Expansion How the West will be won

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite a few, in Melbournes under 20's side?
Under age comps don't count, obviously. Otherwise we could include all the NSW and Qld players in their respesctive state sides as AFL players (e.g the NSW Rams that play today against the Murray Bushrangers, which also have NSW players making up about half their side, in Albury today).

...One would think they will actually play for Melbourne when they reach top grade, as they are from Melbourne.

How many Collingwood players play for Collingwood?
Richmond players for Richmond?
St Kilda etc......

?
And how many that play for Melboure Under 20's live in the boundaries of the city of Melbourne (which is the CBD and not much else)?? Another idiot post by NESCRI, the fearful troll.

The fact remains - current Victorian raised players in the whole NRL = 0.

nescri makes a good point, there are no collingwood born and bred players, they're all taken from other areas. As for Melbourne players, i know there is Jeremy Smith and Timana Tahu or however you spell his name, though he's crossed over to union now.

nescri makes a good point, there are no collingwood born and bred players, they're all taken from other areas. As for Melbourne players, i know there is Jeremy Smith and Timana Tahu or however you spell his name, though he's crossed over to union now.

Thats because the AFL has a National Draft which means you dont usually have alot of local players in teams. A player born and raised in Collingwood has just as much chance of being picked by the Brisbane Lions as he does being picked by Collingwood. You are trying to compare apples and oranges.

nescri makes a good point, there are no collingwood born and bred players, they're all taken from other areas.
Another rubbish post. Collingwood isn't based in Collingwood (a tiny suburb of about 5,000). Its based in the city of Melbourne - and plays its home games in the city of Melbourne. Its tens of thousands of supporters that attend there every home game (and many away - their average crowd is over 62,000 per game at the 'G since the start of last year) come from all over the state. Most of their players come from Melbourne, so to state "they're all taken from other areas" is just total crap.

...As for Melbourne players, i know there is Jeremy Smith and Timana Tahu or however you spell his name, though he's crossed over to union now.
Well using that ridiculous Collingwood criteria, unless the Storm players were born and raised in the Melbourne CBD, they can't count as Melbourne players!!

Anyway, to again repeat - It's Irrelevent where they're born, its where they're raised and developed in their sporting prowess that counts (i.e. applying SOO rules). This is the criteria I used in the threads on Queensland, NSW, Tasmanian and NT players in the AFL threads. e.g. from the Tasmanian players in the AFL thread -
... Chuck in Nick Riewoldt, Ricky Petterd, even David Neitz (believe he was born in Ulverstone)
I replied -
...Sorry, but I’m not adding players just because they were born in Tasmania then moved when only small children - it’s where they grew up and played their junior football that counts. ...
I also dropped Peter Burgoyne from the NT list, even though he lived there with his father, and was recruited from a NT club, on the grounds that he spent some more time between the age of 11-17 in Sth Aust than in the NT.

The point of all these threads are - where were these players raised and developed. FTR -

Queensland raised players in the AFL - 50

NSW raised players in the AFL - 37

Tasmanian raised players in the AFL - 24

NT raised players in the AFL - 24

Compared to -
Victorian raised players in the NRL - nil

The point of all these threads are - where were these players raised and developed. FTR -

Compared to -

How many NZ raised and developed players are in the AFL?

there's no Victorians in the NRL because Victorians don't play much rugby league. there's no New Zealanders in the AFL because New Zealanders don't play much australian rules football

Except the NRL have a team in Victoria while the AFL dont have a team in New Zealand.

How do AFL fans choose which team they follow in Melbourne?

Obviously i dont live in Victoria but i think most Victorians choose a team based on what team their parents follow/followed.

Another rubbish post. Collingwood isn't based in Collingwood (a tiny suburb of about 5,000). Its based in the city of Melbourne - and plays its home game in the city of Melbourne. Its tens of thousands of supporters that attend there every home game (and many away - their average crowd is over 62,000 per game at the 'G since the start of last year) come from all over the state. Most of their players come from Melbourne, so to state "they're all taken from other areas" is just total crap.

Well using that ridiculous Collingwood criteria, unless the Storm players were born and raised in the Melbourne CBD, they can't count as Melbourne players!!

Anyway, to again repeat - It's Irrelevent where they're born, its where they're raised and developed in their sporting prowess that counts (i.e. applying SOO rules). This is the criteria I used in the threads on Queensland, NSW, Tasmanian and NT players in the AFL threads. e.g. from the Tasmanian players in the AFL thread -
I replied -
I also dropped Peter Burgoyne from the NT list, even though he lived there with his father, and was recruited from a NT club, on the grounds that he spent some more time between the age of 11-17 in Sth Aust than in the NT.

Compared to -

Keep trotting out those BS NSW numbers.

Virtually all of them are from Southern NSW where AFL has always been played.

How many AFL players began their careers from Sydney?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's quite obvious that the reason in the growth of AFL would be due to the migration north of people from southern states. If you were to look into the players families you would see this.

People from NSW and QLD just don't move the other way in any great numbers.

Keep trotting out those BS NSW numbers.

Virtually all of them are from Southern NSW where AFL has always been played.

How many AFL players began their careers from Sydney?

Lenny Hays, Lewis Roberts Thompson (Lurch with a blonde wig), Leo Barry

I'm pretty sure there is more.

I dont have the eact figure (im sure Professor Knowall does) but from memory i think 12 of those 37 NSW players were rasied in Sydney.

