Preview How to beat Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I cant agree that the wet suits Geelong more than us. We have more than proven ourselves in that dept. I feel that we need to review the season as a whole - it's a better indicator - it's too simplistic to just reflect on the previous 3 games "form".

In considering the relative strength of the mids we are barely lighter than them - "pack weights wise" Cats six (Ottens 106kg, Ling 92kg, Bartel 88kg, Corey 89kg, Kelly 88kg and Selwood 86kg) vs (Jolly 108kg, Swan 92kg, Pendles 91kg, Wellers 85kg, Thomas 86kg and Ball 83kg). Add all that up and they are only about 5 kilos heavier!

Now the girls at work tell me that hoops and white make people look bigger - where as stripes and black have the thinning effect - now i see why i'm reading about the Cats bigger bodies!:p It's an optical illusion people!

It just doesnt stop there though - I believe where our boys stand out is their pace - Swan, Wellers and Daisy kill theirs. In respect to output the Cats mids are a far more even bunch than ours.

I would rank players individual overall performance over the season as such:
Swan - does it all, goals, gut runs - strength
Pendles - silky and poised
Kelly - absolute gun - underrated.
Ottens - been awesome this year - strangely durable!
Daisy - hard to rank just so important for us!
Selwood - a little down - sadly loves turning it on against us!
Ball - bloody brilliant
Bartel - still very good
Corey - much better than last year
Ling - keeps on keeping on pace queries?
Wellers - not consistent enough
Jolly - under a cloud and below last year.

As regards the scoreboard - their six have delivered 80 goals - our six 114 goals.

Tackles - Cats six mids, 623 - our six mids, 580.

Contested ball - Cats six mids 1217 - our six mids, 1274.

These stats, reflect better to me the overall effectiveness of each respective mid field - than the last three games in isolation.

It seems to me that of the last 4 sides Geelong have played since their bye in round 22, only one side has served them up the type of pressure game I am expecting from our boys on Saturday - Sydney. For the record in contested ball alone, since round 24 Geelong have bossed this stat - vs Pies 153-131, vs Hawks 162-132 and vs Eagles 154-142 (have to mention that the Eagles only laid a measly 49 tackles!!)

In round 23 the Swans won contested ball 164 to 159 and the tackles 93 to 89, smashed in the clearances 50 to 34 - these numbers for mine reflect more the intensity of a GF, especially a moist one! I fully expect our lads to serve up exactly these type of numbers against Geelong!

That day Mummy was colossal - today Jolls must go out and do his thing and not allow Ottens to rule - at worst break even. West will be interesting - i do expect him to have an impact also - looked strong against the Hawks in that QF. This battle is not the be all and end all but it does potentially give Geelong a decent spring board....

As for the big forwards - if the rain is falling I can see both sets of defenses being well on top - our backs should be able to cover more ground than theirs - we will need to watch that corridor though - maybe even use the bloody thing a bit more!:eek: Neon, Heater and Harry can be expected to run and carry through their lines better than Mackie, Enright and Wojcinski. What does concern me here is that the Geelong backs do dispose of the ball more accurately than ours - here our boys will need to turn up the heat - not allowing easy Geelong access out of defence! Pressure Pressure Pressure!

Forwards I hope that Sidebottom, Blair, Didak and Krak can be just as damaging as Varcoe, Stokes, Christensen and Chappy at ground level. Goals scored over the year - Cats quartet 98 goals, Pies four 91. Here our backs will need to clamp down on their forwards. Up the other end, hopefully ours will be quick and elusive enough to find the gap between the big sticks.

Where the Cats do pose extra problems is Johnson and Duncan - Geelong have dangerous ground players who can all kick a goal - six in total.

I do realise that in Chappy and Johnson they have game winning know how - with great help from elusive types in Varcoe/Stokes - with the young kids Christensen and Duncan - keep these six to say 8 goals or less and.....

We have five including Fasolo. We need the big boys to keep the ball locked in to force enough contests in forward 50 for our mids to assist with the goal kicking. I do back Trav to be the most effective forward from either side today - in the wet he should still find a way to snag a few goals - i expect him to fully wear down those leaner Cats talls - no easy task mind! Scarlo will be marshaling his troops frenetically. With Dawes and Leroy though there should be ample opportunity to catch them out one on one often enough! This season our three "gorillas" have contributed 115 majors - the Cats med/talls (Pods, Hawkins and Stevie J) - 122 goals.

Now this game should be a real tough, relentless, uncompromising, "trench warfare type" of affair. The side who shows the most desire and flair will win - the bounce of the ball wont hurt either;)!

I believe that we have the necessary mix of pace, strength and desire - as do the Cats - so there should be nothing in it - Pies pace and goal kicking mids to get us over the line in a nail biter - i believe!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview How to beat Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back