How many of you are Journalists?

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see this thread still recieving reponses.

I am off to the local paper to see about work experiance tomorrow.

Great to see this thread still recieving responses.

I am off to the local paper to see about work experiance tomorrow...

ben.carbonaro said:
I'm actually at Tafe, Eddie.

Also, do you have to done a degree to get a cadetship?

Interships at Herald Sun etc you don't, what about other media organisations?

On another note, please stop giving Edddie a hard time Sexiano because all you do is poke fun at some misfortunate or lack of ability in some areas.

I bet you are a perfect person.

Excuse me Benjamin, I was merely providing evidence as prompted by JoffaBoy's statements.

Im thinking of completing a Journalism course if I can finish off my Sports Development.

ben.carbonaro said:
On another note, please stop giving Edddie a hard time Sexiano because all you do is poke fun at some misfortunate or lack of ability in some areas.

I bet you are a perfect person.

He is just an obsessed moron, before he started those crap threads I had never even noticed him on the board. Oh well, although he did prove Joffaboy wrong :)

If local cricket isnt counting as playing the game Sexiano, what is? Or are the only people who actually play the game those playing for Australia? :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eddiesmith said:
Oh yeah, our club has teams in every grade :rolleyes:

Also love how you use 1 game to say what level I play at :rolleyes:

And I thought I used selective stats :p

You've played more than one game in J Grade, and we both know it. Lying to save your skin is pretty poor.

End of.

I'm a journo.

I cover motorsport in a number of areas and local football for the local paper.

I'm from Victoria and I have been to Sydney two times to complete work experience with a national motorsport publication (I'm in year 11).

I have had stories publicated on backpages of papers a number of occasions and my folio is absolutely huge.

However - one thing I have learnt that I would like to point out is that it is highly unprofessional to be posting on message boards and forums if you are covering that area.

So if you want to be an AFL writer, I suggest highly when that does some to fruition, stop posting on forums and boards because your boss will not like that if he/she finds out.

Have worked as a journo, but not for many years. The dearth of jobs caused by rationalisation of the media dealt a blow to any ambitions in this area. This is still an issue, IMO, as far as job prospects are concerned. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying who is passionate enough though.

The advice to obtain a degree is accurate, though not necessarily in journalism. An Arts degree with an emphasis on the liberal arts will be just as useful. However, it won't give you the automatic advantage of being able to say you were accepted into say, RMIT. It is notoriously difficult to gain acceptance into the RMIT course. From my limited knowledge, I believe they actually have some sort of an entrance exam., though this info. may be out of date. Do consider Deakin as an alternative. It was once a very good uni. I believe it may also be possible to do it by correspondence. These are things you must research.

The purpose of the degree is not necessarily to advance your job prospects, as such. You'd be better to look at it as a method of being able to say with confidence to yourself, and anyone else who enquires, that you are able to complete a task which you're set, with some competence, if not distinction, on time. You should be looking for an opportunity to find out HOW to think, not what to think. Be prepared to make some mistakes in the subjects you select to do in the course. Don't be discouraged if it appears you've made wrong decisions, this is all part of the learning. Particularly, it is ESSENTIAL that you NEVER take ANY notice of ANYONE who becomes disaffected by the course you are both studying. Because it's not what suits them, should have no effect on your opinion of your chosen field of study.

Above all though, you must have a vision of what it is you're trying to achieve and remain steadfast in its pursuit. A hangover will become merely another obstacle in achieving what you really want to do. While everyone else is out on the tiles you will have to become a professional bore, at times.

As has been previously stated, a portfolio of work, published if possible, is a necessity. This not only shows you are able to write, but should give the impression that it is a compulsion to do so. IMO, the necessity to show the compulsion disorder is B/S, but it's one method by which people in the industry will measure you.

Further good advice has been given in relation to gaining as wide a span of different media experience as possible. Radio is a magnificent medium in which to work, apart from the people who work in it. Don't be too precious to do some P.R. either. It's important to learn how to sell your ideas.

A question you must ask yourself is, "Why am I doing this?" If it's because it seems like fun and you get to cavort abroad and impress famous people, or you want to get the best seats at sporting and cultural events, maybe you should seek a career elsewhere.

If it's because you have an abiding interest and a particular insight into what it is that makes humans of interest to others. If it's because, as a journalist, you have an opportunity to ask very personal questions of interesting people, who, no matter who they are, will always try to create a good impression with you, then maybe you should. The singular, most fascinating thing I took out of my experience as a writer, was that just about everyone is flattered to be asked about their lives and for their opinions, for publication.

There are exceptions to this. This is called investigative journalism.

A final note. To those of our persuasion, there are few things better than to see your byline atop something you've slaved over, sometimes for months or years.

The best advice I ever received was from the bloke who wrote 'The Coach', John Powers. He said, "There is no such thing as writing, only rewriting". Like all writers I know, he probably stole it from someone else. That's another piece of advice - if you're going to steal, make sure it's from the best.

Edit: The use of "Swinburne" makes no sense in this diatribe, thus it's now deleted. It should have read, "RMIT". See, I told you there was only rewriting.

BTW, both Swinburne and RMIT have excellent Radio Production courses which lead to degree status.

Remove this Banner Ad

How many of you are Journalists?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back