How do you solve a problem like Buddy and Roughy?

Remove this Banner Ad

If neither Hurley or Daniher come up for this game (Hurley should probably play at least a game for Bendigo, though Daniher could probably slot back in). Then I think we will need to go with Bellchambers in to do the rucking rotating through the forward line with Paddy and Hooker can stay back all game.

This also gives us the flexibility that we can send Ryder back and Hooker forward/ruck if the backline is getting smashed beyond what we expect it to.

well i dont think we can really tell who will do well.
We are just gonna have to wait and see how each does on the other opponent.
All we know is usually buddy n roughy (not so much) kill us each yr.
No point putting ryder down there or fletch (if fit). They get killed each yr.
Will be exciting to see any of the untried youngsters against the premier forwards

Hurley - Roughead, Pears - Franklin and McPhee to play spare man in defence.

Pears will need to work off buddy, but down the flanks. McPhee needs to play a defensive game (against what I believe he should be doing in the side) and be third man up all game. Hooker back up ruck, Ryder to ruck then rest at FF. We will need to have a great game from our mid group, I think we need Houli to come into the side and run from the HBF, he should take NLM's spot.

I think we should flood. And play damned ugly football. I remember they did it to us in 2005 when they stank. And we only won by 3 points that day.
Bugger em. Id rather lose by 4 goals than 20!
If we play like we have been the past 3 weeks its gonna be humiliating to watch.

I agree with this - if we lose by under 4 goals - have to take that as a positive experience for our young brigade who would be almost used to seeing us become our worst enemy whenever we venture forward.

Lloyd up forward flying solo whilst Davey and Jetta crumb deep - Lucas playing wide out on the left wing and hopefully catch anything that falls his way and McPhee on the opposite wing doing as he pleases.

What I would give to have Welsh and McVeigh back right now marshalling the troops in the middle.

Dennis6PR-Thumbnail-172x115.jpg

'And the floodgates are open...'

We'll just use Hurley... damn... Daniher! no... Fletcher, nup, Ryder... in the ruck, Hooker... in the ruck... anyone over 6'3" !

That's 5 of our top 6 defensive options basiaclly out of the question
Bringing in BC will give us the option of freeing either Ryder or Hooker, at the expense of some mobility. We will need him dropping back into the hole if he's in the side.

The backline we put out there next week should (by rights) be the sort of backline that concedes massive bags to key forwards. Underweight, inexperienced, basically unknown in Hooker's case.
We shall see.

Your boys really need to make sure the ball spends a large % of the time in your own forward line i.e. smash us in the midfield.

If not, I don't think there is a lot you can do. At least one will kick 5+ this week if our midfield is on song.

McPhee to play as loose man and help out Pears and Daniher/Hurley/Hooker on the other player.

Let's just play the loose man, tag Hodge with Monfries and hope like hell that Watson, Lonergan and Hocking play blinders to deny first use of the ball.

Then our quicker guys will hurt the hawks who aren't overly fast when compared to us.

Of course if we apply no midfield pressure- we will be pummeled.

But funnily enough, after a disappointing loss - I reckon they will respond positively.

Let's hope our duo Soctty and Lloydy wind back the clock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm, I posted this on BB, but I saw a subtle (or not so subtle) hint that Myers is at this stage the planned match-up for Franklin.

For specifics, he said 2 players will have the ride of their lives.

They were Tayte Pears and David Myers.

Hmm, I posted this on BB, but I saw a subtle (or not so subtle) hint that Myers is at this stage the planned match-up for Franklin.

For specifics, he said 2 players will have the ride of their lives.

They were Tayte Pears and David Myers.

I just posted an article about Lucas being dropped and Knights said as much.

Myers on Franklin? Surely not? Although he probably is tall enough - is he strong enough?

McPhee to play as loose man and help out Pears and Daniher/Hurley/Hooker on the other player.

Let's just play the loose man, tag Hodge with Monfries and hope like hell that Watson, Lonergan and Hocking play blinders to deny first use of the ball.

Then our quicker guys will hurt the hawks who aren't overly fast when compared to us.

Of course if we apply no midfield pressure- we will be pummeled.

This is the best plan, I think. Except have McPhee focus on helping whoever is playing on Roughead (Franklin is out of sorts for Franklin, and Roughead is on fire for anyone). If we really restrict Roughhead the pressure on an out-of-sorts Franklin will either push him into a brilliant or a terrible game -- a risk we have to take. So Pears on Roughead with support from McPhee.

Dempsey to step up another gear. He has shown plenty of times this year that he is willing to put his body on the line, and has quite a good leap and overhead mark. I'd have him on Franklin alone, playing off him (to avoid Franklin's muscle), matching his fancy footwork and speed, and hoping for the best. I admit that it's unlikely, especially given Knights' comments, and Dempsey's roles this year, but I'd love to see it. Also, if we put the focus on Roughead and thus make Franklin the focus of the Hawks' I50s, then Dempsey will be in the thick of the action, providing the run off half back we're going to need to win.

(And afl.com.au said today that Daniher and Hurley are both playing VFL.)

borrow a tactic from william wallace (braveheart) and tar one of the F50's. Then win the toss.. send them in and fire the flaming arrow.. :rolleyes:

Probably the easiest solution and I think a couple of other teams will thank us as well...

Other than that.. we don't solve it.. we just get slaughtered.. errgghhh its giving me shudders just thinking about it..

The coaches will work it out this alleged problem, and that reminds me of an old saying that all Dons should keep in mind: "What we anticipate seldom occurs, what we least expect generally happens"

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you solve a problem like Buddy and Roughy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back