How many chances does Lachy Hansen get?

Remove this Banner Ad

boomer_29

Debutant
May 23, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lachy Hansen is yet to play a good game this year, so why does he get so many chances? It seems like he is an automatic selection even though he is a rubbish player with very poor work ethic.

Cam Pedersen has played two solid games and has given 100% for the team in both his opportunities and still gets omitted afterwards even though Hansen plays much worse but he still gets to keep his spot. It is an absolute joke!

Ben McKinley was a fantastic recruit and a serious gun, some people have forgotten he kicked 7 against the bombers in 2007. He played for us in round 1 and had a poor game but hasn't had a chance at AFL level since, even though he has been killing it in the VFL with bags and bags of goals. It is an outrage that he hasn't been given a chance to prove himself at our club.

Seems there is a serious problem with our selection process...

Lachy Hansen is yet to play a good game this year, so why does he get so many chances.

Aaaahh..........what if..................now............this is just a hypothetical question here...............but............what if.........you just happen to be a shit judge with a very limited understanding of football?

Indulge me?

I'm seriously starting to question Brad Scott with these squad selections. Hansen has been down on form all year yet retains a game every week with little effort. Mean while Pedersen and McKinley work there ass off at VFL level with great performances respectively and yet don't get a second look. How much more input do they need to apply before they get a gig in place of spuds like Hansen and Thomas.

Really disappointing. although its good to see Greenwood back, and hopefully Anthony can get back some of that form we all know he is capable of producing.

Not even gonna reply to that Teffy, my football understanding is of the highest level and should not be brought into question.

Hansen should be given a couple of weeks in the VFL to get some confidence and he can develop his game better there than playing like arse in the the 1s. And this will give others a chance to prove themselves at the highest level.

I hope Pedo gets another chance but it's a stretch to describe his game against Geelong as "solid". Unless of course you were using the term in the faecal sense.

You can stay what you want but the facts are Pedo will never be a long term option where as Hansen may still be.
Even know I think Hansen is a backman I'd still play him over Pedersen every day of the week.

As for Ben McKinley he has no defensive skills and not many tricks at AFL level. Happy for him to play out his time in the two's.

Not even gonna reply to that Teffy, my football understanding is of the highest level and should not be brought into question.

Really?

Could you point me towards any past examples?

Dunno but Dish got a good 3 years without doing much of note before extracting the digit.

Question is... Is Hansen the type that will go back into the VFL and work to a high enough standard? He has more ability in one testicle than most VFL level players, is he just going to take it easy and kick his 3 or 4 goals and not really address any of his deficiencies?

You might say he deserves it, and seriously, if that was the only real position we were deficient in then you could make that claim, but we stink on every line. FF, HF, C, HB, FB there are problems on every line.

If you just don't like his body language and want to flush him down the toilet then ultimately it is the club and all supporters who pay if we can't get someone talented and one of our few very good picks to make the grade.

His shortcomings will not be exposed as much as they will at AFL level and while his spot in the side isn't the difference between us being a bottom four side or being a top four side and he is hopefully part of our future then it is better for him to be pushed hard.

Guys that aren't getting a game and should be getting a game aren't really in competition with Hansen in my opinion. Some guys who wont be part of the future and aren't going all that great this year are getting game time ahead of guys who may be and are doing everything asked at VFL level. To me, that is the only problem.

rubbish player with very poor work ethic.

this is bollocks.

there's no doubt he's out of form but he's so far from a "rubbish player" add to that he works as hard, if not harder than everyone else in the team.

I'm all for giving him a run in the twos to find form but he's been given one more chance, lets hope he really grabs it by the balls.

Dunno but Dish got a good 3 years without doing much of note before extracting the digit.

Question is... Is Hansen the type that will go back into the VFL and work to a high enough standard? He has more ability in one testicle than most VFL level players, is he just going to take it easy and kick his 3 or 4 goals and not really address any of his deficiencies?

You might say he deserves it, and seriously, if that was the only real position we were deficient in then you could make that claim, but we stink on every line. FF, HF, C, HB, FB there are problems on every line.

If you just don't like his body language and want to flush him down the toilet then ultimately it is the club and all supporters who pay if we can't get someone talented and one of our few very good picks to make the grade.

His shortcomings will not be exposed as much as they will at AFL level and while his spot in the side isn't the difference between us being a bottom four side or being a top four side and he is hopefully part of our future then it is better for him to be pushed hard.

Guys that aren't getting a game and should be getting a game aren't really in competition with Hansen in my opinion. Some guys who wont be part of the future and aren't going all that great this year are getting game time ahead of guys who may be and are doing everything asked at VFL level. To me, that is the only problem.

You need to take in to account that most people have no clue about football.

Any myopic flog can work out that Boomer Harvey is a good player, but only about one in thirty or forty can see past the standard stimulation factors and identify traits in talented young players that will inevitably lead to the player in question becoming a gun for the club. Even less people understand the tactical and positional nuances that may outwardly affect a players perceived output.

I remember the Petrie waffle, it was completely absurd. Hansen is a better player than Petrie at the same age, no doubt about it, and he will be a better player than Petrie.

