Strategy How to improve in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Good article. We are definite choosing better handball options, and our F50 entries are looking better.

From a game plan perspective things are looking ok.
But our backline is weaker and we still turn it over a bit to much in the middle of the ground with handballs at players' feet or heads. With a tendency (indeed often a necessity) for the mids to run hard forward these matters of execution become crucial.

Good article. We are definite choosing better handball options, and our F50 entries are looking better.

From a game plan perspective things are looking ok.
But our backline is weaker and we still turn it over a bit to much in the middle of the ground with handballs at players' feet or heads. With a tendency (indeed often a necessity) for the mids to run hard forward these matters of execution become crucial.
I think we are striving for more handball but overshooting. Sometimes a kick is still a better option than a handball to a player standing still with his back to goal.

Also, are we leaving a bit in the tank for our last quarters? Or is it just superior fitness?

I recon they deliberately hold back a bit, especially in second quarters they don't seem to run as hard.
I think we're physically bigger than most opponents and this does help. Certainly, players like Blicavs, Danger, Tuohy, Guthrie and Menegola are big, strong midfielders and so as the game slows up it plays to their strengths.

Also, in the last quarter I suspect we tend to revert more to a Dangerwood in the guts and Taylor back setup...

I think we're physically bigger than most opponents and this does help. Certainly, players like Blicavs, Danger, Tuohy, Guthrie and Menegola are big, strong midfielders and so as the game slows up it plays to their strengths.

Also, in the last quarter I suspect we tend to revert more to a Dangerwood in the guts and Taylor back setup...

Agree with all of that by the fatigue in our opponents come final quarters is noticeable.

Also, are we leaving a bit in the tank for our last quarters? Or is it just superior fitness?

I recon they deliberately hold back a bit, especially in second quarters they don't seem to run as hard.

It appears as though Selwood and Dangerfield aren't in the midfield (or more precisely: centre bounces) nearly as much as in the first 3/4s...

I aint got no stats though :D

RoCo is not the worst journo..he certainly has a general respect for us ... but fairly sure he didn't select us for finals.

The handball & play-on approach.. is a return of sorts , its like the prodigal son of Geelong football tactics.

Gone is the the too tall backline with the constipated ball movement in the name of ball retention and arrived is a smaller , less jelled backline that is far from a finished product yet its creating a more traditional rebound. The backline should only get better from here. Kolo still to come in , Thurlow has shown a twinkle of his form.

Less press , more stay at home in D... so are we simply fresher later in games? Can anyone get K's from GPS data? Id like to see if the other side has run more at 3/4 time than us?

Id love to have another couple of Cockatoo types with that smerky agro. Im not sure we have enough mongrels , time will tell. Im happier with the way we are playing but I will not be getting over excited for a while yet. Some big games still to come. Even this week. Pies on the back foot..if we can dispose of them like a used tissue then it will add to the aura build

I think we are striving for more handball but overshooting. Sometimes a kick is still a better option than a handball to a player standing still with his back to goal.

Spot on. This with trying to play on at all costs is sometimes hurting us. We need to look before we leap especially in a crowd.

RoCo is not the worst journo..he certainly has a general respect for us ... but fairly sure he didn't select us for finals.

The handball & play-on approach.. is a return of sorts , its like the prodigal son of Geelong football tactics.

Gone is the the too tall backline with the constipated ball movement in the name of ball retention and arrived is a smaller , less jelled backline that is far from a finished product yet its creating a more traditional rebound. The backline should only get better from here. Kolo still to come in , Thurlow has shown a twinkle of his form.

Less press , more stay at home in D... so are we simply fresher later in games? Can anyone get K's from GPS data? Id like to see if the other side has run more at 3/4 time than us?

Id love to have another couple of Cockatoo types with that smerky agro. Im not sure we have enough mongrels , time will tell. Im happier with the way we are playing but I will not be getting over excited for a while yet. Some big games still to come. Even this week. Pies on the back foot..if we can dispose of them like a used tissue then it will add to the aura build

Having watched the Parson's two games... there is a bit of rev head in there IMO. Not saying the Hodge Elbow was rev head - it was poor and should have gotten what it did - but he's a physical player that does not mind all forms of contact. Needs bigger sample size still but I like the edge so far.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having watched the Parson's two games... there is a bit of rev head in there IMO. Not saying the Hodge Elbow was rev head - it was poor and should have gotten what it did - but he's a physical player that does not mind all forms of contact. Needs bigger sample size still but I like the edge so far.

Go Catters

Perhaps. Vdubs would be able specify what he was like in the juniors but what I have seen he more at the ball type who is not off by a bit of contact. Listening to Brereton the other day , either his father or uncle was quite a physical player.

I've got a got feeling our game plan is built around efficiency. Roco actually mentions it.
And possibly, our defensive setup is causing teams to burn up a bit trying to work through it.
It's quite possible we aren't actually fitter than any other team, but we just aren't wasting as much oxygen in a game.

I've got a got feeling our game plan is built around efficiency. Roco actually mentions it.
And possibly, our defensive setup is causing teams to burn up a bit trying to work through it.
It's quite possible we aren't actually fitter than any other team, but we just aren't wasting as much oxygen in a game.

Absolutely agree with that. Feel that the north, saints and melb all had similar types who burn brightly but as the game went on dropped intensity just as we picked ours up. I thought though they were still going until about the ten minute mark of the last. When they kicked their one and only goal in the qtr they weren't far behind. Then whooshker! At some point someone is going to try the same thing. Interesting to see what happens then.

Collingwood will try the same as last year to get a fast start and get some confidence. If they don't get going early I suspect they may finally drop their heads later in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps. Vdubs would be able specify what he was like in the juniors but what I have seen he more at the ball type who is not off by a bit of contact. Listening to Brereton the other day , either his father or uncle was quite a physical player.
2 years at Eastern- fearless, attacking skilled hbf/winger. Only noticed him later in his second year. Can not really comment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back