Preview How to beat Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

lets talk match-ups and tactics.. It's most likely going to be a wet and contested ball game, who does everyone think should line up on Chapman, everyone has been raving on about this guy and how much the wet weather will favour him cos hes got guts and an in and under player, whos got the strength to line up on him and keep up in this weather?

lets talk match-ups and tactics.. It's most likely going to be a wet and contested ball game, who does everyone think should line up on Chapman, everyone has been raving on about this guy and how much the wet weather will favour him cos hes got guts and an in and under player, whos got the strength to line up on him and keep up in this weather?

IMO, with Menzel and SJ out he will need to kick 3 or 4 goals for the Cats to have a chance. Also, he runs in straight lines these days so so it will be interesting who takes him....maybe toovs? back but they will rotate on him i imagine.

i don't think we will go in with too much of a defensive/tagging game plan. Just stick to the structures that got us here and make them accountable and worrying about our players in the first quarter. I sincerely think the first quarter defines this game...if our intensity and scoreboard pressure is good enough to make them second guess themselves then we will be heading for another flag

Finally, I cannot believe more is not being made about the Stevie Johnson loss...that is a disaster for them that the media don't seem to give a shit about. After the Menzel loss it is huge.

Plan B - Fasolo comes on at 3 quarter time and kicks 4 goals to seal the game :)

Finally, I cannot believe more is not being made about the Stevie Johnson loss...that is a disaster for them that the media don't seem to give a shit about. After the Menzel loss it is huge.

:)

The media have been hyping up Geelong all week, don't be too surprised. Watch, once we win the flag everyone will say "best team all year, never in doubt" and all that contrived bullsh*t.

Have only heard one media person tip the Pies all week - Grant Thomas:eek: everyone was writing us off before the GF replay last year, and look what happened:D

Don't know where you are getting your information from larrikan but most sources are indicating that Stevey J will play.

The two matchups I like for Chapman are Shaw and as one some might not have considered Leon Davis. Think both have the speed + strength for the matchup. Personally really keen to give Leon a challenging matchup. Think that would be a great way for Mick to show faith in him and might actually give him that little bit more confidence. But Shaw still probably my choice since he has proven that he can play big on the big occasion.

Would think most will likely still favour Ben Johnson/ Toovey for Chapman. But personally more keen for Toovey to play bigger as someone who can spoil a leading forward then Johnson to play more up field because I don't think he is as suited to those minutes deep down back if dragged there by Chappy.

As a side note. Would love Goldy to be playing great in the wet weather. But think emotionally he wouldn't be able to get up for the game - really someone who is very much a confidence player and don't think after those weeks out of the side that his confidence will be fully there.

Don't know where you are getting your information from larrikan but most sources are indicating that Stevey J will play.

Forget the media because they are speculating so much for injury headlines but this week Scott has said 50/50 SJ...tonight his mate Billy Brownless on the FS said he would have to be on the doubtful side. If he does play, his form when playing injured is not good. He will be put through a rugged fitness test tomorrow but a knee could swell and be a problem Saturday morning. Finally, I think a knee injury is hindered by the wet heavy conditions.

It's simple....get the ball first and tackle hard and keep putting pressure on them, the ball will turn over and we'll score.

imo the game will depend on inside 50s, contested possesions and long kicks.

If it rains long kicks + gaining ground will be a big theme and probably one that hasn't been discussed all that much in this thread. But will on the day become of great relevance.

This bloke has done the job before, no reason why he can't repeat the dose.

pZjSg.jpg

Forget the media because they are speculating so much for injury headlines but this week Scott has said 50/50 SJ...tonight his mate Billy Brownless on the FS said he would have to be on the doubtful side. If he does play, his form when playing injured is not good. He will be put through a rugged fitness test tomorrow but a knee could swell and be a problem Saturday morning. Finally, I think a knee injury is hindered by the wet heavy conditions.
IMO the only reason they would play Stevie J is as a decoy. Having seen the trauma that his knee endured last week it would be miraculous for him to be anywhere near 100% fit. I personally hope he plays because even when 100% fit he never really does much against us.

who are we going to play on scarlett? I think that has been overlooked. We cant let him be the loose man. We need someone who will comand his respect much liek the caff did last year. Thats why i really rate him as the 3rd tall/ defenciver forward. If his direct opponent decided to zone off bang! hed have a massive qtr. Just look at some of his massive super coach scores last year. Most of those were him scoring 70+ points in a qtr when a player decided to zone off and be the 3rd man up against the twin towers.

Who can get the job on scarlett? Goldy i thought was ideal, but i dont think hes going to play now. Needs to be someone with decent height and able to match him physically. Maxwell could do the job, but i wouldnt want to waste our loose man just to take out theres.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who are we going to play on scarlett? I think that has been overlooked. We cant let him be the loose man. We need someone who will comand his respect much liek the caff did last year. Thats why i really rate him as the 3rd tall/ defenciver forward. If his direct opponent decided to zone off bang! hed have a massive qtr. Just look at some of his massive super coach scores last year. Most of those were him scoring 70+ points in a qtr when a player decided to zone off and be the 3rd man up against the twin towers.

Who can get the job on scarlett? Goldy i thought was ideal, but i dont think hes going to play now. Needs to be someone with decent height and able to match him physically. Maxwell could do the job, but i wouldnt want to waste our loose man just to take out theres.
Hopefully nobody. If we find ourselves chasing cats tails then the game is already over. We want cats chasing our tails not the other way around.

