How many of you are too young to remember the 'glory days'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Guess the name gives it away but my first memory is the 71 grand final. You probably feel sory for my age but I think I was born in the perfect time!

Loved all the great times but funny enough I remember the worst I ever felt more than the good times. That 84 grannie v the Bombers when they when nuts in the last quarter. God that was awful. Never let that hate towards the Bombers go. Bastards!!

I guess my most disliked teams stem from GF losses. Bombers 84,85, Carlton 87 and Kangas 75.

The only thing I have going for me is I was born in 1982 and was alive for the glory of the 80s, I however was not quite old enough to truly understand what a premiership meant to me and I am not sure I even watched the Hawthorn Eagles grand final as for some reason I don't recall watching it. I know I watched Collingwood the year before and Geelong lose to the Eagles the year after.

Footy was never that big in my household, since it was a household filled with women (mum, me and my sister and sometimes Nan).

So watching finals now I have a total understanding of what it means to me, which is quite a lot.

Go Hawks!

I remember watching it and I was living in this very house that I am in at the moment(At my parents place here in Mt Helen Vic) I watched it with a few family friends and I was 12 years old. Good to see that one of the mods here isn't afraid to tell us that he's only 19 years old. Onya phil.

I was born in 1984, so the only grand final I've been to is the 1991 Angry Anderson Spectacular. I remember the day, I remember how packed the crowd was and how generally nice the West Coast fans were (I guess they were the rich ones who had flown over to see the game). I can't remember too much of the game, just remember Dermie and the Rat as they were my favourite players at the time.

So I was alive for alot of Grand Finals, but missed them all. My Dad has been to every Hawks grand final we've ever played in, and my mum has been to every one since 1970.

Sometimes I wish I was born 5-10 years earlier, but I do appreciate that the Hawks have finally come good, I'm 24 and I feel it's the perfect age to start celebrating premierships as:

A) You can just afford to go
B) You are still carrying that drinking problem from your Uni days
C) You can still play football
D) No young family or wife to hold you back
E) Not working as hard as 30+ year olds
F) You have the energy to make Celebrations last 52 hours
G) Point B again

I was born in 1984, so the only grand final I've been to is the 1991 Angry Anderson Spectacular. I remember the day, I remember how packed the crowd was and how generally nice the West Coast fans were (I guess they were the rich ones who had flown over to see the game). I can't remember too much of the game, just remember Dermie and the Rat as they were my favourite players at the time.

So I was alive for alot of Grand Finals, but missed them all. My Dad has been to every Hawks grand final we've ever played in, and my mum has been to every one since 1970.

Sometimes I wish I was born 5-10 years earlier, but I do appreciate that the Hawks have finally come good, I'm 24 and I feel it's the perfect age to start celebrating premierships as:

A) You can just afford to go
B) You are still carrying that drinking problem from your Uni days
C) You can still play football
D) No young family or wife to hold you back
E) Not working as hard as 30+ year olds
F) You have the energy to make Celebrations last 52 hours
G) Point B again

:D Nice one Nev! I'd totally forgotten about the Angry Anderson thing...sheesh. You're right - being 35 I'm unlikely to party for 52 hours if we win, and having 2 kids under 3 and living interstate makes getting to games exceedingly difficult, so enjoy it while you can!!

I sound pretty soft there, don't I?;)

I've only ever been to one Grand Final which was the 91 one at Waverley. The Eagles were really the best team that year but they didn't cope very well with the finals pressure.

I remember painstakingly copying the 89 Grand Final onto vhs tape from the tele. Pausing through all the ads. Only to find after it was over that I hadn't set it up properly and all I had on the tape was static. It still causes me pain to think of it.

I was in primary/early secondary school for the glory days so never got to celebrate in style.

The longer the wait, the more tasty the first celebratory drink will be and I think its been long enough!

Born in september 88 so cant remember a thing about the couple of flags we won after.

My bday is on Grand Final day this year so lets home the boys bring it home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha, that's same as my cousin! He also didn't get named Australia. :D

And LP :thumbsu: great birthday. :)

Theres a few of us bi-centennial bubs kicking around ;)

Im happy I was born in 1988.

Grew up through the 90's, saw some finals action, some glimpses...grew up with Crawford and Dunstall.

Went through a lot of crap though...cried after the 2001 prelim!

But its all good. Im 20, and it looks as if the Hawks are about to step into another golden era. Couldnt be happier :)

Born in 1956. I have really, really scratchy memories of 61 Grand Final. But as a seven year old I remember crying my eyes out when Geelong beat us in 1963 - listened to it on the radio. I then also remember the dog days of the mid-60s and often watching games at the mudheap that was Glenferrie.

