Autopsy Cats lose to Demons by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching the replay of the 2nd half - and i know the 1st 3 qtrs were dreary but the last qtr by both sides skill wise given the conditions was pretty good and good to watch , their wasnt much chip short passing

But the positives for Geel , Max Holmes is now a top class player , love how he moves with that pace and his kicking has improved out of sight

Jack Bowes , last year was a write off because of that calf injury , but he is now a good imortant player for Geel - very handy acquisition

Zach Guthrie is now a consistently good player , and Cam was moving brilliantly in that last qtr , so given the toe injury last year , and then another long term injury this year , it now looks all good for him which is very good for Geel

Geel didnt do much wrong in the last qtr , considering Gawn has kicked a 65 metre goal nand a Melb player kicked a Peter Daicos special type dribbling goal

How Geel played i think they will beat Pt Ade by about 12 goals

That Geel side . id like to see Dangerfield and Mannagh to come into , so 2 obviously have to go out , and i think Geel have got a pretty strong side

Thanks Billy, love to be reminded of the many positives. As Scott loves to tell us, no game is a given. But hope you are right we need the percentage.
We are very lucky with success, and not hampered by injury that cruelled us last year.
Touch wood.

Last edited:
Only just watched the replay as I was out bush camping, but my take on the game is simple, Melbourne are a better team than us and I thought we did well to only just lose. Seriously how much better is their midfield with Oliver, Trac, Viney and Gawn? That shits on ours. Backs May and Lever? Forwards Pickett Fritz? I think we did well to get that close.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Boo!

Hawkins will equal Joel’s games record on Friday. We then have to play GC in Darwin the following Thursday (6 day break). Maybe the plan is he stays home that weekend and has a rest, stays fresh to break the record against GWS back at KP the week after.
Maybe Duncan & Stanley do the same.

Certain in hawk's case i would say.
Neale will come in if hes fit (and if hes not fit after today we will reshuffle).

Stanley wont go to darwin nor will duncan or tuohy imo.
Guthrie will play bc he needs the continuity.
Id love to rest blicavs but im not sure we have a replacement.

Please refer to this link
He can play as a key marking forward and also ruckman.
We picked him even though we have Conway coming through.
We did take him with our second pick so the club must see promise in him as do I. We even picked him before Mannagh so that is saying something. Needs time but I see something there.

Go Mitchell.

Yes he is a ruckman in under 18s.

But Do people think he could be a genuine Key Forward? I mean actually convert as a Key forward.

Please refer to this link
He can play as a key marking forward and also ruckman.
We picked him even though we have Conway coming through.
We did take him with our second pick so the club must see promise in him as do I. We even picked him before Mannagh so that is saying something. Needs time but I see something there.

Go Mitchell.

Everyone who gets drafted looks great in their highlight reel. Billie Smedts looked great in his highlight reel, so did Shane Kersten. Hell, even Cooper Whyte looked great in his draft reel. Draft reels, against other underage kids, don't tell much.

Yes, he has potential. So does every single player picked last year. None of us can say that Pick 32 "will be ok" at AFL level without any kind of exposure to the VFL system yet.

Same goes for saying that Lawson Humphries "will be a star". The guy is 21 - as much as he's impressed in his VFL work so far, he's a long way behind fellow 21yos Ollie Henry, Max Holmes and Tanner Bruhn.

Gold Coast won't be a easy game
I think it's reasonable to say that on current form, Hawkins isn't making the side better.

I know that guys like Lingy talk up the value of Hawk as "occupying the best defender" and the like - but Lingy captained Hawkins, and played with him for five years and two flags. He has too much personally invested in that relationship to call for Hawk to come out of the side.

Steven May had 13 marks last night. If that's not running off your man with impunity, I don't want to know what is. Weitering did the same but not quite as well; Harris Andrews came off him a fair bit at the Gabba. The 'decoy' argument doesn't fly with me. Any tall bastard can be a decoy.

It's not just the last four weeks that are the problem either, it's Hawk's last 10 or so calendar months going back to the season break in 2023.

Yes he is a ruckman in under 18s.

But Do people think he could be a genuine Key Forward? I mean actually convert as a Key forward.
Very, very few players make a success of being a key forward at AFL level having come through as a ruckman, or in fact any other position.

Ben Graham and Harry Taylor both had a go at it but with limited success IMO. They always looked a bit like square pegs in round holes.

Certain in hawk's case i would say.
Neale will come in if hes fit (and if hes not fit after today we will reshuffle).

