Preview How to beat Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the biggest key for us is to play unencumbered footy. On Friday our guys played like a team suffocating under the weight of expectation and that was to some extent true of the game against the Eagles as well. Our guys need to play free of expectation if we are to beat the cats. The thing I noticed almost more than anything about Collingwood on Friday night was that the guys were second guessing themselves all over the place. It's been a long time since I've seen Collingwood players fail to take so many first options in favour of a second thought and that cost us dearly. I can recall a couple of occasions where the player with the ball should have had a shot and instead chose to handpass to a team mate under pressure. Dawes particularly comes to mind although the issue wasn't limited to the forwards. So many times a quick disposal to the first option down back would have seen us go coast to coast but instead players weren't prepared to trust their instincts and chose instead to hold up play. This is not how Collingwood got to where it is and I hope like hell Mick can knock that out of the guys this week.

Put simply if Jolly is not right he does not play.

Malthouse will address this wioth Cameron Wood.
For if Cam Wood thinks he is ready to try and become our next number one ruckman what better way to show his wares on the biggest stage of the year.Wood will have to play the game of his life,this is a premiership at stake and history in the making .If he takes Jolly's place,he must hold his own.

Goldsac must come in for either a beams or someone cos Goldy is a proven finals performer and has the strength and speed we need plus he is surety in case someone like Reid doesn't last out the game.
The big plus with Goldsac is that he can play multiple positions and is extra reliable we need a quick side aginst geelong.

Weather prediction for the grand Final is very wet.Big bodies will count.

We beat them through pressure, to put it simply, just like we have when we have beaten them over the past 4-5 years, on those very rare occasions.

Geelong are not a great foot skilled side, they are not, players like Christensen (53% on the weekend), Corey (47%, first game back, won't get much better), West (56%), Hawkins (50%). Ling (57%) and the over rated receiver in Varcoe (58%) are flawed, and can be exploited.

And those percentages occurred in a game that had about 40% of the pressure that the Grand Final will have.

We will hit them hard, we will tackle hard, we will harass, and if we do, we can win.

They are not unbeatable, the round 8 game showed that when we played poorly early yet should have won, and Sydney also showed them up as a team that struggles under intense pressure if you place it early.

If Johnson doesn't play, they will be going in with a weaker side then what most are actually talking about, West got slaughtered by NicNat, and if Cox had of been fit, he would have been killed by him too.

They are missing Vardy, who could be a superstar, and also Menzel, who will be a star, and this hurts them also, and can be an area to exploit.

They used Ottens sparingly also, something you do not do in a knockout final unless that player has pre existing injury concerns.

They are ripe for the beating, we are on the up, they are coming off a practice match, they will not be able to match us for 4 quarters, if we maintain our effort and intensity, WE WIN.:thumbsu:

Totally agree matty !

If we play hard tough footy we win !

Mick Malthouse explained it this way on the channel 7 footy show.

Most of the boys said to Mlathouse after the hawks win that that was the game they all had to have because so many players came into this finals series with some stress of the expectation of making it to the grand final and going back to back.

Now that we are in the Grand final Malthouse said that the players have freed up their minds and are ready to play open footy without that added stress of making it to the big dance.We are there now and the tough way we got there has given them their belief in going all the way again.

Its like what leon said in a recent interview that the players want to hold that cup up again.The thinking is winning it not just getting there.

I would start Didak on the ground and only play him deep forward with the krak.

Both should get some advantage at the feet of cloke,dawes,and brown.

If jolly isn't right play WOOD no choice.As long as wood holds his we will be right.

Put Ben Johnson to Heavily tag Selwood.

Also rotate Heath Shaw and Dale Thomas on wojinski.

We need to stop their run,with menzel out,and johnson no where near 100% i can't see them kicking a winning score.Their fire power is limited to
Pods and Hawkins and baldy chapman.

We need more goals from the krak,didak,thomas,pendles,swan,wee man.
For us to win our smaller players must kick goals to help dawes and cloke.If they contribute we win.

In Round 24, Cats players especially Back line and Midfield Had NO PRESSURE disposing the ball. In result, the In and Under players got the ball cleanly to an open man, then delivered it to the corridor to another open man, who then kicked it DEEP into a one on one situation with a loose Cats player waiting for a goal kick attempt.

They executed everything quick, to avoid pressure. It affected their accuracy but didnt matter when you are getting an ATTEMPT at the goal every minute.

The Pies need to have Cats disposing the ball under PRESSURE almost every time. Because you let them cleanly dispose the ball means they dispose for a well placed scoring opportunity.

