How good was it to hear the Fitzroy chant on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad to hear the opinion of the Paddle Pop Lion guernsey is unanimous. It really is a disgrace, and as somebody else posted, many other clubs have gone back to basics with a traditional style jumper design.
We can only hope that from next year the Lions revert back to the old style Lion.

It was great to see the old Fitzroy crest, especially against the old Footscray colours. I have such great memories of Pies v Fitzroy games in the 80s and early 90s. The 'Roys were our bogey team, no doubt about it. I'm glad there are so many of you out there still so passionate about Fitzroy.

Everyones hates it.

We had some great games against Collingwood. Princess Park in 92 is still one of the best games Iv'e been to. Still makes me laugh watching Manson kick :)

Enormous kudos to you for that mate :thumbsu::D

Of course, Braun2BeWild/'Oh Darling' has a long-standing vendetta against Fitzroy and Fitzroy people. Always has.

He knows the facts about the whiteanting campaign that took place against our club over the last 12 years of our time in the AFL. He's been told many times. But it suits his vindictive and poisonous agenda against us to pretend he doesn't know about such things.

He also knows full well that our club still exists. He just wishes we didn't still exist as a club.

The very fact that the Roys are still around and operating as a club, and those of us who support the Roys, like the Roys supporters down at Etihad on the weekend, continue to make our presence felt, and the fact Fitzroy people like myself are active here... these things all hurt him grievously.

The way our membership has doubled in the last three years, and how we've been promoted once in our league, and close to being promoted again, no doubt wounds him even further.

May we continue to grow and prosper, and cause him ever more pain by our doing so :thumbsu:

He knows the facts about the whiteanting campaign that took place against our club over the last 12 years of our time in the AFL. But it suits his vindictive agenda against us to pretend he doesn't know about such things.

That's OK. He can get used to being corrected.

He also knows full well that our club still exists. He just wishes we didn't still exist.

Too bad for him then. :)

Once the Paddlepop is consigned to the dustbin along with the rocket scientists who devised it, we will be able to continue to move forward appreciating the history of the combined entity.

The old BL guernsey with the Lion upgraded a la the Detroit Lions that got some publicity around the time of the rebranding for home games, any number of old Fitzroy heritage guernseys when playing away/in Melbourne.

Ridonkulously obvious move.

The old BL guernsey with the Lion upgraded a la the Detroit Lions that got some publicity around the time of the rebranding for home games

5880032477_341f679489.jpg

Mother****ing Yahtzee!

Yeah that jumper looks brilliant.

As for what the Fitzroy fans did after the club got merged, my fathers side of the family were pretty involved with the club a couple of them played there and one captained them. After the merger they didn't choose another club and nor did they really get behind Brisbane (but didn't dislike them either), but still watched the AFL with the long ingrained hatred of Collingwood, Carlton etc. remaining. The more I think about it, the more I probably should ask them about it considering I was pretty young when all of the sh** went down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for what the Fitzroy fans did after their AFL operations were taken over by Brisbane.

EFT. The Fitzroy Football Club exists in its own right, always has - we're not a subsidiary of Brisbane.

The absorption of playing operations by Brisbane in 1996 was a distressing period for all Fitzroy supporters. Some individuals found solace following Brisbane. Others found a degree of comfort following remaining clubs. Many felt betrayed and remain disenchanted with the AFL. Owing to these alternative pathways our family was divided by higher powers beyond our control. Therefore when a ‘Fitzroy’ chant arises during an AFL contest in 2012 we all (not matter which track we followed) have the rare opportunity on the biggest stage to unite together in our common passion for our beloved Fitzroy. That’s special. It warms the hearts of all Fitzroy supporters.

In current times an additional alternative has evolved for our family. After the merger the Fitzroy Football Club legally continued to exist and operate in Melbourne. Through various developments the club has been able to field a senior team in the VAFA in recent seasons. Whilst this competition level doesn’t compare to the AFL, it nevertheless has also provided the opportunity for long suffering supporters to again unite together. That’s also very special.

It’s disappointing that a percentage of AFL supporters feel threatened by the efforts of Fitzroy people to maintain the identity of our club. I don’t understand where such attitudes arise from. Is it ignorance? Is it a power issue? I’d encourage all readers of bigfooty to explore the Fitzroy board and discover what makes us supporters tick. In doing so you may learn some history of our proud club and why our small dedicated band of followers endeavour to uphold the legacy of Fitzroy.

Make the Lion a bit smaller and it would've been the perfect way of "modernising"

Edit:

Made the Lion the old size and got the Lions feet more evenly alligned (only good bit of the paddlepop body design).

Mist lions supporters can't understand why the predecessors did half the things they did. Non lions supporters will just lay the blame with loss, its a better story!
Mist lions supporters can't understand why the predecessors did half the things they did. Non lions supporters will just lay the blame with loss, its a better story!

Oops, meant Voss. Ruins that rant......back to work.

It was good. Even better would be to see people get down to Brunswick St Oval and chant Fitzroy while watching Fitzroy play. This Saturday at 2pm. They are playing Old Essendon.
So are you a passionate Cats supporter now?

Maybe if there were more of them chanting it in 1996 they would still be alive.
Please don't get Roylion started..... please.

Interesting that everyone loves the new jumper idea posted on here. I thought Fitzroy / Brisbane was maroon, not pink :rolleyes:

Perhaps but it wouldn't hurt with what they did for that game on Saturday by acknowledging their Fitzroy history. I think it's great that Brisbane are making a real effort to embrace Fitzroy supporters and try to make them feel like it's their club too, if I was an old Fitzroy supporter I would support Brisbane rather than another completely different club.

I agree Plugger, but unfortunately the 'love' isn't going the other way. Those old enough to have supported Fitzroy will continue to carry the hate with them forever now. If those supporters haven't already moved over, they are unlikely to ever convert I don't think, regardless of what Brisbane do.

One thing I'll never understand is why a club who had probably the best jumper in the AFL (Fitzroy) has gradually brought out crappier versions over a 15 year period.....no sense at all

Remove this Banner Ad

How good was it to hear the Fitzroy chant on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back