Prediction How Many in the TOP 50?

Remove this Banner Ad

Where was Cotch???? below 20 I'd hope.
Wouldn't rate Titch in the top 100, let alone 50 or 20.
Fabulous finals series ... maybe even his best three games in yellow and black, but average at best throughout his entire career.
It's a sore point for many, but should have been dropped multiple times across his career, but was given the Vickery treatment for a long while where performances didn't count.
To clarify, best and fairests are not the be all and end all, but are a decent guide to where you sit at your club. Titch has been top six once in his career ... that's not top 50 or 20 worthy.
For the record, these are the guys I rate ahead of Titch at our club alone, let alone factoring in 17 others.
Martin, Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Lambert, Grimes, Houli, Vlastuin, Grigg, Prestia, Rioli (even after three seasons), Nankervis, Caddy (who I don't rate as highly as others), BEllis, McIntosh and BEllis. Equal 13th in th ebest and fairets is about where he sits.
It’s not a sore point as your suggesting, it’s incorrect!!

Next time you are at a game ‘live’ track him. His run, his vision, his creativity, his use of the ball is sublime. He’s in effect the number one architect of our team.

Does he sometimes turn the ball over, not hit a target or miss a goal ..... yes!! But this is far outweighed by his overall value which is elite.

Many people don’t rate him, but those that follow our team properly know his worth. Your way off the mark here!!

It’s not a sore point as your suggesting, it’s incorrect!!

Next time you are at a game ‘live’ track him. His run, his vision, his creativity, his use of the ball is sublime. He’s in effect the number one architect of our team.

Does he sometimes turn the ball over, not hit a target or miss a goal ..... yes!! But this is far outweighed by his overall value which is elite.

Many people don’t rate him, but those that follow our team properly know his worth. Your way off the mark here!!

Let's just agree to disgaree ... he is nowhere near elite.
I struggle to see how a guy who has one top six best and fairest finish at our club or any club is elite.
You would laugh at me if I suggested the same about a player at GWS, St Kilda or Carlton.

Fabulous finals series ... maybe even his best three games in yellow and black, but average at best throughout his entire career.
It's a sore point for many, but should have been dropped multiple times across his career, but was given the Vickery treatment for a long while where performances didn't count.
To clarify, best and fairests are not the be all and end all, but are a decent guide to where you sit at your club. Titch has been top six once in his career ... that's not top 50 or 20 worthy.
For the record, these are the guys I rate ahead of Titch at our club alone, let alone factoring in 17 others.
Martin, Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Lambert, Grimes, Houli, Vlastuin, Grigg, Prestia, Rioli (even after three seasons), Nankervis, Caddy (who I don't rate as highly as others), BEllis, McIntosh and BEllis. Equal 13th in th ebest and fairets is about where he sits.
Yes but we aren't talking about across his careers, we are talking about right now. Lambert across his career would be down the bottom, but is up the top. Edwards can be brilliant, and can be average, but he had avery good season (not top 50 I agree).

Forget where Titch was, its all about the here and now. If you don't rate him in top 100, then you must be asleep. I get we all rate players differently, but geez that is ridiculous. This just seems to be a grudge valuation to me.

Riewoldt is easily top 50.
Dylan Grimes is there as well. Does he ever lose a contest. Does he ever make a mistake. Does anyone ever score a goal on him. When he leaves his man to cover others it always comes off. Not fashionable to watch, but of the most effective backman in the league, a bit like Doggies Boyd and Morris used to be.
Those two doggy players in Boyd and Morris...top journeymen for the Dogs/Footscray...which makes Grimesy an out and out Champion backman..

Let's just agree to disgaree ... he is nowhere near elite.
I struggle to see how a guy who has one top six best and fairest finish at our club or any club is elite.
You would laugh at me if I suggested the same about a player at GWS, St Kilda or Carlton.
Clearly agree to disagree, I’m not going to pot any of our premiership hero’s to substantiate his case as one of our top half dozen, but as far as team worth, clearly in that group.

Regarding a player at GWS, Saints and Carlton there is no one comparable as I’m comparing his value in a premiership team in a premiership year. After 2017 and given his year and finals series ..... he contributed greatly to our premiership and on the greatest stage of all (where you really get judged) he not only excelled, he was IMO BOG!!

I’m not suggesting he’s the best player in the comp, but your assertion he’s no where near elite, meaning he’s average at best ...... I definitely don’t agree with.

If your holding you hat onto the B&F, seek his worth from the coach who has stated many times his contribution to the team is immense ..... that’s good enough for me!!

