Toast How can this Hawthorn side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Key to beating the Hawks is having incredible hamstring and lower back flexibility. With Ginnivan, Watson and Moore dropping to the floor like a snipers shot them every time they get the ball inside 50 you need to get seriously low with your tackles.
Good thing Carlton decided to take the day second half of the season off.

If the Blues lose to the Hawks in 2 weeks I'll probably just nuke my computer. Would be an all time choke job.

Curnow and McKay should kick about 20 between them vs ur backline as it is.

I guess you didn't do that... You did do this as I predicted
You won't do anything if Hawks beat Carlton, you'll just complain about the umpiring, or that you had injuries.

I also predicted this, which you laughed at
You will struggle to get 50 inside 50s for the whole game against Hawthorn, which means you'll struggle to score, let alone win by any big margins.

You had 43 inside 50's, scored 38 points, and only took 6 marks inside 50 to Hawthorn's 20. Let that sink in. Let that sink in because you predicted that Carlton were going to smash Hawthorn.

Geelong seem to match up really well with them for some reason. It's almost like teams who can spread it around without having a one-two punch in midfield, can bamboozle the Hawks.

I can't remember how they went against GWS but they too have a good spread of contributors so a team like that poses a lot of headaches for Hawthorn.

Geelong seem to match up really well with them for some reason. It's almost like teams who can spread it around without having a one-two punch in midfield, can bamboozle the Hawks.

I can't remember how they went against GWS but they too have a good spread of contributors so a team like that poses a lot of headaches for Hawthorn.

I don't know if you noticed but last time, Geelong played Hawthorn at GMHBA. Geelong caught Hawks on the hop on an unfamiliar ground which you won't get the advantage come next game.

I'm not sure if you also noticed that Sicily, Dear and Ginnivan were also missing. Maybe if you realised these things you wouldn't be acting so cocky.

I don't know if you noticed but last time, Geelong played Hawthorn at GMHBA. Geelong caught Hawks on the hop on an unfamiliar ground which you won't get the advantage come next game.

I'm not sure if you also noticed that Sicily, Dear and Ginnivan were also missing. Maybe if you realised these things you wouldn't be acting so cocky.

Not really sure what’s cocky about pointing out a couple of pretty basic observations from two matches so far.

Dear was missing? Sorry but that’s like us whinging that Shannon Neale missed a game. Yeah he might have a future but it’s not exactly Jesse Hogan or Jeremy Cameron missing a match, is it. Regardless, Hawkins, for as bad as he has been this year, missed that game as well and even after Dear’s goals today, Hawkins has had better output this year than Dear has. What’s the difference, really. Seems strange that you’d pick that absence to whinge about when he’s a player who’s output has been lower than that of a Geelong counterpart.

We were also without Tanner Bruhn who’s been easily among our best 2-3 midfielders.

Can anyone that follows this sport just accept a defeat? Ever?

Will it actually drain life force from you to say ‘you know what, the 22 human beings on the patch of grass that day, the same one that represented my team, kicking the same ball, at the same target, that we played against, were too good.’ It’s always unfamiliarity or the crowd or some other bullshit 😂😂

Hawthorn may well smack us if we meet again: God knows their best football is probably good enough and who the hell knows which Geelong will turn up.

But it won’t be the venue that beats us, it will be your football.

Not really sure what’s cocky about pointing out a couple of pretty basic observations from two matches so far.

Dear was missing? Sorry but that’s like us whinging that Shannon Neale missed a game. Yeah he might have a future but it’s not exactly Jesse Hogan or Jeremy Cameron missing a match, is it. Regardless, Hawkins, for as bad as he has been this year, missed that game as well and even after Dear’s goals today, Hawkins has had better output this year than Dear has. What’s the difference, really. Seems strange that you’d pick that absence to whinge about when he’s a player who’s output has been lower than that of a Geelong counterpart.

We were also without Tanner Bruhn who’s been easily among our best 2-3 midfielders.

Will it actually drain life force from you to say ‘you know what, the 22 human beings on the patch of grass that day, the same one that represented my team, kicking the same ball, at the same target, that we played against, were too good.’ It’s always unfamiliarity or the crowd or some other bullshit 😂😂

Hawthorn may well smack us if we meet again: God knows their best football is probably good enough and who the hell knows which Geelong will turn up.

No.

We've lost 7 games this year and not a single one was because of the opposition.

We just played poorly, had players out, and the lady at the hotel desk was rude that one time when the key card didn't work. It shattered our confidence.

I also blame Raygun for any losses we will experience from here on in.

Sounds like your whining about a whinge? 😂👌

Oh and the venue will allow us to play our best football.

We're utter gold when we can play on our own terms (quick running and handball, multiple entry points to the F50), but there are issues when we're denied that, and in finals you're not always going to get things on your own terms. The two times we played Geelong this season are instructive in that on Easter Monday we were beaten by a more experienced, mature team, who gave us issues by having a forward line too tall for our backline (and the fact that Jezza is also super mobile for his size is what makes him one of the elite players in the AFL), prior to us going on our run. The second time, yes it was at an unfamiliar ground, but Geelong also forced the issue with their set up to make the apparent pressure-free side of the ground for kick inside and moving outside D50 able to be closed quickly, meaning we frequently couldn't move past the wing. Poor kicking for goal in the first 10 minutes by the Cats actually flattered us.

Yet finals is a new beast entirely, and I think Mitchell would've learned a lot tactically from that game. But Scott is no slouch either. Should we face off in September (assuming Hawthorn make it), it has the potential to be a classic.