Definitely remember 1971 the tradgedy of Knights doing his knee in the 2nd semi? and the joy as we stormed over the Saints. The rest as they say is history. Hopefully we can make some more this year:thumbsu:

Geez, how old do I feel. :(

Heard the 71 GF on Radio and have seen the Hawks win the big dance in 76,78,83,86,88,89,91.

I remember being in my prime in the 80s and being drunk all the time while bathing in the glory of the Mighty Hawks Machine.

It's been a long time between drinks for this poor old 45yo.

Sounds familiar....but I'm much younger only 44. Saw the 71 team play here in Adelaide. Moved to Melbourne in 76 and loved the Hawks ever since, even when I came back to Adelaide mid 80's. Saw us win in 86 and lose in 87.

Barracking for the Crows was NEVER an option

Born in 1978 - Great Year!
Went to 1986, dont remember lots of the game, but remember some guy a few rows in front of us in the old Southern stand, he was standing up, turning to face those behind him and getting the chant going.
Went to 1987 - Sad, remember all of it. Also remember my dad saying that we'll never win two in a row now.
Went to 1998, sat up behind the goals in the southern stand. My older cousin stood me up on the seat to see the streaker! Remember the game really well.
Went in 1989 - Sat on the top of the ponsford stand. Remember looking at the clock on the scoreboard (which was almost right next to us) and seeing 36:04 or something and thinking, its gotta end. Then it did!
Went in 1991 - Too old, too slow, blah, too good. Sat on level 1 behind the point post and commented the last quarter, much to the amusement of my dad's mates (I was only 13).

I too grew up in the glory days and thought Hawthorn played 24 or 25 games a year no matter what! Guess I was lucky to have a dad that wanted me to go to every grand final I could, mind you mum was at them all too. Dad has seen every grand final Hawthorn has played in, winning or losing. He has his gold membership again this year and hasn't been to a game. He is going to the Grand Final if we make it though!

Went to the 83 Grand Final when I was six with my dad and older brother. The old man gave us a bit of a talk about how this may be a once in a lifetime experience and enjoy it, went to the next six GFs - Idiot!!:D

Also went to 91.

Unfortunately won't be there this year, Go Hawks!!

Born 1973.

Grew up in NSW and had no exposure to football until 1984 when I moved to Albury, aged 10. Started following Hawthorn after we lost the 1984 GF.

Missed 1986, 1988, 1989 and 1991 due to soccer finals.

Have obviously seen all of those matches but have never seen Hawthorn win a GF in "real time." That is, until this year where I will be watching from somewhere inside the MCG.

I was born in 1988 which was a great year for Hawthorn. We won the pre-season comp and the grand final by a record margin (at the time). Unfortunatly I can not remember any grand finals, I was just a little too young to remember '91 unfortunatly. :(

I was born at the end of 85. I can't really remember but i think i was about 6 or 7 when i first was saw Dunstall play and was hooked from there on. So probabably about 92. Have never seen (or can't remember)Hawthorn in a grand final.

Collegue has told me he has some "family issues" and has to go overseas which means that I will have to work GF day if we end up playing. If i dont resign I am bringing a TV into the shop and they can go and get ****ed if they try and stop me.:thumbsu:

I was born in April '83. Being the only boy in the family (2 older sisters) I followed Dad's passion and grew up being a Carlton supporter.

Sadly, Dad would never take me along to any games. He was your traditional 'armchair' supporter.

Mum was a mad Hawthorn supporter and would go to every game. As a football fanatic I just wanted to go and watch and decided I would go along (although it wasn't my team). I would say I seriously started supporting the hawks through the mid 90's

I soon become brainwashed and have never looked back.

I went as far as getting a tattoo of the hawk logo (at the time) for my 21st birthday present. I love this club and am looking forward to the upcoming years of greatness.

I can remember the watching the 71 replay in black and white that night. (No live finals back then)
Mum and Dad had friends over for "Grand Final Night" drinks and everyone acted like they didnt know the final score.
We all screamed with every one of Huddo's misses as he tried to break 150 goals and win the match.
I Developed my hate for "Big Carl" and "The Cowboy" that day and marvelled at the skills of Stewie Trott (who joined the Hawks a few years later).

That night, in worship of my heros, I wore my Hawks jumper and beanie to bed and stared at my posters of Huddo and Parkin in the half dark till I fell asleep.

My First Hawks Premiership team. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

How many of you are too young to remember the 'glory days'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back