time - 50/50 call, goes to the Pendleburys, the Abletts, Cotchins, Watsons etc.

Yep, you see it all the time and it is pretty obvious at times. Sometimes it takes a while for the ump to blow the whistle, and it seems like they weren't going to pay a free, but then realised who it was and so blow the whistle.

My point was the article on the AFL website was listing Cotchins stats and his low points and lauding McCaffer as playing a great game, don't get me wrong he did a job he was obviously set, but he didn't contribute anything significant beyond subduing Cotchin.

That's the point of his role.

Macaffer plays a loose game, 17-20 touches, 60% DE and 4 tackles. Cotchin meanwhile gets 32 touches 80%+ DE, 10 clearances and 1-2 goals.

Macaffer plays on him, covers him well, the Togers have to rely on Martin and Houli (LOL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cotchin's hit on/blow up at Clint Young was one of the funniest/most pathetic things I've seen from a supposed "leader" on the footy field in a long time. For Caff to frustrate him into doing something like that was reward enough.

That being said, how is what Caff was doing (tactically, not in terms of actual effectiveness) any different to what every defender in the league does every single week? If they put the camera on one-on-one match-ups inside 50 as often as they do the midfield ones, people would see it's as common as day.

Buckley made the same point last night.

Forwards are corralled, bumped, shepherded off the ball for 4 quarters, week in, week out. But when a star mid has a bad night, and his opponent applies similar tactics to his back line team mates, some people start bleating about the spirit of the game.

If players like Cloke, Riewoldt, Cameron and Kennedy can deal with the same sort of treatment, then so can midfielders. And the reality is that most mids, most of the time, do just that.

It's just that nuffies like Bruce and his posse of dolts on Seven are absolutely rubbish, and consistently make bad calls like this one.

Everyone wants more frees to "ball players". But these "ball players" get frees on reputation often. You see it all the time - 50/50 call, goes to the Pendleburys, the Abletts, Cotchins, Watsons etc.

Cotchin had a FK count of 5/0 last night.

Tigers had the better of the umps - it didn't matter - beaten by a team that all played their roles.

Cotch was complaining all night about his treatment and then Hardwick moves him onto Pendles to try and break the tag and almost straight away he gives Pendles a big elbow in the back when Pendles wasn't looking.

All the other elite mids cop a tag and work through it but it all seemed a bit too hard for Trent.

Looks like Cotch has been to the Brett Deledio school of breaking a tag.

Well I think we can all agree that Cotchin is a ball winner and Macaffer is a spud.

Macaffer was a solid contributor as a small forward in a premiership team and has bounced back from a knee reco to add extra facets to his game including solid endurance and good defensive skills. I don't know about your categorisation criteria but I wouldn't call Macaffer a spud.

And there is our problem right there, clearly you have no concept of what "big news" actually is.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... My whole point of this is that the AFL website has 2 articles on McCaffer and how amazing this performance was when it is not in fact the case.

Please get your sarcasm detector checked.

Mark Robinson is that you??

How do you define who is a ball winner and who isn't? I think a lot of the premier mids already get a decent ride from the umps (especially cotchin) I don't wont them getting extra free kicks purely because Ryan Crowley is the player that was making contact with them rather then Nat Fyfe.

Going by your logic you want a game where 'ball winning' mids have to start every stoppage at least 2 metres away from one another and I am also assuming that you don't want defenders in the game as they have the nerve to spoil 'talented forwards' all the time?

A ball player is looking at the ball and making it his objective. A tagger is not. Pretty friggen simple I would have thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

HOW CAFF GOT COTCH

Remove this Banner Ad

Back