Clearly agree to disagree, I’m not going to pot any of our premiership hero’s to substantiate his case as one of our top half dozen, but as far as team worth, clearly in that group.

Regarding a player at GWS, Saints and Carlton there is no one comparable as I’m comparing his value in a premiership team in a premiership year. After 2017 and given his year and finals series ..... he contributed greatly to our premiership and on the greatest stage of all (where you really get judged) he not only excelled, he was IMO BOG!!

I’m not suggesting he’s the best player in the comp, but your assertion he’s no where near elite, meaning he’s average at best ...... I definitely don’t agree with.

If your holding you hat onto the B&F, seek his worth from the coach who has stated many times his contribution to the team is immense ..... that’s good enough for me!!

elite hands for sure. his tackling, closing speed, run and support play must be close to elite

Forget where Titch was, its all about the here and now. If you don't rate him in top 100, then you must be asleep. I get we all rate players differently, but geez that is ridiculous. This just seems to be a grudge valuation to me.

If this is a grudge valuation, what is ranking him inside the top 20.
yes you guessed it .. blinkered and delusional.
It would not be a difficult exercise to find five players at each club superior to Titch .... hence he's be outside the top 100.
That does not make him a spud as you and others keep trying to make out that I am saying.
I have acknowledged he had a fabulous finals series, probably his best three games in yellow and black. His previous three finals were putrid, albeit he had plenty of couple from the captain, BEllis and others. Those games count too, even if you choose to think they didn't happen.
Some choose to acknowledge it but there is chasm between Titch's best and worst and has coasted for considerable periods during his 10 years.
As to my original point, they are not the be all and end all, but you would think a player who is classed as elite would figure prominently in things like best and fairest awards, Brownlow voting, media awards, which he does not, so no one else is giving him great recogntion either. Two top 10 best and fairest finished in 10 years does not make a player elite.
PS I hope he continues the form of last year's finals (but I have doubts as per his consistency). And let you in on a secret, for a poster who is maligned for supposedly hating Titch I have a piece of Edwards memorabilia hanging in my house. But I will give what I cnsider a fair and balanced opinion oin him and any other player based on what I see. Yes, reeading here in recent months, you would be led to believe we have the 22 best players to have ever played the game, but we simply don't.

Yes, but contrary to popular opinion buddy, we are not THE ONLY team to ever win a premiership, akthough you could be forgiven for thinking so reading these threads.
I ask you ..... how do you rate Robert Flower? Tony Lockett? Gary Ablett Sr? Kevin Murray? Bob Skilton?Robert harvey? Nathan Buckley? Matthew Knights? Not a single premiership amongst them. Hacks the lot of them!
Conversely, how about Jamie 'The Freak' Morrissey, Dean Anderson, Clark Keating? All valuable contributors in multiple flags. ELITE!

Looks like the competition doesn’t rate us as a club, doesn’t rate our player and thinks we have no chance of going back to back. I don’t mind that, let them write us off already and under estimate us. #stillhaventbeatenanyonegood

Reckon Edwards over the last 3 seasons has been a lot better than average. He has missed a few with injuries, but he has torn plenty of game apart and is getting more and more consistent. His best season is coming I'd bet on it.

CH Data 2018 prospectus said the Tiges had three elite players, Dusty, Rance and Edwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but contrary to popular opinion buddy, we are not THE ONLY team to ever win a premiership, akthough you could be forgiven for thinking so reading these threads.
I ask you ..... how do you rate Robert Flower? Tony Lockett? Gary Ablett Sr? Kevin Murray? Bob Skilton?Robert harvey? Nathan Buckley? Matthew Knights? Not a single premiership amongst them. Hacks the lot of them!
Conversely, how about Jamie 'The Freak' Morrissey, Dean Anderson, Clark Keating? All valuable contributors in multiple flags. ELITE!
Hey bud ..... you list 3 players from elite teams with elite players all over the park and these guys are foot soldiers.

I’m telling you many tiger fans believe as I do, he’s pivotal to our team and no way a foot soldier. If he doesn’t play, I get concerned we may not win ...... that’s how much I rate him.

I reckon Edwards has elite traits that are extremely important for us.

His vision and ability to release our players from congestion with a slick handball are elite in my books.

But as an overall player he is a few rungs below that elite level.

But that doesn't take away from the fact he is extremely important to us.