HOW TO BEAT GEELONG: (taken from rd 9 2008)

On that night Rocca played a massive role. He played as a decoy, dragging scarlett up the field and isolating their backline. Most importantly, if we can do this on saturday, isolating cloke v taylor and dawes v lonergan, we will win. Scarlett plays well when the opposition don't make him accountable. This is a must on Saturday. Thoughts?

To win this Saturday we have to take chances & back ourselves. if we play a safe brand of football around the boundary i do not see us winning.

I do think there are a few areas we can target ;

- Shutdown Scarlett - He is incredible in reading the play and we need to absolutely make him accountable. Essendon did it successfully, before Welsh got injured he kicked a few on Scarlett and shut him down.
- Apply the press - WCE won against Geelong by applying a hard , manic press. Its time we adopted a press that is tough & physical and gives no space to the Geelong back line to setup play.
- Be Physical - Lets play hard , physical footy, put intense pressure on the ball carrier /receiver, give them no time /space. Easier said than done of course but guys like Mackie /Lonergan /Wojo wont be as clean under pressure as without it.

Also we are not the only ones with players who are under done or under injury cloud.

Menzel - He is a very important player for their structure, he will be missed.
Corey will not be 100% match fit.
Stevie J - Wont be 100%
Bartel - Not sure but looked in strife on the bench. Could just be nothing.

What we need to do is pretty clear. Kick it long to the goal square. Sides have been recently flooding the back half against us and killing us on the counter straight through the guts... This has been the perfect counter to our press. This has greatly reduced our scores in recent times.. Even St Kilda did it last year against us. I think the most effective thing to do is either BOMB IT LONG to the square over their defenders, isolating a 1 on 1 contest, OR RUN IT IN to the FWD 50 arc and kick it straight over their defenders at the goals from 45m out. If we keep scoring from 45m out, EVEN IF WE MISS, it will be locked in because of the defensive press. Concept:: How are their defenders going to defend if the ball is going over their heads at goal??? Or if theyre forced in to 1 on 1s where Scarlett cant chop off the ball. I think this is how we can beat Geelong..

What's sooooooooo frustrating about this game, is that if we bring our top line tackling and pressure game, we win.

But we haven't brought that for most of this year. Can't see us turning it on out of nowhere.

I can, as much as you dislike Mick, he is loved by all the players. Not only do they know whats up for grabs if they win but also they will play for Mick as well. Expect a big game from the Pies.

What we need to do is pretty clear. Kick it long to the goal square. Sides have been recently flooding the back half against us and killing us on the counter straight through the guts... This has been the perfect counter to our press. This has greatly reduced our scores in recent times.. Even St Kilda did it last year against us. I think the most effective thing to do is either BOMB IT LONG to the square over their defenders, isolating a 1 on 1 contest, OR RUN IT IN to the FWD 50 arc and kick it straight over their defenders at the goals from 45m out. If we keep scoring from 45m out, EVEN IF WE MISS, it will be locked in because of the defensive press. Concept:: How are their defenders going to defend if the ball is going over their heads at goal??? Or if theyre forced in to 1 on 1s where Scarlett cant chop off the ball. I think this is how we can beat Geelong..

I agree to an extent.

I think Pies NEED to sacrifice a tiny bit of QUALITY of goal attempts and increase QUANTITY.

If Pies keep the goal attempts high, it pushes the Cats defensive line back, which allows Pies to have extra MEN around the 50-60 meter mark, which means more effective PRESS.

As everyone know, forward PRESS is better implemented off a goal kick in by the opposition because the Pies can get NUMBERS around the 50-60 meter mark.

nice write up. i would put leigh brown on either ottens and west while theyre resting up forward or down back and play tough intimidating football

To be honest I wouldn't really consider putting L.Brown down back. Has looked really unsettled and slow down back and really would only consider it as a worst case scenario if Reid gets injured and subbed out.
Up forward adds great tackling pressure and is a nice presence to use as either another big marking target or at least someone who can physically impose himself on the contest and bring it to ground.

MM has just said we need to be more risk-taking and use the corridor more. Last times we played geelong this year they looked the more skillful attacking team so it's a bit of a worry but we have to try to match them in this area, can't just go "tight" and defensive. It does look as if they'll be a bit better with this, just seem to be able to slice through with slick handball and loose men. One reason is that we tend to not take those risks as much, so maybe if we go all out with attack we can surprise everyone, but can't count on it.
That means we may have to compensate with other areas of the game - the press and pressure although Geelong seems to be matching that as well, and a superior attack hopefully giving more conversions per entry to compensate for Geelong's likely edge in inside 50's.