Hopefully nobody. If we find ourselves chasing cats tails then the game is already over. We want cats chasing our tails not the other way around.
Hes the only one i would bother tagging.
Chappy SJ Stokes etc all will have johnson, shaw, leon, harry o, maxwell thats no worries
Pods and hawkins got tarrant and reid. No worries
our mids head to head with any other mids i would back ours.
Our forward line is strong. Cloke and dawes will molest lonagan and taylor 1 on 1. But if they have scarlett playing loose and not paying his opponent any respect thats just a recipe for disaster imo.

Maybe try something cheeky and send shaw there? he would deffs be comanding respect. We all saw how damaging he can be in the forward in last years gf

Hes the only one i would bother tagging.
Chappy SJ Stokes etc all will have johnson, shaw, leon, harry o, maxwell thats no worries
Pods and hawkins got tarrant and reid. No worries
our mids head to head with any other mids i would back ours.
Our forward line is strong. Cloke and dawes will molest lonagan and taylor 1 on 1. But if they have scarlett playing loose and not paying his opponent any respect thats just a recipe for disaster imo.

Maybe try something cheeky and send shaw there? he would deffs be comanding respect. We all saw how damaging he can be in the forward in last years gf
Sorry but I can't agree. It may happen if things don't go to plan but I'm betting Mick is planning on making cats chase tail and that means having an extra in the backline. It's a strategy you have to be prepared to back away from quickly if it goes pear shaped but it's one he has shown time and time again he will pursue whan possible. If we line up in a way that indicates we're worried about their playmakers then half the psychological battle is already lost. We need to make a statement by getting out there and showing them that we are the team that they need to worry about and not vice-versa.

Sorry but I can't agree. It may happen if things don't go to plan but I'm betting Mick is planning on making cats chase tail and that means having an extra in the backline. It's a strategy you have to be prepared to back away from quickly if it goes pear shaped but it's one he has shown time and time again he will pursue whan possible. If we line up in a way that indicates we're worried about their playmakers then half the psychological battle is already lost. We need to make a statement by getting out there and showing them that we are the team that they need to worry about and not vice-versa.
No need to apologise for your opinion :D

I just dont think that mick will let him be loose. i understand that you have to back your game plan and structures etc. However against the sides with those certain playmakers, St kilda with fisher, we havent left him loose this year like we have in the past which leads me to believe we will do the same against scarlett.

No need to apologise for your opinion :D

I just dont think that mick will let him be loose. i understand that you have to back your game plan and structures etc. However against the sides with those certain playmakers, St kilda with fisher, we havent left him loose this year like we have in the past which leads me to believe we will do the same against scarlett.
lol. Fair enough. It will be interesting to see what happens but the psychological battle is such a huge factor in GF's.

Geelong are the betting and tipsters favorites, but they all seem to be forgetting that Collingwood have the extra days break. I think this is an advantage, especially when wet weather is predicted. Also Collingwood belted Freo a few weeks ago in wet conditions and kicked a big score.

i think they are more favoured by the wet. With Ling, Bartel, Kelly and Selwood they just have that bit extra body strength around the contest for mine.

Anyway we beat these blokes by just going all out like we did last qtr last week. That footy beats anyone.

I'm also a believer that the rain also suits Geelong.

Helps their backline because it means a gain ground style game will be played and that tends to result in plenty of kicking in long to our forwardline - which Geelong can easily exploit.

Podsaidly + Ottens strike me as very good scorers in the rain and don't necessarily think their production will drop off as it will with Cloke + Dawes.

Also don't expect Geelong's skills to drop off with the wet weather either. They are fantastic at executing their skills in the wet and by far and away at the best at it in the league.

Hoping for a dry day..

Melbourne area
Cloudy. Rain, easing to isolated showers with possible hail during the afternoon then clearing overnight. Winds south to southeasterly averaging up to 30 km/h.

I agree with you. Scarlett is one of the players who may cut us up and the other one is Ottens. I would have brought Goldsack in for Didak to line up on Scarlett.

I don't think Didak will give us anything. He has lost a yard of pace and is forced to do everything under pressure now. Plus his defensive side is just not there for a GF.

We also need a new game plan. The forward press has been picked apart and if we stick to the boundary line without an effective press we will struggle to kick 10 goals. Keeping Geelong to 10 goals will be incredibly difficult. Their long kicking to the goal square will give then many opportunities to score. We need to mix up the boundary line with a few risks down the centre corridor.

I agree with you. Scarlett is one of the players who may cut us up and the other one is Ottens. I would have brought Goldsack in for Didak to line up on Scarlett.

I don't think Didak will give us anything. He has lost a yard of pace and is forced to do everything under pressure now. Plus his defensive side is just not there for a GF.

We also need a new game plan. The forward press has been picked apart and if we stick to the boundary line without an effective press we will struggle to kick 10 goals. Keeping Geelong to 10 goals will be incredibly difficult. Their long kicking to the goal square will give then many opportunities to score. We need to mix up the boundary line with a few risks down the centre corridor.
I don't really agree with this. Didak is still fast, he just seems like he's lost his endurance/stamina for repeated sprints. Against West Coast he put in a few really good runs.

Also the game plan is fine, it just hasn't been as effective with a few players out of form/drop in intensity. In saying that we've kept teams to low scores, so you could say it's been our attack that's dropped lately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview How to beat Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back