The stats

Petrie 57 matches: 496 disposals, 186 marks, 52 goals 34 behinds
Hansen 57 matches: 746 disposals, 270 marks, 45 goals 33 behinds

I need not mention that Hansen has played less than 50% of his time as a forward.

The truth is that there would be 12 clubs in the competition that would jump all over Hansen if he were to ever become available.

Hansen has played a couple good games this year, for mine hasn't warranted automatic selection every week.

I agree with McKinley being made to earn his spot in the team, bit hypocritical that Hansen is an automatic selection whereas McKinley must earn his spot.

If Hansen doesn't improve this week, then surely he must be dropped next week, and not be called upon until he can string together good games in the 2's.

Heck Edwards was made too.

Pederson deserves to be played ahead of Hansen atm. Or even try Tarrant at CHF for a whole game, can't hurt us, its still a development year, not going for the flag this year.

What bullshit. You can be a number one draft pick with all the talent and potential in the world, but if you're not putting in the hard yards looking to improve performance after being down on form for most of the year then you need to go back to the 2's for beneficial reasons. It's not he's some skinny 19 year old in his first or second season so I'm not going to cut him some slack.

In the mean time, give the spot to blokes who work there ass off trying to get back into the senior side (Pedo, McKinley), or blood another debutante (Black, Cam Delaney, Norris etc)

Ben McKinley was a fantastic recruit and a serious gun,

Seems there is a serious problem with our selection process...

I think the serious problems may be with your good self there boomer_29 if you were able to type the above statement with a straight face. Funny stuff.

It always amazes me how so many of our superstars play in our 2nds. These guys are playing 2nds for a reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO the only reason he could be dropped to the twos would be with very strict instructions.

Go back to the twos, kick bags of 7 or higher every week, kick from outside 50 consistently.

But the reality is any game time he spends in the vfl is time he is not moving at AFL standard.

Lachy is part of the future. He showed alot last year forward, if moved into the backline he would be our best defender. Why does he keep getting a game? Because 9 rounds does not a premiership side make.

A question for the BF brains trust how many games has Lachy officially played as a forward?

Agree totally with Tas.

Every team has a bunch of flog supporters who take pride in calling a select couple of whipping boys "shit" each week until they either turn it around (Petrie) or get delisted (Sansbury etc).

Probably due to their extensive experience coaching dreamteam/supercoach many seem to overrate the selection table as the most important function a coach performs, however I think consistency of personnel is far more effective long term that dropping half the squad each week.

Also, doesn't it seem counter-intuitive to "Drop" a player to "Find confidence"? :p

A question for the BF brains trust how many games has Lachy officially played as a forward?

An educated guesstimate would be 20 to 23.

About half of those (10-11) as the number one forward target.

Here is a comparison with a kid that is a year older than Lachie who kicked 10.3 last weekend and has played the vast majority of his career as the number one marking target.

Hansen (57 matches): 746 disposals, 270 marks, 45 goals 33 behinds

Kennedy
(57 matches): 600 disposals, 312 marks, 78 goals, 35 behinds

If Lachie had played a similar amount of games as Kennedy as the number one forward then I believe his figures would be better than Kennedy's.

Agree totally with Tas.

Every team has a bunch of flog supporters who take pride in calling a select couple of whipping boys "shit" each week until they either turn it around (Petrie) or get delisted (Sansbury etc).

Probably due to their extensive experience coaching dreamteam/supercoach many seem to overrate the selection table as the most important function a coach performs, however I think consistency of personnel is far more effective long term that dropping half the squad each week.

Also, doesn't it seem counter-intuitive to "Drop" a player to "Find confidence"? :p

Lachie would have taken 25 marks and kicked 15 goals on the bloke Pederson played on last week and it would not have improved him one iota as an AFL footballer.

It is pretty clear that we have not got the structure/balance right to play Lachy and Drew as a two towers forward line.
Lachy looked much better last year without Dish there.

I am not saying that its causal to all issues, but rather a factor in them.

An example of this is often going inside 50 a kick to a lead will be cut off by a smaller player. Screams it's not working how it should or needs to to maximize scoring.

It's a very sad state of affairs for our club that Thomas and Hansen are walk up starts every week, no wonder we are struggling.

And that defense, pls, where is the creativity?

It can only get better from here.

At least we are building a midfield for the future, serious work to in the other thirds of the ground.

An educated guesstimate would be 20 to 23.

About half of those (10-11) as the number one forward target.

Here is a comparison with a kid that is a year older than Lachie who kicked 10.3 last weekend and has played the vast majority of his career as the number one marking target.

Hansen (57 matches): 746 disposals, 270 marks, 45 goals 33 behinds

Kennedy
(57 matches): 600 disposals, 312 marks, 78 goals, 35 behinds

If Lachie had played a similar amount of games as Kennedy as the number one forward then I believe his figures would be better than Kennedy's.

How many games has Kennedy played as the number one forward?

Considering he's played 20 odd games with Fev, another dozen with Lynch and at just the odd game with an All Australian (who was 3rd in the Coleman) I'd say not many.

Hansen has not had one single tackle in the past 3 games. That is unacceptable!

Now a thinking person might interpret that to mean Lachie has been working his arse off making his opponent follow him all over the ground (i.e. creating space for Petrie and Edwards).

Remove this Banner Ad

How many chances does Lachy Hansen get?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back