If this is a grudge valuation, what is ranking him inside the top 20.
yes you guessed it .. blinkered and delusional.
It would not be a difficult exercise to find five players at each club superior to Titch .... hence he's be outside the top 100.
That does not make him a spud as you and others keep trying to make out that I am saying.
I have acknowledged he had a fabulous finals series, probably his best three games in yellow and black. His previous three finals were putrid, albeit he had plenty of couple from the captain, BEllis and others. Those games count too, even if you choose to think they didn't happen.
Some choose to acknowledge it but there is chasm between Titch's best and worst and has coasted for considerable periods during his 10 years.
As to my original point, they are not the be all and end all, but you would think a player who is classed as elite would figure prominently in things like best and fairest awards, Brownlow voting, media awards, which he does not, so no one else is giving him great recogntion either. Two top 10 best and fairest finished in 10 years does not make a player elite.
PS I hope he continues the form of last year's finals (but I have doubts as per his consistency). And let you in on a secret, for a poster who is maligned for supposedly hating Titch I have a piece of Edwards memorabilia hanging in my house. But I will give what I cnsider a fair and balanced opinion oin him and any other player based on what I see. Yes, reeading here in recent months, you would be led to believe we have the 22 best players to have ever played the game, but we simply don't.
You will notice I didn't say top 50, I could understand others saying he isn't top 50, but I cant see he isnt a top 100 player. As a mid/fwd I see he is within the 50-100 player. I also never said a player not in the 100 top players is a spud either so you have me confused with someone else and that doesn't represent my views. His vision and impact on the play IMHO especially in this modern era of congested midfields is an asset few players have. Not many players today can get the inside ball to the outside as consistently he does and let others run with the ball our way. I also have never said you hated him, not sure why you bring this up, plus you bring CD monikers on him, which is mostly an out side rating and not what most fans have said, so drop this as some sort of thing we are saying. I have never said we have the best list or the best players so again not sure why you bring this up too. I just commented on 1 player rating ie 50 -100 on a player imo is between that rating, and nothing else relating to CD or how elite he is.

The problem with any list that ranks players, by definition individualises their performance, the Brownlow being the most obvious including B&F’s.

As a team you are more likely to achieve and when ego is parked the team benefits. The tigers have clearly benefited from egos being parked and S Edwards is one of the most selfless players on our list.

Is he going to get a top 10 - 50 in the comp ..... No! Because these rankings are based on which INDIVIDUAL dominates games the most, not whether the individual best assists the TEAM to dominate.

Therefore the top 50 individuals and particularly its rational are completely flawed when referencing a team sport.

Taking a wide angel view ..... the 22 premiership players from last year achieved more than any other top 22 in the comp, both individually and collectively.

While a risk that he has a 'down' match due to inconsistency, looking at the 20-50 players chosen so far, I would pick Shane Edwards over every single one of them if we were playing another Grand Final tomorrow.

You're only as good as your last game and he was 3rd BOG in the premiership team, while doing most of his best work in a way you don't notice until the 3rd or 4th replay.

His vision and mind is lightyears ahead of everyone else on that field.

1-2 glaringly bad kicks don't change the fact he plays in a different timezone.

Top 20 for mine, super elite player.

Hey bud ..... you list 3 players from elite teams with elite players all over the park and these guys are foot soldiers.

I’m telling you many tiger fans believe as I do, he’s pivotal to our team and no way a foot soldier. If he doesn’t play, I get concerned we may not win ...... that’s how much I rate him.

Yes foot soldiers, but good ones ... or perhaps elite, if you think being in the top thre eor fouyr players in a grand final makes you elite, which is the argument someone used.
Use that argument and freaking Shane Ellen - five goals in a grand final - is a Hall of Famer!!!

His vision and ability to release our players from congestion with a slick handball are elite in my books.

Now this I can buy!

I think it was the 4th quarter against the LolNorf aflw side last week, running around the boundary with a LolNorf player trying to tackle him and force him out, arms stretched as far as he could with ball in hand so it didn't go over, in a split second he transferred the ball from left to right hand and handballed with his left back into play to our advantage. Only the best of the best have the time and split second ability at decision making to do that.

CH Data rated him elite in this years 2018 prospectus

CH Data rated him elite in this years 2018 prospectus

Yeah I don't agree with a lot of the info CD produce, and that is one of those times.

Don' get me wrong I love titch and he is very important to our side. I love his in close work, huge fan.

But as a complete player I don' think he should be classed as elite.

His foot skills really let him down a lot as he keeps trying to kick across his body.

He definitely has elite traits though and I'm glad he is playing for us!

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction How Many in the TOP 50?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back