It's a bit late in the day to be going for an attacking style, having only had one quarter practicing it. Just have to play and take risks with confidence for 4 quarters - even if it backfires a fair bit just have to persist because it's too late to develop some new super press mark 2, and hope we eventually get a run-on of a lot of goals.

Wow

Also I hope Didak starts on the ground - need those superb passes into f50 to buy a couple of extra goals. Doesn't nec have to have a big disposal game, GF's are different. Looked pretty humbled by being on the bench and he would come out very intense.

Quick ball movement will be key. We didn't see it against Hawthorn in those first 3 quarters and we absolutely need it v Geelong.

I too hope Didak starts. Whether it be on a forward flank or whatever. He will command respect and accountability because we all know what he can produce at his best. Just hope he can pull out the one big game.
Blair would probably be my choice as sub at this stage.

HOW TO BEAT GEELONG: (taken from rd 9 2008)

On that night Rocca played a massive role. He played as a decoy, dragging scarlett up the field and isolating their backline. Most importantly, if we can do this on saturday, isolating cloke v taylor and dawes v lonergan, we will win. Scarlett plays well when the opposition don't make him accountable. This is a must on Saturday. Thoughts?

This is the type of thing I was discussing in an early post re. Strategy v Scarlett.
Hopefully we have a couple more tactics in mind v Scarlett but this is one I would certainly use with Dawes.

Really 100% agree with this. Early season we have been able to get it to the player streaming forward and been able to get it to them deep. Whether it be Cloke, Sidebottom or whoever. If we can get it to players in these dangerous and hard to defend positions. Might mean we get some goals on. But will be incredibly difficult to find the time + space to get this type of quality delivery.

I agree with most of what has ben said,but what I cant get my head around is why most are saying we need to tag everyone.
They would love it if we make Daisy play a defensive game.
He is one of our most imporant and attacking players.
Yes,we need to limit a couple of their players in the centre,but our midfield is as strong,if not stronger than theirs.
We need to stop their run out of the backline and pile the pressure on around the forward line and midfield.
If we get precise ball movement into our forward 50,instead of bombing it long and high, we have the big bodies down there to take the mark or bring the ball to ground for our smaller players to swoop on.
I have complete faith in our backline. Our defence will hold up.
We need the likes of Shaw,Davis and Obrien taking the game on,running hard out of defence and setting up the play further down field.

I honostly believe the more scoreboard pressure we put on them, whether its behind or goals will be more effective than physical presence. Just keep smashing it at goal.. Thats how we wrecked them last year.. It will make their defenders second guess.. Collingwood really needs to worry about playing the way WE want to play than worry too much about geelongs players..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with the feeling of the last 2 posts, I hope we don't focus too much on trying to tag their players out of the game.

The best pressure is scoreboard pressure, of course to achieve this we need to get the matchups right and certainly we will have to have some players play with a predominantly negative/defensive mindset. However, we will hopefully back ourselves in, win enough midfield ball and have our forwards structured up and performing in a way to lead to many I50s and scoring opportunities.

I can see the game going through long scoring droughts as well as rushes of goals, we need to take advantage when we have the momentum and keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Important matchups:

James Podsiadly – Alan Toovey: While others will be pushing for Tarrant v Podsiadly I REALLY want to see Toovey take him and I think we can really surprise Geelong with this matchup and do the best job at containing him. Has in the past done well against some talls this year and I trust him to shut down any forward of any size or type. Doesn’t lose one on ones and will just spoil anything that comes his way. Podsiadly has the size advantage but Tooves has played bigger before and should be able to compensate for this with his smarts. For mine is the perfect matchup for the dangerous old fella.

Mate no chance of that happening. Cats love kicking long to 1:1 Pods and that woudl be a nightmare (excuse pun) for mine.

Otherwise a good read. Personally I think we match up well on them and whilst they have introduced some more speed I think we are still quicker on our day.

How I hope it plays out;

High Tempo

Cats love a high tempo game. Slow games dont suit us and thats what the Hawks and WCE did to us. Sure it was a higher tempo in 24 but I wouldnt pay much attention to it. last years replay was a high tempo game and we generally score heaviily with our goal kicking mids featuring heavily.

Tarrant and Reid

Tarrant and Reid getting job done on Hawkins and Pods. They love kickiing it in long to these blokes. We cant let Tazz and Reid by isolated and thats why Maxy is a big in on the '24 clash.