For a couple of teams predicted to be bottom 4 (Hawks) and 10-12 (Cats, that cliff has to come eventually...) I think both our fan bases have every right to be very pleased with how the season has panned out so far.

No.

We've lost 7 games this year and not a single one was because of the opposition.

We just played poorly, had players out, and the lady at the hotel kiosk was rude that one time when the key card didn't work. It shattered our confidence.

Now you're getting it!!

No.

We just played poorly, had players out, and the lady at the hotel kiosk was rude that one time when the key card didn't work. It shattered our confidence.

😂😂😂

It’s a salient point and there’s also been some suggestion that any defeats in which we fielded a first choice 22, we struggled because we weren’t actually used to that combination because it’s rare to have your best 22 available

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like your whining about a whinge? 😂👌

Oh and the venue will allow us to play our best football.

The venue won’t make a lick of difference if the other team is too good for you.

Do you really think a few extra metres of grass is going to be more of a factor than the skills, athleticism, will, determination, tactics and execution of 22 professional footballers and the coaches telling them what to do?

Somehow I don’t. I think it can be a small factor, yes, beyond that, especially if you don’t have an advantage of hosting an interstate team, it’s of minor relevance

The venue won’t make a lick of difference if the other team is too good for you.

Do you really think a few extra metres of grass is going to be more of a factor than the skills, athleticism, will, determination, tactics and execution of 22 professional footballers and the coaches telling them what to do?

Somehow I don’t. I think it can be a small factor, yes, beyond that, especially if you don’t have an advantage of hosting an interstate team, it’s of minor relevance
Yes, I think playing at the MCG rather than GMHBA will make quite a big difference.

Geelong were scarily good and deserved to win both times this year (smashed us in fact), but it's no coincidence Hawthorn's season literally turned since Dear debuted. So if we're judging him on goals kicked this year (which i assume you mean by 'output'), then i can't change your mind but his uncanny knack to step up at crucial stages – whether clutch goals or desperate smothers – is a massive weapon leading into September if Hawks are fortunate enough to make it.

Yes, I think playing at the MCG rather than GMHBA will make quite a big difference.

A week ago you coughed up a five goal lead in 15 minutes and 7 goals in a quarter on a ground with identical dimensions to the MCG against a team who play on the second skinniest field in the comp, and had no idea how to stop it. Was it the ground that day, or the opposition?

Geelong were scarily good and deserved to win both times this year (smashed us in fact), but it's no coincidence Hawthorn's season literally turned since Dear debuted. So if we're judging him on goals kicked this year (which i assume you mean by 'output'), then i can't change your mind but his uncanny knack to step up at crucial stages – whether clutch goals or desperate smothers – is a massive weapon leading into September if Hawks are fortunate enough to make it.

Based on how good he is at such a young age I think he’s going to be a very good player and clearly he’s important to your tactics and structure like any key forward is and he has real ability but as I said, it wasn’t like you were without Jesse Hogan and for all the shit that Hawkins has copped for his form this year, he was still - prior to the game where he got hurt - contributing 1.8 goals/assists per game. So I’d say their value as ‘outs’ is at least similar.

A week ago you coughed up a five goal lead in 15 minutes and 7 goals in a quarter on a ground with identical dimensions to the MCG against a team who play on the second skinniest field in the comp, and had no idea how to stop it. Was it the ground that day, or the opposition?
I don't think I've mentioned ground dimensions, but OK. I'd say on the MCG we may have given it a better go.

However same thing happened in Adelaide against Port. So good logic.

Its ignorant to believe homeground advantages don't matter.

Based on how good he is at such a young age I think he’s going to be a very good player and clearly he’s important to your tactics and structure like any key forward is and he has real ability but as I said, it wasn’t like you were without Jesse Hogan and for all the shit that Hawkins has copped for his form this year, he was still - prior to the game where he got hurt - contributing 1.8 goals/assists per game. So I’d say their value as ‘outs’ is at least similar.
Yeah fair call, even a half fit Hawkins not playing is a big out. Is he going to get a farewell game?

I don't think I've mentioned ground dimensions, but OK. I'd say on the MCG we may have given it a better go.

However same thing happened in Adelaide against Port. So good logic.

Its ignorant to believe homeground advantages don't matter.

if your argument is based around simply the comfort of being at home then fair enough, I assumed it was based around the size of the field.

FWIW, we have a better record at the MCG this year than we do at Kardinia Park.

Yeah fair call, even a half fit Hawkins not playing is a big out. Is he going to get a farewell game?

My gut feel is no, not in the ‘let’s give him the luxury of a send off’ sense

but I have a suspicion that something will go **** up at some stage and we will have no choice but to pick him and if we can get 1-2 goals out of him that would be a win

Well done it just shows that you have no idea how important Dear is to Hawthorn.

If your including Hawkins, since he has been out you've looked better, just like Hawthorn have looked better since Dear has replaced Lewis.

The amount of defensive running we do from the forward line due to this is important to our defence, and when Lewis is there we do a little bit less of it. Same if Hawkins is in the side. Unless these big forwards are not kicking 3 goals, they can be a liability.

My gut feel is no, not in the ‘let’s give him the luxury of a send off’ sense

but I have a suspicion that something will go **** up at some stage and we will have no choice but to pick him and if we can get 1-2 goals out of him that would be a win
Unless he's in your plans for Sept, it'd be a massive call – but get the feeling Chris Scott has enough decency/sentimentality in him to make it happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast How can this Hawthorn side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back