How much do we make per game at the MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember reading that 87k at the MCG would made us around 750k (the Geelong game), Geelong also said they needed 75k at the MCG to make as much as one home game at skilled (which they make around 600k per game). Basic maths results roughly in the following sequence

-87,000 people = 750k profit
-75,000 people = 600k profit
-63,000 people = 450k profit
-51,000 people = 300k profit
-39,000 people = 150k profit
-27,000 peple = break even

Of course these numbers are rough as crowd isn't everything, eg when you play Melbourne and you get 40,000 you make less money than when you play Sydney and get 40,000, the reason being the number of MCC members attending. Also you then have to factor in the number of members attending vs gate receipts and corporate sales.

I remember reading that 87k at the MCG would made us around 750k (the Geelong game), Geelong also said they needed 75k at the MCG to make as much as one home game at skilled (which they make around 600k per game). Basic maths results roughly in the following sequence

Of course these numbers are rough as crowd isn't everything, eg when you play Melbourne and you get 40,000 you make less money than when you play Sydney and get 40,000, the reason being the number of MCC members attending. Also you then have to factor in the number of members attending vs gate receipts and corporate sales.

Nice work!

Better than not contributing at all, mate.

Well done. :thumbsu:

Had a quantitative methods exam at uni today, so I've been taking mathematically stabs all day.

The way I understand it though is in terms of the MCG tennants they are all pretty much better stadium deal wise than the Dome tennants (Essendon aside). Then at the MCG Collingwood/Melbourne have superior deals to Hawthorn/Richmond.

On another note people can say all they want about North vs Essendon and their deals at the dome, the facts are though Essendon draw the numbers, they demand the best deal, and because of this demand they allocate their seating different to North, meaning they charge more for tickets, eg with North all level 3 pretty much is a standard $20 odd per seat, whereas with Essendon earlier this year I tried to buy a ticket on level 3 and the front 15 or so rows were priced at $30 odd. So basically forgetting how much money TD gives back to clubs. If Essendon get 50k at the dome and North get 50k at the dome, Essendon generate more revenue, hence they would expect a better deal.

So taking the rough estimations into account, we basically made;

750k (Geelong), 600k (Collingwood), 300k (Sydney) 250k (Richmond) 150k x 2(North and Melbourne) and break even on West Coast not taking into account AFL/MCC members etc. etc.

Say we get 450k for every Tasmanian game we play (game package component of the sponsorship) we effectively generate $4m ($2.2m from MCG games) for our 11 home games.

Of course that doesn't take into account spiraling revenue generated from 60,000+ crowds.

Had a quantitative methods exam at uni today, so I've been taking mathematically stabs all day.

The way I understand it though is in terms of the MCG tennants they are all pretty much better stadium deal wise than the Dome tennants (Essendon aside). Then at the MCG Collingwood/Melbourne have superior deals to Hawthorn/Richmond.

On another note people can say all they want about North vs Essendon and their deals at the dome, the facts are though Essendon draw the numbers, they demand the best deal, and because of this demand they allocate their seating different to North, meaning they charge more for tickets, eg with North all level 3 pretty much is a standard $20 odd per seat, whereas with Essendon earlier this year I tried to buy a ticket on level 3 and the front 15 or so rows were priced at $30 odd. So basically forgetting how much money TD gives back to clubs. If Essendon get 50k at the dome and North get 50k at the dome, Essendon generate more revenue, hence they would expect a better deal.

The AFL and its ASD funding scheme losses all creditablity right there. Its a joke how a club that draws considerably fewer patrons, corproate support, membership etc. has a more favourable tenancy then the 'lesser tenants'

The AFL and its ASD funding scheme losses all creditablity right there. Its a joke how a club that draws considerably fewer patrons, corproate support, membership etc. has a more favourable tenancy then the 'lesser tenants'
the only reason the MFC has a significantly better deal is because they still have large connections to the MCC. if they did not have the MCC connection, they would get jack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the only reason the MFC has a significantly better deal is because they still have large connections to the MCC. if they did not have the MCC connection, they would get jack

Can you explain this as I dont get it

Why would they get a better deal due to more MCG members attending? How is that more profitable for them? Surely they would prefer more non members and thus gate takings which I assume they get a cut on.

Or is it done out of some historical connection rather than financial basis?

No matter as Hawkk notes its a joke.

How they can get a better draw than Richmond and Hawthorn as well as their Collingwood charity every year AND huge AFL cash is beyond me.

Is it really any coincidence they share colours with the French?

Reading the story about the Dogs, it makes me wonder - how much do we get at the MCG per game?

I recall "Marty Ralston" at a Sydney Function stating that we need around 40k to BE at the G.

The Tassie deal is so good because no matter how many turn up, the Gov write a check for 500k every game. Hence playing low drawing Team in Tassie.

In accordance with the HFC Annual Report, HFC's match day income increased 91% on last years figure

Code:
Revenue                                                2008          2007
AFL Distribution and Prize Money                    7,485,792      6,703,257
Membership and Match Day Income                     9,541,916      6,804,244
Marketing and Merchandise Income                    17,257,360     13,149,248
Gaming, bar and bistro revenue                      4,543,754      4,824,891
Donations and special fundraiser efforts            255,394        300,299
Rental income from property investments             310,535      
[B]Total Revenue [/B]                                      39,394,711     31,781,993
Sundry Income                                       95,333         65,694
Government Grant Income                             900,000
Net gain of sale of non current assets held for sale              569,309
Total revenue and other income                     40,390,044     32,416,934

The club doesn't give a split of match day income and membership income

Just bumping this out of interest if anyone has any idea what a potential full house against the magpies would mean financially for us now? Noting suggestions of around $750k for an 87k crowd back in 2008. Be nice to get a few extra dollars to sink into the dingley project 😊

Just bumping this out of interest if anyone has any idea what a potential full house against the magpies would mean financially for us now? Noting suggestions of around $750k for an 87k crowd back in 2008. Be nice to get a few extra dollars to sink into the dingley project 😊
Ticket prices have probably doubled since 2008. We should make well over $1m.

It depends on who attends the match. If 80k hawk members show up it is a terrible result for the club (from a purely financial perspective) as we have already received the funds in form of membership dues. There is a little bit of uplift from share of F&B sales.

If 5k Hawk members show up and the balance is Collingwood or Hawk non-members then we make a motza.

It depends on who attends the match. If 80k hawk members show up it is a terrible result for the club (from a purely financial perspective) as we have already received the funds in form of membership dues. There is a little bit of uplift from share of F&B sales.

If 5k Hawk members show up and the balance is Collingwood or Hawk non-members then we make a motza.
We also get some/most of the extra that non reserved seat members pay for a seat. There was minimal GA available for this week, and adults reserved seats were $45 - $100, so take away the $27 member discount and there is still $20 - $70 coming in for the school adult member upgrading.

I would like to know why the club has not sold standing room this week. That would increase the crowd by another 3k - 5k.

Remove this Banner Ad

How much do we make per game at the MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back