Stanley wont go to darwin nor will duncan or tuohy imo.
Guthrie will play bc he needs the continuity.
Id love to rest blicavs but im not sure we have a replacement.
Only thing remotely close is putting Knevitt in on the wing which is where Blitz is spending a lot of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Neale not able to replace Tom in Darwin I think they go with Rohan Jezza and Henry (with the older Henry who can pinch hit if needed)…Almost certain they will want Tom to have his record breaking game at GMHBA

I agree tom wont go to darwin.
If neale is injured you either put cos/jeka in the 22 and send jack fwd. Or you play rohan at FF and set up smaller.

Only thing remotely close is putting Knevitt in on the wing which is where Blitz is spending a lot of time.

He is the one but i dont believe he can ruck (despite him doing it at vfl level). So if he takes the blitz wing spot then sdk has to play 2nd ruck (unless neale also comes in and does).

Everyone who gets drafted looks great in their highlight reel. Billie Smedts looked great in his highlight reel, so did Shane Kersten. Hell, even Cooper Whyte looked great in his draft reel. Draft reels, against other underage kids, don't tell much.

Yes, he has potential. So does every single player picked last year. None of us can say that Pick 32 "will be ok" at AFL level without any kind of exposure to the VFL system yet.

Same goes for saying that Lawson Humphries "will be a star". The guy is 21 - as much as he's impressed in his VFL work so far, he's a long way behind fellow 21yos Ollie Henry, Max Holmes and Tanner Bruhn.
I reckon you get a fair idea of their potential from the special little things they do. Dempsey looked a gun on the reel, so did Tim Kelly, Clark looked good too. Smelts I think could’ve been super but injuries screwed him.
The highlights that stick with you, I reckon that’s what matters from my perspective.

Disagree about Sydney. They had a stat on one of the footy shows the other day that Heeney is involved in something like 80% of their scores.
If he goes down it’s goodnight Sydney.
Collingwood were rubbish last year when Daicos went down.

No Heeney, and how many games do Sydney win?
It’s being selective imo. Every team has flaws. Gone are the days when we had powerhouse teams who lost maybe 2-3 games for the year.

Statistically, Collingwood were the worst team in history to win it last year. They had/have massive flaws

As I said earlier, we share the load more than any other team.
That’s a huge strength.
Good points.

I see it a bit differently.
You are probably correct. I focus on our perceived weaknesses and the oppositions' perceived strengths perhaps unhealthily.

Was concerned about the lack of Danger last night, and that to me was relevant. He does more than indiscriminate kicks into the forward line. He is a ferocious beast and is still critical for our success. We have won games without him, true. Let's see how we go against these teams in May who have elite mids.
And JC. He has been the factor in several of our wins, as he should be; it's why he was recruited.
We are lucky that Zac Guthrie is so accomplished and can cover for Stewart.

I'm glad that most posters still feel we are strongly in contention.
After watching the replay of the 2nd half - and i know the 1st 3 qtrs were dreary but the last qtr by both sides skill wise given the conditions was pretty good and good to watch , their wasnt much chip short passing

But the positives for Geel , Max Holmes is now a top class player , love how he moves with that pace and his kicking has improved out of sight

Jack Bowes , last year was a write off because of that calf injury , but he is now a good imortant player for Geel - very handy acquisition

Zach Guthrie is now a consistently good player , and Cam was moving brilliantly in that last qtr , so given the toe injury last year , and then another long term injury this year , it now looks all good for him which is very good for Geel

Geel didnt do much wrong in the last qtr , considering Gawn has kicked a 65 metre goal nand a Melb player kicked a Peter Daicos special type dribbling goal

How Geel played i think they will beat Pt Ade by about 12 goals

That Geel side . id like to see Dangerfield and Mannagh to come into , so 2 obviously have to go out , and i think Geel have got a pretty strong side
Danger has a 6 weeker we've been told, so not coming in anytime soon.

Very, very few players make a success of being a key forward at AFL level having come through as a ruckman, or in fact any other position.

Ben Graham and Harry Taylor both had a go at it but with limited success IMO. They always looked a bit like square pegs in round holes.
Disagree.
Both were more than handy up forward, but were critical in defence.
Benny kicked 33 goals in 2001, equal top, while being captain, not bad at CHF in a crap team.'
In 2004, his final season, 39 goals.

Him too especially if its humid and wet/slippery.

You could go in with a front group of cameron ollie and rohan plus our current smalls and mannagh up there

But then threre Brodie Miocheck and Andrew McNaughton who change to different positions. From defence to forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back