How good was it to hear the Fitzroy chant on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitzroy's long dead

Why do people like you feel the need to keep spouting this pathetic lie about my club?

Are you concerned that if you stop lying about this, people might find out that we're still around and still playing?

Unfortunately for you of course, many people are finding that out, which is why our membership has doubled again back up to 3,500 just in the last three years, and we've been promoted once already and chasing down a second promotion this year.

And won our last six games in a row, for that matter.

The truth about the continued operation and existence of Fitzroy in 3...2...

U8Bn7.jpg

http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/

Last 10 mins of the third quarter iirc.

Starts as a Lions chant, then the Fitzroy chant goes up.

I've downloaded the replay of the game via Bigpond just so I could watch and hear that chant again. Very proud moments :thumbsu:

One thing i enjoyed about the gme on Saturday was it is probably the last time we will get to see traditional Fitzroy vs Footscray. Great jumpers. So glad the Dogs have gone back to an older design, and not trying to do anything flashy. More times need to do it. West Coast, Port Adelaide, Bulldogs, and Adelaide have all gone back to basics with jumpers over the last feww years and it is good to see.

Always amazed me that Brisbane didnt just wear a Fitzroy jumper for all away games in Melbourne. Way to miss the target fanbase.

Call it politics or correctness, but at the time it was a takeover not a merger and there was a lot of bad blood. Over time some things have thawed a little. Wearing the Fitzroy colours has been a god send to some of us and seeing the Fitzroy emblem does help maintain the link. The club has had a somewhat chequered history of connecting with Fitzroy folk, but credit where credit is due, the current management is doing its best to maintain the link with Fitzroy and incorporate its AFL/VFL history into the club.

Unfortunately there has been damage done and many folks have opted not to follow the Lions, I can understand where they are coming from, ultimately everyone is entitled to make there own choice.

Once the Paddlepop is consigned to the dustbin along with the rocket scientists who devised it, we will be able to continue to move forward appreciating the history of the combined entity.

If your a true Fitzroy fan you follow Brisbane. If its good enough for Kevin Murray it should be good enough for anyone I blieve. I can understand those who don't follow anyone to a degree but I don't get how Fitzroy fans would choose another AFL to follow. It should be brisbane or no one

If your a true Fitzroy fan you follow Brisbane. If its good enough for Kevin Murray it should be good enough for anyone I blieve. I can understand those who don't follow anyone to a degree but I don't get how Fitzroy fans would choose another AFL to follow. It should be brisbane or no one

For a lot of people the way the "merger" was constructed destroyed their faith and they could never be associated with Brisbane, you may not agree but that's the way some people felt and still feel. I was agnostic during 1997. Many people wanted to retain a local team and a lot went to the Kangas and a few went to the Dees. It's a big thing to have your club ripped away from you and going from being able tp see them play live 18 times a year down to 5 or 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like the idea of a prominent FFC on a Brisbane Lions guernsey - but replace the FFC with the original lion logo and they are onto a winner.

Perhaps a BBFFC monogram in the style of the FFC monogram would be in order.

If you're a true Fitzroy fan you follow the Fitzroy Football Club.

Edited for truth.

And it seems obvious enough, does it not?

PS- That's what I certainly do, even if from a distance. Would kill to be there for our matches at Brunswick St. Especially given our strong upward curve on the field now. I hope I'm in a position to travel down in the not-too-distant future.

Perhaps a BBFFC monogram in the style of the FFC monogram would be in order.

Just bringing back the classic Lion would do me. Wouldn't mind seeing it slapped on the guernsey we wore on the weekend (although minus the "vest" style strip down the middle).

For a lot of people the way the "merger" was constructed destroyed their faith and they could never be associated with Brisbane, you may not agree but that's the way some people felt and still feel. I was agnostic during 1997. Many people wanted to retain a local team and a lot went to the Kangas and a few went to the Dees. It's a big thing to have your club ripped away from you and going from being able tp see them play live 18 times a year down to 5 or 6.

I agree and I was a fitzroy supporter to. I used to know these too girls there were die hard Fitzroy fans then became Saints fans to the point where they have reserved seats etc and I just did not believe they were true fitzroy fans if they became so passionate about an opposistion club. I can understand people following Fitzroy in the vafa or there were a few I know that went and followed Melbourne Storm. I don't get how a true Fitzroy fan can go and barrack for an opposistion club tho.

Edited for truth.

And it seems obvious enough, does it not?

I don't get how you can get passionate about another club though that you would have no time for were Fitzroy still in the competition.

Then again, I'm not going to pretend to understand what it feels like to have your club kicked out of the comp that you're following avidly.

I agree and I was a fitzroy supporter to. I used to know these too girls there were die hard Fitzroy fans then became Saints fans to the point where they have reserved seats etc and I just did not believe they were true fitzroy fans if they became so passionate about an opposistion club. I can understand people following Fitzroy in the vafa or there were a few I know that went and followed Melbourne Storm. I don't get how a true Fitzroy fan can go and barrack for an opposistion club tho.

Noel Gordon's administration in 1997-1998 did a great deal of damage to the Brisbane-Fitzroy relationship which still has a considerable impact for many old Fitzroy people today.

But how can you follow another club?

Some Fitzroy people regard Brisbane as another club. For many Fitzroy supporters in Victoria Brisbane are a club that you can rarely watch on TV, can only see six times a year and at times appears to want to have very little to do with Fitzroy. That's why many moved their support to another Victorian based club, such as North Melbourne or Melbourne. But for a quirk of fate, we might have been following the "North Fitzroy Kangaroos" or the "Melbourne Lions."

Agree. Brilliant to hear. Great moment in AFL history that a club could merge 16 years ago and still have heritage to its roots. Great job AFL and Brisbane.

terrible job afl.

they did the damage and pass it off as a prior "administration"

then they fool people like you (no offence intended) into thinking they have done a good deed by what? encouraging the merged club to wear the merged jumper?

no, the afl should be doing more

I'm glad to hear the opinion of the Paddle Pop Lion guernsey is unanimous. It really is a disgrace, and as somebody else posted, many other clubs have gone back to basics with a traditional style jumper design.
We can only hope that from next year the Lions revert back to the old style Lion.

It was great to see the old Fitzroy crest, especially against the old Footscray colours. I have such great memories of Pies v Fitzroy games in the 80s and early 90s. The 'Roys were our bogey team, no doubt about it. I'm glad there are so many of you out there still so passionate about Fitzroy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back