Its just a spin tactic which the rugby associated press has used for decades.

Australian Rules (or more recently "AFL") is a southern game only played by dumbass Victorians. Despite the fact that the game was played by a lot of people in Sydney before the first world war. There are footy clubs in Sydney which are older than the oldest rugby league clubs in areas which are considered rugby league strongholds.

Not to mention that the first laws of football were written and devised by two men from NSW!

For the same reasons they try and destroy the 150th anniversary of Australia's indigenous game. "First AFL game was Rugby". This despite Alfred Deakin, the Australian Prime Minster (not the Victorian Premier), praising the 50th aniversry of football 100 years ago - yes 100 years ago.

We in Victoria don't chose an AFL team.

My father is Hawthorn. I am Hawthorn. My kids are Hawthorn. Location matters little. My grandkids will be Hawthorn.

No choice. It's in the blood. We all have a team. It's just what happens.

Like Italians are born Catholic.

Most kids take up their dad's team.

We in Victoria don't chose an AFL team.

My father is Hawthorn. I am Hawthorn. My kids are Hawthorn. Location matters little. My grandkids will be Hawthorn.

No choice. It's in the blood. We all have a team. It's just what happens.

Like Italians are born Catholic.

Most kids take up their dad's team.

Just as a point of interest, that is an often overlooked but major cultural difference between AFL and NRL fans. NRL is heavily based on local area pride and tribalism.
- There is no draft so local people tend to end up playing for the local team.
- Fans usually know who the local raised players are, and cheer for them a little bit harder.
- Every team except the Rabbitohs still plays out of genuine home grounds that are actually in their area. (and a lot of Rabbitohs fans aren't happy about it)
- Smaller cities like Gosford demand their own teams instead of following Sydney ones.
- State of Origin is the most passionate event of the year.

Obviously some NRL fans don't follow their local team - and usually that is because they follow their dad's team. But its far less common.

There's a saying I've heard a few times: 'Never trust a man who doesn't support his local team'.
I've only heard it used jokingly, but it shows that a negative slant is put on not following the local team in NRL areas. I can't imagine anyone in Melbourne saying that to me.

Here we go yet again - more mythbusting.
Keep trotting out those BS NSW numbers...
How BS? But as you insist, here (once again) is the complete list of 37, showing which AFL club they are now with, and where in NSW they were recruited from. As already stated, the criteria used is where they were raised and developed as players. Post #50 - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424256&page=4
... Virtually all of them are from Southern NSW where AFL has always been played.
OK, lets ignore for now the 50 Queenslanders in the AFL from a state with no traditional Australian Football regions, and stick with NSW -

Southern NSW is still in NSW ( which I well know as I lived there. They absolutely do not consider themselves as Victorians) . Furthermore, parts of Southern NSW used to be predominantly rugby league up until fairly recent times e.g. Wagga Wagga, where Australian Football has overtaken league in participation and spectators only in the last 10-15 years.

And 22 southerners out of 37 is nowhere near "virtually all". Here’s the 15 from Sydney (12) and other non-traditional Australian Football areas, starting with the 12 from Sydney -

1. Henry Playfair, Sydney, North Shore

2. Lewis Roberts-Thompson, Sydney, North Shore

3. Ryan Davis, West Coast, North Shore

4. Khan Haretuku, St Kilda, Eastern Suburbs

5. Mark McVeigh, Essendon, Pennant Hills

6. Jarrad McVeigh, Sydney, Pennant Hills

7. Lenny Hayes, St Kilda, Pennant Hills

8. Keiran Jack, Sydney, Pennant Hills

9. James Wilson, North Melb, St George

10. Nick Davis, Sydney, St George

11. Dylan Addison, Western Bulldogs, St George

12. Paul Bevan, Sydney, Western Suburbs

Other non traditional Australian Football regions -

1. Craig Bird, Sydney, Nelson Bay (Port Stephens)

2. Sam Gilbert, St Kilda, Lismore

3. Ed Barlow, Sydney, Bega

... How many AFL players began their careers from Sydney?
ALL 12 Sydney players listed above were raised in Sydney, had their junior development playing Australian Football in Sydney, and were drafted from Sydney clubs. Thats the criteria I've used for all states.
Furthermore, how many NSW boys were drafted?... Stop overplaying it.
All AFL players are drafted one way or another. That's the only way to become an AFL player. So the answer is ... 37.
It's quite obvious that the reason in the growth of AFL would be due to the migration north of people from southern states. If you were to look into the players families you would see this.
The only one I know for sure in this category is Nick Davis, whose father moved to Sydney after finishing his career at Collingwood. Kieran Jack’s background is well known to all here. Sam Gilberts grandfather played RL for St George. Paul Bevan’s geat uncle was a RL legend, Khan Haretuku has a rugby league background before switching to Australian Football, Lewis Roberts-Thompson has a rugby union background. Southern NSW players are, of course, all locals.

So virtually none are due to Southern migration - only Nick Davis that I know for sure (and even that dumbass party boy left, so he can hardly now count as a "Victorian", when he went to such lengths to walk out on Collingwood just so he could return to his home in Sydney :mad: ).

People from NSW and QLD just don't move the other way in any great numbers.
That is no longer true .
There is a substantial net loss in immigration in NSW .
Victoria is actually attracting a lot of immigration these days .

:confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion How the West will be won

Remove this Banner Ad

Back