Shaw, Reid, Davis and Maxwell all back

These 4 didnt play in '24 and they are crucial. If Tazz, Maxy and Reid can bring the ball to ground then I think we can rebound it and get in in quickly via Shaw and Davis who didnt play in that game

What to do with Scarlett

I would think about tagging. Doubt it though as Mick and Scotty will be happy to have Maxy and Scarlett be loose at either end. As much as it pains me but I think Scarlett is better than Maxwell so I wouldnt let this happen.

Last time the pressure on the Cats' backline was basically non-existent. Being there at the match, you noticed that we had our players vaguely set up for a press but nobody was applying the pressure required to carry out. So essentially you had half the team out of position as Geelong waltzed out of their half back line straight through the guts and left our backs exposed terribly and often outnumbered. Our guys' minds simply weren't in it, they went into preservation mode and didn't want to get physical and so everything falls apart. Static players everywhere, half our guys may have been witches hats. Missed tackles everywhere and that will cost finals. Structurally we haven't been that consistent in the second half of the year, relying too much on our flair and talent, but that will only take you so far. Geelong have been incredibly disciplined this year in their defence so it will take a big effort to beat them.

The press only works if the players subscribe to it 100% and have the mindset to carry out, otherwise it actually becomes a liability in certain cases because it's difficult to help out the defenders from the fast opposition break. Last time Geelong set up nearly all of their play off their half back line with no pressure whatsoever, there's no way we can allow that again. The ball has to stay in our half and we have to control the flow of ball movement.

Late last year our players were buzzing around opposition players and manic in their attack on the man, they would just close in on them all the time and not give them an inch. Right now we're taking short steps and being tentative, our tackles are limp and certain players aren't playing with the endeavour required or look too tired or injured.

We need to lift our game and draw upon what made us a great team to begin with.

Thats exactly right and I can tell you (fact) that was the coaches view as well. Cue basically went into the rack at half time but was very unhappy about the breakdown in the defensive structure. Think #26 will be primed for a much better game and some of the other culprits arent playing.

I see a few key ingredients:

1. At least break even in the centre square. The Cats absolutely tore the Hawks to pieces in the centre square, that's where the game was won. If they go forward, they lock it in, and their dominance in the air makes it difficult to get out.

2. Be brave. This is not the time to go long down the line every time we move forward. We are a side that relies on winning 1 on 1 contests, whether it be in the air, or at ground level. This is the one side that can match us - and on their day, beat us - at both. Coming in from the back flank and wing, we need to spot up more central targets. Play on at ALL costs. Break their press open, create space, incite fast movement towards goal. This is imperative, not only to create more scoring opportunities in better positions, but to avoid having to kick long inside 50 to Taylor, Enright, and Scarlett.

3. Manic, ferocious, ruthless pressure. We won a flag with it, we haven't seen it since. Rattle them, send a message from the opening bounce, "WE WILL NOT DIE WONDERING!" Tear them to shreds, attack the ball carrier in numbers, nullify the receivers, force them backwards and FORCE THE TURNOVER. If they want to kick long under pressure, we will slaughter them. This is why Goldsack must play, this is why Blair and Sidebottom must play, and by god, every man wearing black and white would want to dig deep and tackle like their lives depended on it. This is not the time to leave anything in the tank, there is no tomorrow, do it for Mick if you can't do it for yourselves or the guys next to you!

4. Finally, make the most of every opportunity. No flashy stuff, no selfishness, get the ball and kick a ****ing goal. We know they're not going to waste many opportunities, we need to make them pay.

Hard, uncompromising football. If we do this... we will win the flag. Bring it.

Shaw, Reid, Davis and Maxwell all back

These 4 didnt play in '24 and they are crucial. If Tazz, Maxy and Reid can bring the ball to ground then I think we can rebound it and get in in quickly via Shaw and Davis who didnt play in that game

quote]

Reid did play and was one of the rare few that held his own head high.

Important matchups:
Joel Selwood –Luke Ball: Only Ball can match Selwood through the midfield and must go head to head with Geelong’s next captain...

didnt feel the need to quote the whole post, but excellent write up...

just curious on your thoughts on the coaching match up? obviously MM is far more experienced, but scott has shown a bit. if you have any personal analysis on respective game plans and game day nous id be quite happy to hear it...

enjoy the week guys :thumbsu:

IMHO

Stop Scarlett having an impact and we win.

We just need our confidence back, we've been playing safe with a not to lose mentality, still been good enough to win but we'll get done by 6 goals if we play tight again this time, need to take risks, play on more, quick movement and not be scared of making mistakes through the corridor, we are the better team, we are the more talented team but as i said, we just need to loosen up a bit, the gamplan is sound, we just need to implement it better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back